Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:22:05 PM EST
I shot my house once
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:18:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I shot my house once

Me too!I hit the house and the car.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:42:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:19:04 PM EST
Glad to see you killed a NON-VENEMOUS snake. Hope you like your house infested with rats and mice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:24:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:39:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By mattld:
Glad to see you killed a NON-VENEMOUS snake. Hope you like your house infested with rats and mice.

Snakes are still snakes and that one ended up like it should have: Dead
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:56:38 PM EST
Did you eat it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:39:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

Amazing how many people on this site turn liberal when confronted with a snake.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:13:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By scottryan:

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

Amazing how many people on this site turn liberal when confronted with a snake.

Wouldn't a liberal say to love it and leave it free?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:13:38 AM EST
I used to kill snakes but then I sorta got educated in the benefits of having them around I stopped.I'll still kill a Copperhead or a rattle snake but thats all.

Awhile back,there was a big black snake in the back yard next to where the kids play,this snake was close to 4 and a half feet long.I had watched Ol Steve grab-em by the tail and pick them up on tv and thought I'd give it a try,how hard could it be.My second mistake was a slight hesitation just as I grabbed the snake,that bastard was fast and all I could see was its wide open mouth going straight for my crotch.So I dropped the snake and crawfished out of the immediate area to rethink my strategy.I still needed to move the snake out of the area so I tried again with the help of a garden hoe,somehow we both survived the encounter and I learned not to go around grabbing snakes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:43:34 AM EST

Do you think it's non poisonus ? I was thinking it was a small Rattlesnake. Im educated on snakes, but hard to tell from the pic. The pattern looks like a canbrake. ... I don't kill the good snakes but give the one's in my yard that have nasty hollow fangs , a trip to visit ALLAH. WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:40:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:47:49 AM EST
We've got all kinds of snakes up here, but we get along with them...they do perform a valuable service. Mostly harmless black snakes...there are copperheads, but we just steer clear of those. I haven't actually seen one yet, but the wife has. Rattlers on the next mountain range over, but we haven't seen any at my place.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:52:29 AM EST
We get King snakes laying on the Roads in the early morning to get heat. I often stop and pick them up and carry them home and let loose in the yard. I have a BIG ole rat snake liveing under my house. Skins everywhere. I really like snakes.Just got to keep the piosonous ones away from my small children. WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:02:50 AM EST
Tan the hide and make a belt!

or

A hat ban.

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:41:16 AM EST
Former herpetologist here, one thing I love about AZ is the snakes!! Get out and play with them more than I do my AK's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:47:55 AM EST
Somebody from this board shot my house once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:56:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 9:01:22 AM EST by Taipan]
Why do you think my AKA is Taipan? I used to keep five of them when I lived in Houston.
Here's my Blacktail "Buttons" lol.

BTW, I believe the above dead snake is a Texas ratsnake, mean as piss but harmless. I had one eat my middle finger once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:38:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By JOHNO:

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I shot my house once

Me too!I hit the house and the car.

I gotta hear this story.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:41:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 9:42:06 AM EST by mattld]

Originally Posted By WarDawg:

Do you think it's non poisonus ? I was thinking it was a small Rattlesnake. Im educated on snakes, but hard to tell from the pic. The pattern looks like a canbrake. ... I don't kill the good snakes but give the one's in my yard that have nasty hollow fangs , a trip to visit ALLAH. WarDawg

Nope. No clear rattle on the tail for a snake that size. I am positive that that is a common Texas Ratsnake native to the southern states. Some people call them "Chicken snakes" due to their method of sneaking into henhouses to snack on eggs. They are completely non-venemous. But they do let out a rather disgusting musk smell when captured.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:49:04 AM EST

... all I could see was its wide open mouth going straight for my crotch.

Didn't Bill Clinton say the same thing?

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:53:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Taipan:
Why do you think my AKA is Taipan? I used to keep five of them when I lived in Houston.
Here's my Blacktail "Buttons" lol.
www.pix8.net/pro/pic/4845oID9r/98076.jpg

BTW, I believe the above dead snake is a Texas ratsnake, mean as piss but harmless. I had one eat my middle finger once.

A pet RATTLESNAKE?

Hmm....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:53:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:
It only took her 3 shots.........and she only hit the house once.

members.aol.com/sparsky/mbsk.jpg

Siaga 410?

Sweet gun in a fun cal/ga.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:00:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
A pet RATTLESNAKE?

Hmm....

Well.....I don't really pet it much. I guess if you can call aquarium fish pets then Buttons could be called a pet. Kept hot snakes ever since I was about 16. I consider myself living proof that snakes, even venomous snakes, are not anywhere near as dangerous to the general public as they think they are. Just like AK's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:45:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By RodeoFan:

... all I could see was its wide open mouth going straight for my crotch.

Didn't Bill Clinton say the same thing?

Yeah,he would've been alot better off to make a hasty retreat like I did!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:43:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:42:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 3:17:34 PM EST by Taipan]

Originally Posted By Mbsk01:
Well, I'm not a fan of killing snakes, but my wife is quite scared of them.

We didn't know (and still don't) what kind it is. Last night I saw a few pics, and it looked like either a Rat snake (as mentioned) or a Copperhead. Nevertheless, w/a pond not too far away, and known sightings of Cottonouths, we prefer to play things on the safe side.

Anyone notice that she just happened to be wearing the KICKASS AK-74 t-shirt, with the Russian writing on it?

Oh man, thats the T_shirt from England isn't it. I had really wanted one of those but my paypal account isn't complete and its such a pain to complete it.

Also wanted to mention that virtually (depending on where you live in Texas) 90-100% of all sightings of Cottonmouth/Water Mocassins in TX are actually sightings of Non Venomous various species of the nonvenomous Water Snake (Nerodia sp.), which pride themselves on looking as much like cottonmouths as possible. The disguise backfires when the encountered predator is a human. I meantion this specifically because my brother who has worked animal control and snake calls for years, as well as collecting on his own, has yet to EVER see a cottonmouth in the DFW area despte the fact that everyone swears they have see them. Houston and copperheads were a different story for me however, they're freak'n everywhere , thank God they about the least venomous snake in the world (Fatality rate of UNTREATED bites = 0.05%). The bite just hurts like a MOFO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:24:38 PM EST
Another good looking rattlesnake, haven't named her yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:32:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:49:46 PM EST
Yep you're in his area, he works snake calls in about a 150 mile radius around DFW. Never has seen a single cottonmouth in 8 years of actively looking for them, and I will say that we are pretty damned good at finding snakes. He also mentioned that like my experience in Houston, the DFW has a good number of copperheads.. The thing to remember about them is that they only reach a max of two feet and are quite distinct looking from other snakes in the area. I'd suggest picking up a Petersons Fieldguide. Who knows you might get to like em after you get to know them :)
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:58:35 PM EST
Taipan, ever been bit by a venomous snake? I always wondered what that was like, but.. Well you know, not enough to volunteer or nuthin
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:01:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
Taipan, ever been bit by a venomous snake? I always wondered what that was like, but.. Well you know, not enough to volunteer or nuthin

I have, twice when I was 16. Stupid mistakes, lucky were both dry bites. Both were from the same rattlesnake . I guess I was still fairly early in the learning curve. So I can't really say what an envenomation feels like.
A few years later I got tagged on the hand by a baby cobra when I was wasn't paying attention for a split second. Took me a couple minutes and a cigarette to decide that it had hit me with its mouth closed.
Had a couple others come within inches of my face, but I had kind of developed some really good reflexes.
Thats what I offer up to people who really think snakes are dangerous, is that over many years I worked with nearly all of the hot snakes out there and only had a few close calls. Therefore I can't see snakes as all that dangerous when I purposely put myself in close quarters thousands of time and have never been harmed. The potential is there don't get me wrong. If the taipans I had worked with ever tagged me I probably would have kissed my ass goodbye, but as "dangerous and aggressive" as they are I knew that they basically had a if you leave me alone I'll leave you alone mentality.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:40:59 AM EST
Taipan -- you ever play with any of those spitting snakes?

My theory is -- as long as its outside, and not threatening me, it can live.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:52:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
Taipan -- you ever play with any of those spitting snakes?

My theory is -- as long as its outside, and not threatening me, it can live.

Yep Sudan and Thai spitting cobras, male Thai cobra managed to spit in my mouth one day.... BLEH!! I sighed at exactly the wrong moment. It tasted nasty as hell. Other than the spitting they are fairly inoffensive snakes, much rather run than stand and fight.
Black and white Thai spitter:

Sorry Wolfgang, borrowing your photo.
Top Top