Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 6:18:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2003 6:22:37 PM EST by CWO]
Having read A LOT of posts for months I confess that you guys have successfully converted me to "the dark side". I want to get two AKs. The first one I'm willing to spend about $700 or so. I'm looking to experienced board members to recommend a really nice AK in that range. Good workmanship and finish are fairly important to me.

What would YOU get if you had $700 (+ or -) to burn for a first AK?

Thanks!
CWO
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:21:31 PM EST
If I was going to spend $700, I'd probably go to $800 and shop for a pre-ban.

Otherwise for $525 from FAC you can get a SA-7M

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:02:38 PM EST
check out global trades/arsnenal usa. they make some good stuff!!!!

www.globaltrades.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:16:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2003 9:08:11 PM EST by Templar]
Arsenal Inc. in Las Vegas. Finest production AK's I've dealt with. www.arsenalinc.com

This is one of their limited edition SA-M7 Classics. Only 250 of these were to be made.

Or, as previously suggested, save some more money and get a good Chinese pre-ban for around $750-$850.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:46:41 AM EST
Its hard to beat the Classic that Templar mentioned.Arsenal takes Great Pride in the manufacture of their AKs.Check out your local gun shows and try to locate a pre ban Poly Tech Legend,it'll probably run in the 900.00 range but in my opinion its one step above the Classic.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:17:37 AM EST
Another vote for the Arsenal SAM-7.

I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:00:20 AM EST
The SA M-7S from Arsenal Inc
AK-103 from AK-USA
Preban Chinese
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:25:39 PM EST
Well how about an AK74 clone built on a Bulgie kit by Inrange?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:23:55 PM EST
I appreciate the recommendations - thanks guys. It appears that the SA M-7 Classic is no longer available (per Arsenal). It looks like I'm going to have to explore some of the other good ideas.

Thanks!

CWO
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:53:10 PM EST
Yep, the Classics are pretty much gone, but if you're looking for a serious shooter, the standard model SA-M7S is really the way to go, with a longer length of pull that appeals to many who are used to American rifles. It's a clone of the current productions Bulgarian AK-47M1.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:24:25 AM EST
Templar; is the muzzle brake on the SA-M7S authentic or something the manufacture came up with? The pic on thier website shows the 74 type brake as an option.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:52:36 PM EST
yeah I checked out one of those Sam-7 classics at a gun store last weekend and it had an excellent finish and workmanship. I was quite impressed. they were asking $750
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:44:02 PM EST
I've heard nothing but good about the Krebs custom AK's and they weigh about a ton less than the milled receiver AK's put out by Arsenal such as the SA-M7. Check them out.
www.krebscustom.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:55:19 PM EST
I've been eyeing the Krebs selection as candidates for my second Ak. I understand the wait for a Krebs gun is about 3 months or so - which is okay for #2.

I'll probably also go for a third before too long, but I have a lot more reading to do on kit build-ups etc.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:59:29 PM EST
Dredd, the muzzle brake on the SA-M7&M7S is the same one that Arsenal Bulgaria put on the SLR-95. It isn't pretty, but it really does work.

Arsenal Inc. should be making a SA-M7 this year without the brake.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:04:26 PM EST
I have some suggestions for you-I have a SA-M7,a pre-ban Hungarian, a KREBS AK-103 and a few VEPR-K's-if you are going to get a KREBS-you will have to wait a very long time indeed-I waited 15 weeks-but compared to a VEPR-which you may also wait a long time for, there is no comparison. The cheap-ass, paper-thin looking SAIGA receiver on the KREBS AK-103 just pales in comparison to the VEPR-it is built like a Tank!!! But there is just no denying the Muzzle Brake on the KREBS-it is awesome-you can also have KREBS install that brake on your VEPR-but once again, it will be a very long wait. But there is nothing like that brake when firing at night-good god!!! I had an order in for 2 AK-103's with AK-USA, but it just took too damn long, and I am tired of these long-ass waits-it wouldn't have been so bad, but the dude at AK-USA wanted his $$$$ up front-KREBS did not, and either did Robinson Armament-so I didn't mind the wait. But the most beautiful of all the stamped-receiver AK's is easily the Hungarian line from Global Trades-they are just beautiful. But the SA-M7 is truly one beautiful gun!!! There is really nothing to compare it to!!! The good thing is that these guns are infinitely more reliable than any of the AR's. I also have a Romanian beater truck SAR-1-reliable and ugly as hell!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:27:46 AM EST
Yet another vote for Global Trades. I have a SSR85B and just love it !! It's by far one of the best made, best looking, best shooting AK's I have ever seen.
Top Top