Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 9:17:33 AM EST
A few people I know...including a gunsmith in my area does not believe that this exists. He pretty much told me I was a dumbass for purchasing U.S. parts for my mak90. He tried to tell me it was all a scam to make me spend money yadda yadda yadda. Anyways I just spent a good amount of time searching ATF's website for this regulation. Well I found some other parts of the 922 law but not section R.

Can someone help me out? I want to prove to him before he sells illegal guns or whatever to someone who doesn't know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:16:35 AM EST
Here is the actual US Code: 18 U.S.C. Section 922 scroll down to find section (r)

There is also this letter on the ATF webiste Letter noting Section 922(r) is still valid

Plus there is this Q&A on their website.

Q: Does the expiration of the SAW ban change laws regarding assembly of nonsporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts?

A: No. The provisions of section 922(r) of the GCA and the regulations in 27 CFR 478.39 regarding assembly of non-sporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts still apply.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:43:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:10:17 AM EST
Makes sense now. I see why my MAK90 was exempt from having the american parts now.

I should have plenty of U.S. parts now anyways. Since I want to add a pistol grip and a telescopic ar15 stock. Actually thats 2 more parts. Between those parts, my tapco g2 trigger group, tapco gas piston, choate front forgrips and my US made ak74 pin on muzzle break I think I should be legal. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:31:01 AM EST
Tagged
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:36:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 11:46:38 AM EST by I-M-A-WMD]

Deleted, I don't want to know- My head hurts enough.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:45:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By SickMAK90:
Makes sense now. I see why my MAK90 was exempt from having the american parts now.

I should have plenty of U.S. parts now anyways. Since I want to add a pistol grip and a telescopic ar15 stock. Actually thats 2 more parts. Between those parts, my tapco g2 trigger group, tapco gas piston, choate front forgrips and my US made ak74 pin on muzzle break I think I should be legal. Thanks.

There is info that I keep here that may be useful as well....

quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:46:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By I-M-A-WMD:

It is unlawful for anyone to manufacture, possess, or transfer a
semiautomatic assault weapon except as provided in section 922(v)
of the GCA. A semiautomatic assault weapon which was lawfully
possessed on September 13, 1994, may still be lawfully possessed
and transferred. A firearm which did not meet the definition of a
semiautomatic assault weapon on September 13, 1994, does not
qualify for this exemption.

Which "GCA" act are they referring to? My hunch is it's the 1994 law but I've never heard of any "GCA" other than the GCA of 68. The way the make it sound this "GCA" was permanent...

Sly

That was the crime bill
Top Top