Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/26/2007 5:44:34 AM EDT
after the prpoper headspacing I need to re drill the barrel pin hole and find a new pin.

Where can I find a bigger pin and what should it me made from?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What size did you drill the new hole?I can turn a pin ..Pat
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy an inexpensive drill bit and cut the threaded portion off with a cut off wheel. Bevel the ends a little on a disc snader of bench grinder.

Press in and done.

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buy an inexpensive drill bit and cut the threaded portion off with a cut off wheel. Bevel the ends a little on a disc snader of bench grinder.

Press in and done.
efxguy

Know a guy that's done this with good results, can't think of the word but he also said he put some dents (for lack of a better word) in it to make sure it was a little bigger for a nice tight fit.

Browell sells a reamer and pin for this job but can't remember the parts.

I would also check with 32ndsigbn sense he will make you one, and also trust him enough that he would make sure the steel was hardened enough.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Using a like sized drill bit for a barrel pin may sound like a easy fix for a oversize pin. But you need an  interference fit so a 100% bearing between pin and trunnion and barrel is accomplished . Just upsetting the pin to get a tight feeling fit will soon loosen up and the barrel will move  changing the headspace. What size drill was used?..Pat
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you can use a letter "I" bit. You can stake it in on the ends, though the best way would be to drill with one size and press in a slightly larger drill bit. Or you could not drill completely through, leaving the last bit of the hole undersize so you would get a very tight fit on the last mm of the press in.

There is a whole lot of bearing surface on the barrel in the pin hole, 7mm is about a 1/4". I would think that you would need a much smaller pin than the hole in order to be able to change the headspace by shooting it...

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Using a like sized drill bit for a barrel pin may sound like a easy fix for a oversize pin. But you need an  interference fit so a 100% bearing between pin and trunnion and barrel is accomplished . Just upsetting the pin to get a tight feeling fit will soon loosen up and the barrel will move  changing the headspace. What size drill was used?..Pat

What if you hit it with a tiny tack weld on either side?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top