Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:17:24 AM EDT
After buying the NHM91, I decided that I really didn't like the original wood (U.S.A. Bishop Stock/Handguards), so I decided to replace them with the K-VAR Russian Plum RPK stock set. Make no mistake, anyone thinking that the K-VAR RPK stock set is just another quick fit item has some thinking to do. It took a lot of work to install the K-VAR stock/handguards.

The stock set is "new", so for the buttstock it took a lot (and I mean a lot) of trimming. As for the handguards, well, thats another story. It seems that the "real" RPK has a much larger lower handguard retainer so when trying to install the lower handguard the front opening dwarfed the retainer. So what to do? I did think about using a "plum" AKM handguard but that just woudn't look as good, so I got out the ol' Brownell's Acra Glas Gel and basiclly made the front inside of the lower handguard smaller. If anyone attempts this be sure to use the mold release as the Acra Glas once hardens will be impossible to remove the parts.

The finished look is more to my liking and of course is another one-off type rifle. The compliance parts are: TAPCO G2 FCG, K-VAR U.S. Pistol Grip, TAPCO Gas Piston and DPH Arms AK-74 Muzzle Brake.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great. I just gone done fitting a bulgarian stock set to a NHM-90 and you are correct that it takes a ton of trimming. Much more than I had expected. Yours turned out great.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks great. I just gone done fitting a bulgarian stock set to a NHM-90 and you are correct that it takes a ton of trimming. Much more than I had expected. Yours turned out great.

Thanks for the kind comments.  I'm amazed at how many buy a new stock and just hammer/push it in and don't take the time to fit it correctly (so the stock sits flush with the receiver).  As you know it does take more time to do but the results look so much better.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Duplicate post...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:

Quoted:

Thanks for the kind comments.  I'm amazed at how many buy a new stock and just hammer/push it in and don't take the time to fit it correctly (so the stock sits flush with the receiver).  As you know it does take more time to do but the results look so much better.

That would be me.  I sanded the K-Var stock insert part down enough to retain a really snug fit, but, I had forgotten that in addition to the MAK-90 receiver being thicker, the MAK-90 Tang was about 1/8" longer than other AK tangs.  

I can't decide if I am giong to whip out a dremel to open up the tang area on the stock, use Brownell's Acra Glas Gell to fill in the gap, or live with the gap.  Regardless, I still have yet to screw the stock down until I make a final decision.  Maybe I will get lucky and shooting it without the stock screws will "loosen" it up, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen because that stock is IN THERE.

I was told that wood stocks ARE supposed to have a gap to keep the receiver from splitting the stock, but, I don't think the same is required for polymer stocks.

EDIT:  After using a heat gun to heat the receiver and back the stock out, I have since eliminated that ugly gap.  My only surprise was that I had to heat the receiver up A LOT in order to warm the plastic stock up enough to work it out of there.  Afterwards, sandpaper and a dremel became my  friends!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the Dremel  to open up (lengthen) the tang area as mine bottomed out also.  As far as the gap for the stock to prevent cracking, all mine are butted up against the receiver and I haven't had any cracking, but then I only shoot semi-auto so I don't know if this was intended for full auto use.

As I don't like the gap, I will continue to ensure that the stock meets flush with the receiver until a time when I notice something going wrong.  Just the way I decided to do things.

It's good that you haven't drilled the stock for the screws, as it's hard to closed up the holes (I have used ACRA Glas Gel but had to ensure there was gel inside the stock) once drilled.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I still have a 1/32th to 1/16th gap on my NHM I got tired of screwing with it and will fix it down the road. Its been a week and I haven't made time yet. I think the upper handguard was worse than the buttstock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/hank_612/IMG_0179.jpg
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy I bought my stock from said to leave a 1/32 inch gap to prevent cracking, mine is probably closer to 1/16, but a little black and it looks great, I mean, what the heck, it's an AK isn't it!

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I too, despised the thumbhole stock that came with my NHM-91.  I just replaced it with a set of U.S. made walnut stocks and added the Tapco double-hook parts set to make it all legal. I also added an RPK rear sight.
I like the way she looks now...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I too, despised the thumbhole stock that came with my NHM-91.  I just replaced it with a set of U.S. made walnut stocks and added the Tapco double-hook parts set to make it all legal. I also added an RPK rear sight.
i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/NHM9140.jpg

Looks great, Manx, love your 20" AR too!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/NHM9140.jpg

Where did you get the Stock Set ???

Looks great .
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
That walnut looks great!  When I did my milled version Ironwood was out of walnut so I wen with the laminate.  Stained red mahogany, tung oil finish.  Got a flash hider on order.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Manx, that is the best looking NHM I've seen!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi All,
Man, those all look nice!
I want to know(see) exactly what a ChiCom RPK stock set looks like. Anyone know where to get a pic of one, or buy them. I bought a new Russian one, but have not put it on yet, man is it short. I still need to get a US FCG and the correct muzzle brake. I got mine (NHM91) for 4450 with about $300 worth of mags.
Yours,
Terry
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top