Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 3:44:28 PM EDT
I just got my first AK this Saturday. It's a Romanian SAR-1. I had a chance to shoot it on Sunday, and it worked pretty well. No failures of any kind, though it did seem to loosen up a bit. I have most of it figured out, but I still have a few questions.

It came with a little buttstock cleaning kit which seems pretty clever, but has a few confusing parts. The cleaning rod has a slot near the end, and I'm not sure what it's for. The rod by itself isn't long enough to run a patch through the barrel, and the thread-on patch holder has it's own slot. So what are you supposed to do with it? There's also a little flat tool with a front sight adjuster on one end and a screwdriver on the other. This tool also has a U-shaped notch in the middle, and I can't figure out what it's for. There's also a tool that looks like a pin punch, but I don't see any pins that are the same size as it. I was also wondering if there's any way to get some oil and patches in the buttstock kit.

I haven't sighted it in yet, but I can see how to adjust the front sight for elevation by turning it with the buttstock kit tool (using the case as a handle). However, I can't see how to adjust for windage. Also, the rear sight has numbers for the range adjustment. What are the units for these numbers? Hundreds of yards? Meters?

Also, how should I clean the gas tube?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome! This excellent site should answer all of those questions and more.  
linx310.nothingbutguns.com/
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummm - don't you have a rod under the barrel?

A. Cleaning Jag(used to hold cleaning patch)

B. Multi tool

C. Pin Punch

D. Bore Brush

E. Tool Kit Cap

F. Tool Kit Case

G. Cleaning Rod(Not stored in tool kit)
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
F makes nice T-handle for B.
For the gas tube, a loose swab of the cleaning patch is usually good, or a 12ga brush works fine for scrubbing. Neither the tube nor the piston need to shine after every time. I prefer a brass toothbrush for the gas piston grooves occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Welcome! This excellent site should answer all of those questions and more.
linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

Thanks! I had seen that site before and it looked really nice, but I forgot to bookmark it and I also forgot how I found it. I spent a good half hour or so typing various things into google to try and find it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top