Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 4:44:34 AM EST
after the prpoper headspacing I need to re drill the barrel pin hole and find a new pin.

Where can I find a bigger pin and what should it me made from?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:54:53 AM EST
What size did you drill the new hole?I can turn a pin ..Pat
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:06:37 PM EST
Buy an inexpensive drill bit and cut the threaded portion off with a cut off wheel. Bevel the ends a little on a disc snader of bench grinder.

Press in and done.

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:31:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 4:42:59 PM EST by Tommy2399]

Originally Posted By efxguy:
Buy an inexpensive drill bit and cut the threaded portion off with a cut off wheel. Bevel the ends a little on a disc snader of bench grinder.

Press in and done.
efxguy

Know a guy that's done this with good results, can't think of the word but he also said he put some dents (for lack of a better word) in it to make sure it was a little bigger for a nice tight fit.

Browell sells a reamer and pin for this job but can't remember the parts.

I would also check with 32ndsigbn sense he will make you one, and also trust him enough that he would make sure the steel was hardened enough.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:51:00 PM EST
Using a like sized drill bit for a barrel pin may sound like a easy fix for a oversize pin. But you need an interference fit so a 100% bearing between pin and trunnion and barrel is accomplished . Just upsetting the pin to get a tight feeling fit will soon loosen up and the barrel will move changing the headspace. What size drill was used?..Pat
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:24:55 AM EST
I think you can use a letter "I" bit. You can stake it in on the ends, though the best way would be to drill with one size and press in a slightly larger drill bit. Or you could not drill completely through, leaving the last bit of the hole undersize so you would get a very tight fit on the last mm of the press in.

There is a whole lot of bearing surface on the barrel in the pin hole, 7mm is about a 1/4". I would think that you would need a much smaller pin than the hole in order to be able to change the headspace by shooting it...

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:51:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By 32ndsigbn:
Using a like sized drill bit for a barrel pin may sound like a easy fix for a oversize pin. But you need an interference fit so a 100% bearing between pin and trunnion and barrel is accomplished . Just upsetting the pin to get a tight feeling fit will soon loosen up and the barrel will move changing the headspace. What size drill was used?..Pat

What if you hit it with a tiny tack weld on either side?
Top Top