Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/7/2005 5:11:39 PM EDT
Are the NHM -90 gas piston attachment holes in the carrier located the same as all AKs. I don't see them on mine. They must be welded??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:07:27 PM EDT
There is one retaining pin like all other AK rifles holding the gas piston in the bolt carrier. The retaining pin is not welded. The bolt carrier has a hole drilled in it during mfg. and each end of the hole is flared out. The gas piston is screwed in and then a hole is drilled in the gas piston. A retaining pin which is longer than hole is deep is inserted. Both ends of the pin are peened= hit with a hammer so they spread out to fill in the flared part of the hole in the bolt carrier. Other countries hit the pins a couple licks with a grinder but the Chinese did a really good job of grinding the gas piston retaining pins after they peened the ends of them. They really blended them in as I have seen alot of Chinese rifles that you can't see where the pin is like your rifle. The pin is in the same place on all AK rifles on the side about 1/4" back from the joint of the gas piston and carrier.
Here is a sketch I made it is not to scale as the hole and ends of the peened pin aren't flared that much but you get the idea.

Top Top