Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2011 2:39:04 PM EDT
Hello all, I'm posting this here because it's specific to Chinese.  I'm looking to refinish my pre ban 56s furniture to an original look.  I remember reading somewhere here, but damned if I can find it, about Bullseye  Amber Shellac.  They said it was available at Home Depot, but I can't confirm that.

Has anyone used shellac with success?  I haven't worked with it since 1976.
Is there a better way to get the original color and look?

Any suggestions?  I've done many gun stocks, but this one looks to be a challenge.   Thanx.............
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Bullseye Amber Shellac, which I get at Home Depot.  Sand down the wood with fine
steel wool, clean it with a lint free rag, then one layer of shellac, sand, clean, repeat until you get the look you want.

If you were a member you could use the ARCHIVE function, you'd find threads dedicated to this very question.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used that same shellac from home depot as well with excellent results.
watch this youtube video for a step by step use directions.Several coats to get a darker finish ,less to go more for a blonde finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbPGsSTkpo
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I refinished this Nagant using Bullseye Amber shellac. If I were to do it over again I'd use my own shellac mix (simply for color reasons). But if this color is what you're after it's a great product.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
ETA: NM

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
refinished mine using redwood stain & tung oil

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/13/79/91/92/dsc02418.jpg
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Used it to refinish an MAK90 and was so close I checked to see if it was made in China, it is made in the USA. Don't spill your drinks on it, alcohol soluble.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's Bullseye amber shellac from home depot.

I have done both sks and ak pieces in this, and it is an absolute dead on match for the Chinese "orange" stock finish. The only thing that you will need to watch is your coats. You can vary your shade from blondish amber to dark orange by using multiple coats. I use 3 on average. .
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Bulls Eye amber shellac from Home Depot.  Used the method WayneG described.  This is what my Bulgarian looks like after six coats.  I was going for a darker finish than what you probably want.

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top