Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2009 4:18:52 PM EDT
Hey everybody, I've always wanted to custom-build an AK-47 (7.62x39) Krinkov but don't have the equipment to do so. I notice there are some companies like Overland Industries that will do it for you, they however need a de-milled parts kit and receiver to do it.

I have a few questions first though. What are the procedures for buying the parts and SBR registration? As far as I know you can buy the parts kits w/o registration, but I am aware that buying a receiver requires a filled-out 4473. Now, if I want to register it as an SBR, do I have to do that when I get the receiver, or do I have to have the entire gun built before registration? Also, are there different procedures if the gun is being built, as opposed to just buying one? Also, what about serial numbers? Will a serial number be engraved into the receiver to match the parts, or vice versa? Also, do SBR's need to be 922r compliant?

Finally, does anyone make 1.5mm receivers for Krinkovs? (Or is it just a standard receiver)?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but I'm completely new to NFA items.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 4:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2009 4:53:54 PM EDT by TX-Zen]
You can buy the parts kit without registration but it's not wise to have a receiver in your posession at the same time.

If you buy an already SBR'd rifle you submit a form 4 for a transfer

If you build one from a kit, or have the barrel cut down to an SBR, you submit a form 1 because you are considered the original manufacturer of a new NFA rifle.
This is what I did for my SLR107UR which came from the factory with a 16" barrel.

You will want to know the serial number of the exact receiver you will be using and use that on your form 1 or form 4. The gun doesn't have to be built before you submit the paperwork but you should definately not have posession of the receiver and the parts kit or it could be construed as intent to build. Keep the parts kit and leave the receiver with a company like Overland, or vice versa, or send them everything and have them hold onto it. (That's what I did, Elk River had my kit and the receiver I bought from them during the 5 month wait time).

The serial number doesn't have to match the parts, the only thing the ATF cares about is the serial number of the receiver, so be sure to get it before you fill out your paperwork. The rest of the parts kit can be numbered whatever way it is.

NFA rifles should be exempt from 922r because they are regulated by NFA laws but I have heard a few people say 922r still applies. I don't know the answer for sure.

You will also need to fill out a form 5320.
The SBR will need to be registered to either you (with sign off by local LEO saying you're good to go), a trust (of which you are the executor, basically giving you the right to control the property of the trust which is the SBR. No LEO sign off needed) or a corporation which owns the SBR...similar to a trust.

http://titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html is a great site that has all the forms you need.

eta: check with FlaDevmeister. He's in FL and just went through this to get his Krink (pics in THIS thread)

Z
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 8:34:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TX-Zen:

You can buy the parts kit without registration but it's not wise to have a receiver in your posession at the same time.

If you buy an already SBR'd rifle you submit a form 4 for a transfer

If you build one from a kit, or have the barrel cut down to an SBR, you submit a form 1 because you are considered the original manufacturer of a new NFA rifle.

This is what I did for my SLR107UR which came from the factory with a 16" barrel.

You will want to know the serial number of the exact receiver you will be using and use that on your form 1 or form 4. The gun doesn't have to be built before you submit the paperwork but you should definately not have posession of the receiver and the parts kit or it could be construed as intent to build. Keep the parts kit and leave the receiver with a company like Overland, or vice versa, or send them everything and have them hold onto it. (That's what I did, Elk River had my kit and the receiver I bought from them during the 5 month wait time).

The serial number doesn't have to match the parts, the only thing the ATF cares about is the serial number of the receiver, so be sure to get it before you fill out your paperwork. The rest of the parts kit can be numbered whatever way it is.

NFA rifles should be exempt from 922r because they are regulated by NFA laws but I have heard a few people say 922r still applies. I don't know the answer for sure.
You will also need to fill out a form 5320.

The SBR will need to be registered to either you (with sign off by local LEO saying you're good to go), a trust (of which you are the executor, basically giving you the right to control the property of the trust which is the SBR. No LEO sign off needed) or a corporation which owns the SBR...similar to a trust.

http://titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html is a great site that has all the forms you need.

eta: check with FlaDevmeister. He's in FL and just went through this to get his Krink (pics in THIS thread)
Z

I think TX covered most of it right there. The only thing I will say is that I personally don't think it's a huge deal to have the parts and receiver together, especially if you don't have any tools. I think if the ATF is kicking in your door and busting you for attempt to assemble, you have bigger issues. Plus with no tools....AK's are not a slap together gun, it takes presses and some pretty specific tools to build one. However, I do believe that what he says is the right thing to do. So yea, I'm a double standard

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:28:12 PM EDT
Thanks for the info dudes! I will look into it a bit more. Got plenty of time while trying to save up the money, lol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:02:59 PM EDT
you're fine with the kit and receiver.  this isn't an AR, and like he said, even then, if the ATF visits you, you have already F'd up in some other very serious way
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
Top Top