Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:10:09 AM EDT
Can somebody point me in the direction of some good basic information regarding civilian AKs?  I'm specifically interested in what are the better guns for the money.  What I'm looking for is the same kind of information that an AR buyer would want to know about Bushmaster vs. DPMS vs. Colt.  I'm not interested in building my own, although I'll probably do some customization, in particular sights and trigger.

I'm knowledgeable about full auto AK type firearms, but haven't looked at civilian guns since there were lots of Norincos coming in.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We provide custom typing while you wait h
Blaster, plinker, paper puncher, close up, long range................

Thanks for your response.

I'm mostly interested in informal target shooting at 200-300 yards and a backup defense gun to my AR carbine.

I'm interested in 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm.  5.56mm would simplify my ammo situation, but I'm open to 7.62x39mm.  I used to own an SKS, and like the 7.62.  5.45x39mm is pretty much out because of the [to my knowledge] scarcity of cheap ammunition or reloading components.

Since I won't be buying anything until after the AWB sunsets, I'm open to folding stocks and drum magazines.  A scope rail of some sort for an Ultradot would be a plus.

As for model, I'm open to suggestions.   I'm only really familiar with the Chinese guns which are no longer imported.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OH puts you near ammunitionstore.com, aimsurplus.com, and dansammo.com, all with 10 cent 5.45x39 ammo. If you are near New Philly, meet some of us at Tusco for a test drive.

Getting better than 3moa in 7.62x39 is Rare, but 2moa is very reasonable in 5.45 and 5.56. The quality of 10 cent milsurp 7.62x54r is impressive, but it needs the corrosive cleanup game and guns are 10rnd mag models. And 7.62x39 drops about as much from 150-200 as it does from 0-150, so 200-300 goals rule it out despite the 7cent ammo budget.

Thanks for the useful information.

I've shot SKSs out to about 200 yards and pretty much know what to expect, so 7.62x39mm isn't a deal breaker.  As I said, it's just informal.  I don't expect it to shoot like my AR, much less my Savage 10FP.

5.45x39mm is certainly interesting, but I have real concerns about something that's genuinely difficult to reload for if imports should dry up for whatever reason.  5.56mm sounds a lot safer, especially since I have dies and a ton of once fired brass.

I think we're down to 7.62x39mm or 5.56mm.  Any specific gun recommendations?  I like the looks of the black finish Russian guns, but quality ratings of currently available Kalashnikov semi-autos are a total mystery to me.  I don't know what's great and what's junk.  I recently saw some bad things about Romanian guns, but all of the full-auto Romanians I had in Korea were reliable.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Visit the Russian forum for how-to on Saiga conversion, and cdnninvestments.com download catalog (not on web) for 5.56 Saiga prices. Working on one this month...gun in hand $260, butt, pistol grip, fcg, few minor items (KVAR sourced), can be very affordable ($400ish) if you do not insist on the full milspec handguards (dremel vents/foil insulation to Saiga). Weiger mags 4/$60 at Interordnance.com

Leaves room for a scope from Tantal or Yuri.

I'm familiar with CDNN, as they have an impressive selection of Browning handguns currently.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Visit the Russian forum for how-to on Saiga conversion, and cdnninvestments.com download catalog (not on web) for 5.56 Saiga prices. Working on one this month...gun in hand $260, butt, pistol grip, fcg, few minor items (KVAR sourced), can be very affordable ($400ish) if you do not insist on the full milspec handguards (dremel vents/foil insulation to Saiga). Weiger mags 4/$60 at Interordnance.com

Leaves room for a scope from Tantal or Yuri.

The conversion information is very interesting, but way more work than I want to get into.  I'm looking for something that I can shoot when I buy it.  I'm not really set up to do that kind of work with the level of quality I think it demands.

I still want to get some kind of Kalashnikov though, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Romanian guns are just fine.  My sar1 is a wonderful shooter, and with the Kobra sight I hit clays at 100yds all day long.  

If you want a 5.56, get a Arsenal sam5.  Bulgarian, milled receiver.  The "Armalite" or "Bushmaster" of AKs.  

Tons more I could type, but I will leave it to the rest of the Dark Side...

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Romanian guns are just fine.  My sar1 is a wonderful shooter, and with the Kobra sight I hit clays at 100yds all day long.  

If you want a 5.56, get a Arsenal sam5.  Bulgarian, milled receiver.  The "Armalite" or "Bushmaster" of AKs.  

Tons more I could type, but I will leave it to the rest of the Dark Side...href=www.hunt101.com/img/080482.JPG

A good looking piece of iron, although I think I'll stick with the regular pistol grip.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top