Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:04:48 AM EDT
Well i'm done with my little upgrades , I like it alot. I know some might not like the idea of a 74 break but I tried it out and it does work..  But I might go with the slant break and try that out as well.  

So here she is!  (sorry for the bad pics )

The red dot is alot more bright than shown here.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#1]
that looks useful without being "tapcoish".

what is that white plastic thing near the trigger?

was the stock easy to attach? did you have to replace trunions or such?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Any issues with the optic so high?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Tastefully done.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well not really for me , just had to get used to it.   I might try and buy a ACE Cheek rest and
try it with that.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All you do is once you cut the lower tang and the made it flush with the receiver , and cut the upper tang but leaving a little bit as to fit in the notch in the block. Slide the block in and put the allen head bolt through , and slide on the washers inside then put the nut on. Then get a wrench to hold the nut while you use an Allen wrench the tighten it. The washers inside is what holds it in place.

There is no wiggle to my stock. Thanks for the replys guys!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#6]
That is the 1st "tactical" AK that actually looks any good.  Great job.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice and practical.  Is the light attached to the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Very nice and practical.  Is the light attached to the barrel?

Yeah it is , it works well so far.  You can get a better look at one of the mounts here. Also got my pressure-switch tail cap from them as well , fits nice onto the Surefire.

www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.293

Thanks for the feed back guys!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That is the 1st "tactical" AK that actually looks any good.  Great job.  

+1.  Usually when I see "tactical AK" threads I brace myself for some Tapcoized freak show. Not this time; your AK looks really nice. Good work man!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I have same optic and like it.   If you think the optic is high, throw on a kevlar helmet and gas mask and shoot it, you'll see it is better that way.....

But that is also why I like the short AK stock vs. the US products that are longer, esp. when wearing vest

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
That has got to be one of the best looking "Tactical" AKs I've ever seen!  I'm still a bit of a purist but that looks great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
kept mine a little more basic, just added this tac light, don't think I need anything else.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have same optic and like it.   If you think the optic is high, throw on a kevlar helmet and gas mask and shoot it, you'll see it is better that way.....

But that is also why I like the short AK stock vs. the US products that are longer, esp. when wearing vest

What kind of red dot is that?  I don't recognize it...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The red dot is a PK-AS-V Red/Black Dot Sight (V-clamp Mount).

www.freedomoptics.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=154
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you answered what the white thing near the trigger is?

Thanks! a very good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you answered what the white thing near the trigger is?

It looks like the optics mount lever to me.  tightens/releases the mount from the siderail.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The white thing is the throw lever for the PK-AS mount.

BTW, that thing is bitchin'!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Another +1 there, you didn't fuck it up like your title suggested you did.

I actually kinda like it.

Good job
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another +1 there, you didn't fuck it up like your title suggested you did.

I actually kinda like it.

Good job

Lol  the title of my post was to get everyone thinking I did fuck it up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks like my setup. SLR-101 with a PK-AS.. I kept my setup a little simpler, mostly because I really don't want to go through the process of removing the front sight to add an AK-74 break.

Groups of my first trip to the range at 50 meters: (regular fire, wolf HP)

I didn't have enough ammo to take it upto 100 meters! Next time...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That looks like my setup. SLR-101 with a PK-AS.. I kept my setup a little simpler, mostly because I really don't want to go through the process of removing the front sight to add an AK-74 break.
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Robotizing/MVC-042F.jpg

Groups of my first trip to the range at 50 meters: (regular fire, wolf HP)
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Robotizing/MVC-044S.jpg

I didn't have enough ammo to take it upto 100 meters! Next time...

Sweet blaster!    
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Something neat I have found about the "high" mounting of optics on AK's...(for me at least):

Since I am right handed but left eye dominant, I shoot lefty. But, when using a high mounted optic on an AK I can shoot righty because it gives enough room for me to use my left eye while holding it right handed. This "unorthodox" holding style actually is very confortable.

If any of you have 2 perfect eyes, perhaps you should try your left eye/right hand when using high mounts on AK's.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#23]
YOU SIR are a PLANT KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
YOU SIR are a PLANT KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave that to the wife.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#25]

That is the 1st "tactical" AK that actually looks any good

Hey, now (with CAR for comparison):

And bonus cool points because mine cowitnesses
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
kept mine a little more basic, just added this tac light, don't think I need anything else.

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/74new2.jpg

I love those side folders!
if i could of found one of those side folders for a decent price i would of done my build around it
but maybe the wife will let me toss $300 to a kit with one with tax return

btw sweet AK's!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I like that you made good use of the side rail. It's too bad the scope mount is so high, but I bet that with a cheek rest you can fix that little problem. Have you considered a vertical fore grip?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Wait till you see Alex Robinson's (right) sidefolder!  Saw the preproduction model at the SHOT show --most impressive.  He went through ten iterations before he came up with that design.  When it comes out, I will put it on my SAM-5S.  Right now, it just has a new SEI Vortex.  Oh, and someone is working on a Beyrl-like MIL STD 1913 retrofit rail system.  Now that will be sweet!  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#29]
basketcase - nice job.
I noticed you and many others use the Surefire G2 as a weapon light.
I tried this myself, and let me tell you, if you are shooting at night, it is not the best route.
When light is on, the filament is white-hot, and really weak.
The recoil/shock from firing kills my bulb in less than two mags.
Just thought I'd let you guys know, before you go through bulbs or actually depend on the thing to work.
I know it's expensive, but if you're serious, you need to buy one of their weapon lights.
They have an isolated bulb, so there's no need to worry about going through more bulbs than batteries ;)
Their LEDs have a lifetime warranty on the bulbs, by the way.

No, I'm not a Surefire salesman.
Just trying to help out.
A|G

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
When light is on, the filament is white-hot, and really weak.
The recoil/shock from firing kills my bulb in less than two mags.

Many have used the G2 alone as weapon lights - plenty are being used in the sandbox.  You are better off is you buy the optional Z32 Anti-shock bezel (about $18 IIRC) to reduce the shock.  The bulbs used in the G2 are the same bulbs that are used in the weapon lights.  The only things the weapon lights add is the Z32 and a retention ring (which is needed to protect the bulb from the batteries slamming into it after heavy recoil - like with a .308 or 12 gauge).    If you really want to get anal you can add your own retenion ring using a nylon washer and some silicon cauk.

Now occasionally there are bad bulbs that burn out prematurely, and I don't know how well it works with 7.62x39 carbines (no problems with the 5.56 carbines so I'd assume the 5.45x39 would be ok).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#31]
"you can add your own retenion ring using a nylon washer and some silicon cauk"
Good idea.
I will look into the Z32 bezel.
Thanks for the tip Forest!

A|G
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#32]
AIG,
I should have some spares at home, I'll check and post the size.  I got them from my local hardware store - they have  drawer full of the the white nylon washers of various sizes for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#34]
why would you want to double the weight of your AK? Me thinks you are secretly an AR guy
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
While we're on the subject, here's mine:
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR1-1.jpg
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR1-2.jpg
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR1-3.jpg
A|G

nice set up,...looks pretty functional,...does the folder clear the light?,..after i get my AK-104 built i want to put a Krobra and a Surefire weapon light on it. do you have a clearer picture of the light set up?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#36]
About as uebertaktische as I want to take an AK: trigger job, cryo, those way-cool clear mags, 5.56mm, a Vortex and a low power scope.  Maybe a new cut-the-tang folder....

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
About as uebertaktische as I want to take an AK: trigger job, cryo, those way-cool clear mags, 5.56mm, a Vortex and a low power scope.  Maybe a new cut-the-tang folder....

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/031471/SAM5wVortexwZF4-1.jpg

please dont make any perm. changes to that rifle,..i have one myself,...and the only thing it gets is a 4x POSP scope and the black or clear waffles
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#38]
cruzie27,
The light set up is just a Tdi fore end and 1" mount with a Surefire G2.
Cheap and effective, well, the light needs some tweaking:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-Z.jpg
Somebody makes a cheapie tape switch that screws on the tailcap of the G2, but you can hit the button with either thumb if you have to switch shoulders.
Right thumb:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-R.jpg
Left thumb:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-L.jpg
Oh, and the stock easily clears the light
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-F.jpg

BiggyD
The mods made actually didn't add much weight. Every mod made to the gun was made to improve the handelling, with the exception of the heat sheild, that was pure fashion ;) Of course, there are a few more things I'd like to do. A Vortex would be great. As for the AR stuff, I actually don't have one yet, but when I do, it will probably be gaudy as Hell
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
cruzie27,
The light set up is just a Tdi fore end and 1" mount with a Surefire G2.
Cheap and effective, well, the light needs some tweaking:
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-Z.jpg
Somebody makes a cheapie tape switch that screws on the tailcap of the G2, but you can hit the button with either thumb if you have to switch shoulders.
Right thumb:
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-R.jpg
Left thumb:
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-L.jpg
Oh, and the stock easily clears the light
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/artoffighting/SAR-F.jpg

BiggyD
The mods made actually didn't add much weight. Every mod made to the gun was made to improve the handelling, with the exception of the heat sheild, that was pure fashion ;) Of course, there are a few more things I'd like to do. A Vortex would be great. As for the AR stuff, I actually don't have one yet, but when I do, it will probably be gaudy as Hell

Nice rifles everyone. A big congrats again to basketcase on a job well done!

A|G

Nice, very nice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I love the ak, I want my ak-74 to have a stock just like it. I heard they are difficult and expensvie to install.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the ak, I want my ak-74 to have a stock just like it. I heard they are difficult and expensvie to install.

That depends.  If you're willing to settle for a non-folding US made replica, you can get one for about $35+shipping from www.RPBonlinesales.com.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
AIG,
I should have some spares at home, I'll check and post the size.  I got them from my local hardware store - they have  drawer full of the the white nylon washers of various sizes for dirt cheap.

I couldn't find any at home - I must have given my spares away.

Bring your G2 to the store and test fit.  They rings will fit very snug.   I found there were 2 that had the right exterior dimension,  it's the hole size that was different.  You want the one with the larger hole so the spring from the end of the bulb will fit through.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top