Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2006 4:46:54 AM EDT
I went to the gun show here in JAX on Saturday not really looking to buy much, I only had $350 cash in hand. If I bring more I spend more. I got there and bought a few parts for my Glock, I'm now down to $332.

I walked around for awhile seeing what was for sale and how much each table wanted for the same gun.

After mulling around for about a 1/2 hour I came across a table selling NIB AK's (WASR-10) for $319.

I asked him if he'd take $320 tax included. He said no they're already marked down from $449.00 [cough] bullshit [/cough] . Then I asked how much that would be with tax? $347 he says. I told him I had $330 cash and that's it. His response.........."Give me your drivers license."

Got it home and tore it apart for a cleaning. Wow. Did they chisel these parts out steel?

I took it out to the range yesterday along with my SKS and shot about 20 rounds though each. It was too damn windy out.

The AK kicks a bit more than the SKS, but I did have one jam with the SKS and the AK shot without a hitch.

I do have a few questions.

Can I get a longer stock? I need about 2" more on the stock to make it comfortable.

And WTH I'm I supposed to do with the little canteen that came in the box? Is that for oil or something?

Here's a pic of the new beast.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
AWESOME!!!!!!

you got a heck of a deal/steal

let us know how it bumpfires.........
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that little tin can is for oil....

Stocks, you can smack anything you like on there.  I like K-Var as they have longer stocks available.  Check them out.  

http://www.k-var.com/shop/
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah that little tin can is for oil....

Stocks, you can smack anything you like on there.  I like K-Var as they have longer stocks available.  Check them out.  

http://www.k-var.com/shop/

Sweet thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Good deal, Congrats on your first!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went to the gun show here in JAX on Saturday not really looking to buy much, I only had $350 cash in hand. If I bring more I spend more. I got there and bought a few parts for my Glock, I'm now down to $332.

I walked around for awhile seeing what was for sale and how much each table wanted for the same gun.

After mulling around for about a 1/2 hour I came across a table selling NIB AK's (WASR-10) for $319.

I asked him if he'd take $320 tax included. He said no they're already marked down from $449.00 [cough] bullshit [/cough] . Then I asked how much that would be with tax? $347 he says. I told him I had $330 cash and that's it. His response.........."Give me your drivers license."Not a bad price, congrats

Got it home and tore it apart for a cleaning. Wow. Did they chisel these parts out steel?Yes they did, and heat treated over a open campfire. Cheap steel too

I took it out to the range yesterday along with my SKS and shot about 20 rounds though each. It was too damn windy out.

The AK kicks a bit more than the SKS, but I did have one jam with the SKS and the AK shot without a hitch.Sounds about par for the course

I do have a few questions.

Can I get a longer stock? I need about 2" more on the stock to make it comfortable.Many American shooters desire that extra length, try KVAR as listed below. Gotta remember that Mr Kalashnikov though the soldiers would be wearing thick parkas up in Siberia

And WTH I'm I supposed to do with the little canteen that came in the box? Is that for oil or something?Yes, but I dont know anyone that uses it, some might.

Here's a pic of the new beast.

Looks good and ya did well, congrats. You will grow to love the new evil gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]

AJ-IN-JAX how was the show? I didn't go, figured it might be a waste of time....Like the last one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AJ-IN-JAX how was the show? I didn't go, figured it might be a waste of time....Like the last one.

Yeah, it was kinda small. There was much more at the last one at the Morocco shrine, that is if you count the endless tables of Nazi memorabilia that is always at the MS shows.

And it was the same usual suspects that are at most shows.

There was one new table there. Guy had a slew of M1-.30cal Carbines and M1 Garands along with a bunch of older stuff. Stuff that "collectors" would want to buy.

It was worth going though, wasn't much more to do on Sat. The weather was too shitty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#9]
for longer stocks make sure they are NATO length, or is it warsaw length????..............oh well somebody coming along will clear me up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
for longer stocks make sure they are NATO length, or is it warsaw length????..............oh well somebody coming along will clear me up.hr

NATO is longer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that they sell the ar15 style stocks at aimsurplus which have 6 different lengths to set at
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]

His response.........."Give me your drivers license."

Did you ask him if you were speeding?  I hate it when people ask for my drivers license, they need to ask for a valid photo ID, whatever that may be.  I'm not even sure why it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
these WASRs are a little rough around the edges, but very reliable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#14]
[smacking forehead]

Awww Crud, I bought a post ban.

Dammit, Impulse buying can be a bad thing, especially when you've done no research into what you're buying.

I didn't realized until yesterday that it's a post-ban rifle, no muzzle break & bayonet lugs removed.

------

I take it that since the barrel nut has a bit of a weld on it that it's not threaded and I'd have to thread the barrel if I want to put on a muzzle break. Right?

And I've already ran across WJM's thread about his threading tool.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=287567
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Yeah...but it's not a big deal... little spot of weld ground to shape for the bayo lug ears, and then cut the muzzle nut welds with a dremel tool and tap it off with a hammer and chisel.  Unfortunately with this version the barrel is turned down too small for the correct AK threads.  You can thread it in 1/2" thread for ar-15 and find an ak74 brake threaded in 1/2", or you can do what I did.  I cut 1/8" off the barrel to get the length right, then I crowned it with a hand drill and brass carriage bolt and some valve grinding compound.  Then, I slid a slant brake over, drilled through and dimpled the barrel.  Threaded the hole and installed a set screw.  JB Welded the brake on, tightened it down, ground the setscrew off, and painted it black.  I also installed the detent pin (made from a broken drill bit) to make the brake look like it was screwed on.

I probably could have just spot welded the slant brake on, but I didn't have a welder at the time.

http://www.flkitesurf.com/old/aks.jpg

Despite the secretly missing threads, the rifle looks and shoots great.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top