Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:16:38 PM EDT
I have decided to enter the eeeevil black world of eeevil AK ownership [male choir humming atonally]. I'm an experienced gun owner, but haven't been attracted to the AK line because of my virulent anticommunist views - but I've gotten over that.

I think I'm getting an AK-74-style rifle (.223 Soviet/5.45 x 39) 'cause I like the trajectory of the round, and 'cause they're supposed to be more accurate, esp. at distance, than the 7.62 x 39. I'd like an ACE stock folder, too, and wouldn't turn my head at a Galil fore-end, for the completely eeevil look.

Of the stuff that's out there, where can I buy a half decent gun for $500 new? I notice Atlantic Firearms has some good deals... Is there anything you WOULDN'T touch? I have heard the even the lowly Romanian guns (I am unsure if they are "manufacturing," if that's what you could call their drunken attempts at making "crood veapons," a 5.45 x 39 version of their WASRs), function properly and will make BOOMBOOM without drama.

Where do I go, how much should I spend, and is there any path you guys have taken that you wouldn't go down again?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
5.45mm is more accurate than 7.62x39mm. The recoil of 5.45mm is like nonexistant.
5.45mm magazines are cheap and reliable whether if they're East German Bakelite
or Bulgarian Polymer.

Here's a chart showing the difference in trajectories between the main
3 calibers www.ada.ru/Guns/ballistic/545x39/compare.htm

Here's a 3 page thread about 5.45mm: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=74747
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
5.45mm is more accurate than 7.62x39mm. The recoil of 5.45mm is like nonexistant.
5.45mm magazines are cheap and reliable whether if they're East German Bakelite
or Bulgarian Polymer.

Here's a chart showing the difference in trajectories between the main
3 calibers www.ada.ru/Guns/ballistic/545x39/compare.htm

Here's a 3 page thread about 5.45mm: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=74747

Thanks. Very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is there anything you WOULDN'T touch? I have heard the even the lowly Romanian guns (I am unsure if they are "manufacturing," if that's what you could call their drunken attempts at making "crood veapons," a 5.45 x 39 version of their WASRs), function properly and will make BOOMBOOM without drama.

Where do I go, how much should I spend, and is there any path you guys have taken that you wouldn't go down again?

what I wouldn't  do is try to make it into something it's not, like something of AR/galil bubba gun........putting a aftermarket folder on it, or a galil handguard on it, all you will be doing, IMO is making a bubba gun. why folks just don't apprectiate the simplicity of the rifle is beyond me, a nice military stock set, either plastic or wood on it is all you need, either as a fixed stock or a  underfolder. instead of trying to make it look like something you took some spare parts lying around and slapped it on.

for under 500 bucks the atlantic ones are a deal, those are RAPID FIRE guns, and the quality on them is great........there is nothing wrong with the WASRs, those I consider would be your budget, no frills AK......but I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, I would check them out for canted sights, gas blocks. most folks that buy those WASRs, usually put in a bit more money to upgrade the stock set, or put a better finish on them  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh man, not you too?!?

I have also fallen into the abyss, though this one doesn't seem as cost intensive as the BRD is. A good 5.45mm will cost you a little more than $500 though. There are quite a few 7.62mm AK47's for your budget.  For $79.00 more you can get this gun:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=199

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
A Word Of Warning! AKs are addictive,not many People can stop at one.

Welcome To The Dark Side!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
oooooohhhhhh.....drool.....I SO need some of those bakelite 7.62 mags.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I found a cheap one!!!

www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=FICEWASR2

*edit for hotlink*

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Johno,

That pellet gun with the folder is the coolest one in the pic!!!

Ive got one of them sitting in back at the shop,   Might make a krink out of it!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Barnual 5.45 is better than Wolf 5.45mm. Wolf is fine just that Barnual is more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Johno,

Ive got one of them sitting in back at the shop,   Might make a krink out of it!!

KyARGuy

I bought this one for my Son last year,I figured he could shoot it when he turns six,until I shot it!He'll have to wait a little longer.I'm working on a Chinese side folding AK,just like it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Johno,

KyARGuy

I bought this one for my Son last year,I figured he could shoot it when he turns six,until I shot it!He'll have to wait a little longer.I'm working on a Chinese side folding AK,just like it.

It would look much cooler with a mag attached to it, just for looks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
what I wouldn't  do is try to make it into something it's not, like something of AR/galil bubba gun........putting a aftermarket folder on it, or a galil handguard on it, all you will be doing, IMO is making a bubba gun. why folks just don't apprectiate the simplicity of the rifle is beyond me, a nice military stock set, either plastic or wood on it is all you need, either as a fixed stock or a  underfolder. instead of trying to make it look like something you took some spare parts lying around and slapped it on.

for under 500 bucks the atlantic ones are a deal, those are RAPID FIRE guns, and the quality on them is great........there is nothing wrong with the WASRs, those I consider would be your budget, no frills AK......but I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, I would check them out for canted sights, gas blocks. most folks that buy those WASRs, usually put in a bit more money to upgrade the stock set, or put a better finish on them  

I can appreciate your sentiments, but when you buy a new gun - one that hasn't been used in conflict, and thus doesn't hold or represent any historical value or import, then I find it hard to call that "Bubbaing." A Bubba Gun is when you take a perfectly nice WWI-era 1903 with clean wood and a nice barrel and turn it into "Grampa's Shootin' Ahrn," by hacking off the fore-end, sanding down all those funny and annoying stampings in the wood, and plastering on one of those ridiculous recoil pads on the butt.

You wouldn't call building an AR to your own desires a "Bubbaed" a gun, would you?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top