User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/24/2010 11:06:24 AM EDT
What your thoughts on this Millet?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=186660
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck finding an acceptable and usable mounting solution.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm working on one. . .
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Numerous threads with a lot of good info on 1-4 variables in the optics forum over on the AR-15 side of the board.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Without checking the link, I'm assuming its a DMS1.  They are heavy.  Mounting solutions for AK's are limited currently to the TWS rail or DPH rail.  Using a side rail scope mount, you are going to have chin weld.

I'd like to have a good way to mount a 30mm 1-4x.  Looking forward to see Mosin's mount when its ready.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the MOLOT side mount worked pretty well positionally. Not sure if Mosin's mount will make a big difference in weight, the MOLOT website lists this as 0.7lbs. Most the weight is in the scope.

Eye relief is probably different between the TR-24G and the DMS-1, I don't know.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought the MOLOT side mount worked pretty well positionally. Not sure if Mosin's mount will make a big difference in weight, the MOLOT website lists this as 0.7lbs. Most the weight is in the scope.

Eye relief is probably different between the TR-24G and the DMS-1, I don't know.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/vandalpix/ak/IMG_4352.jpg

That looks very nice!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a DMS to put on my AK just last week.  Here's what I tried that didn't work.

I bought the DMS, a pair of Millett low-profile rings, and a KV-04 mount from Midway.

The scope was too far back to have sufficient eye relief with this mount and rings.  

My next idea is to try a single 30mm mount placed forward on the rail.  The rear of the scope needs to be at least even with the back of the receiver, or slightly in front of it with the DMS scope.

But, a low profile ring won't raise the scope up enough to be placed forward on the rail.  

I'm going to order a high ring and see if it is sturdy enough to handle the scope by itself.  But I've never tried to mount a scope before with a single ring and don't know if it will work.

If anyone can recommend a ring that may work well by itself, it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe an Aimpoint 30mm ring? They'll be about as wide as you can get (most support).

Quoted:
I bought a DMS to put on my AK just last week.  Here's what I tried that didn't work.

I bought the DMS, a pair of Millett low-profile rings, and a KV-04 mount from Midway.

The scope was too far back to have sufficient eye relief with this mount and rings.  

My next idea is to try a single 30mm mount placed forward on the rail.  The rear of the scope needs to be at least even with the back of the receiver, or slightly in front of it with the DMS scope.

But, a low profile ring won't raise the scope up enough to be placed forward on the rail.  

I'm going to order a high ring and see if it is sturdy enough to handle the scope by itself.  But I've never tried to mount a scope before with a single ring and don't know if it will work.

If anyone can recommend a ring that may work well by itself, it would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Toyotaman I plan on using  Burris rings, if Two will fit then fine, if not I will try One. I already have the Burris rings in low, medium and high.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
The longest ring I have found was the one for the Zoom Dot.  Try one of those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not sure about the Millet, I've heard mixed reviews on them.  

I've got a 1-3X Weaver on mine and I love it, good cheek weld.  I think any of the cheaper 1-4X Nikons, Leupolds,etc. would work good as well.

Heres my combo (No pics, just description and links).

Scope mount:  THe rear of the rail was too far back, and prevented me from putting the scope far enough ahead.  My solution was to cut the rail off, flush with the rear of the mount.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=115364
Rings were Burris Z-ring Medium height. (Or low? I can't remember now).
And a 1-3X Weaver scope.  The scope is maxed out, rings farthest forward slot and scope turret as far ahead as it will go.  But it works for me.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top