Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2004 10:35:14 AM EDT
I have put 3 AR's together from kits and 1 FAL but have no knowledge of AK builds and I want one now.
Are ther detailed plans on this site?
What is the best place to buy the kits and receivers?
I would be grateful for advise.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It all boils down to either a screw or a rivet build question as far as the difficulty on the build.  Or more like how much it would cost to put one together.  Right now I'm making jigs for bending receiver flats which would be the way to go if you're doing a few rifles or just want to say you made the receiver yourself.

Once you have all of the parts then it's down to riveting or using screws.  If you end up riveting you'll need to press out the barrel, get either Plinker's rivet jig or modify some bolt cutters to do the trunion rivets, definately need a 12 ton shop press, Max's trigger guard rivet jig plus you'll need a heat source to harden the receiver holes and ejector if you bend your own flats.  Don't forget the fun part of drilling or grinding out the old rivets.

If you do a screw build you can possibly get by without taking the barrel out, but you'll still want to check the headspace.  Short machine screw drill bits and possibly a center punch to get the rivets drilled out.  The better the material of the drill bits you use the better they will cut through the rivets.  I haven't seen anybody say you would need anything special as far as the material for the tap so high speed steel should work for those.  Make sure to get bottoming taps for doing the front trunion holes.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you build one from a flat the rails have to be welded in place.

It's a whole different ballgame than putting together an AR15.  I had made a lower for using 9MM Sten mags from a 0% lower and it almost seemed like less work.  Especially since there are so many tools needed to put together an AK to make it look close to a factory build.  Once you have all of the tools then you can build one whenever you find a deal on parts kits.  That's probably the best part about having the tools laying around.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Stickerman, are you and your jigs listed on footpounds.com? That place is a directory of 80% jig and receiver suppliers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen that site before.  Now I have more stuff to get done, LOL.

I am still working on my website ak-builder.  In the next week or so I'll be ready to go all out on advertising and manufacturing, but for the moment I'm trying to stay a little less busy.  Moving into a new (used) house is quite a chore when you accumulate so much stuff over the years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like I will have to put my AK plans on hold now thanks to Hurricain Jeanne.
I need to rebuild half my house now and all of my Garage/workshop....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My method of choice is to grind off the rivet heads
slide new rec.  with rivet holes into position and tig weld
rivet body to rec. , you can build up weld to look like rivet  hippie.gif
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top