Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2003 6:06:17 PM EDT
After letting him shoot my Colt M4, and Sig 226, he was hooked on shooting...went down and helped him pick out an SAR1 (he is on a budget and wanted the best value for a gun and ammo, the SAR is it) Picked up 1000 rounds of ammo, and his SAR is gorgeous...no sight or block cant, and the finish is absolutely gorgeous...its 2001 model, and is very very nice, I dont have anywhere to host the pic, but if anyone does let me know. I didnt expect it to look this good.

A couple things: If you look straight down at the front sight post, the post inside of the crescent sight assembly isnt rotated all the way perpendicular to the barrel, is that cool? Im guessing its probably cosmetic. Also, the charging handle (bolt handle? whats it called on an AK? heh) sticks when you release it slowly about halfway to the chamber, im sure this will work itself out when he puts some rounds through it.

Lastly, the ammo we bought is some kinda "Tiger brand" ammo, never heard of it...is this barnaul mfg or wolf? It has a purple sealant on the bullet, all I have ever seen is red.

All in all he is a happy camper, going to take him out tommorow and teach him how to shoot it/clean it (haha...clean it? bah, pour a little oil in it) and have some fun!

Im getting my own commie weapon in a couple weeks...its romanian, but it doesnt shoot 7.62x39, and it comes with a scope...heehee..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The bolt sticking about half way back is normal and will correct itself after a few hundred rounds. I can't help you on the ammo. Now you need to get him to start hanging out here!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured as much, just wanted to make sure, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Yeah, he wants to hang here...but all he has is a o-so-very-uncool hotmail email account...and the site doesnt let peeps with "anonymous" email addresses register...so he cant :(

Ill have to find some way to get him on the boards...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a SAR1 that wont require $200+ dollars in cosmetics and function.  The sight thing is no big deal, and the bolt stick is fairly normal, and is sometimes used as a crude (and not very reliable) bolt hold-open.  He will probably want to change out the FCG, but then he might get lucky there too.  Is the rifle you are getting a Romak III/PSL by chance?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah im hoping it doesnt trigger slap too bad...ive fired a couple AKs that did, and it drove me nuts.

Yeah...the PSL/Romak-III...I need something that I can turn into a project that could possibly be a worthwhile hunting rifle, and I think the PSL is it. Doing all my research on it now. I cant wait!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't sweat the trigger slap, it's a very easy fix.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Romak IIIs are on my "I want" list. There have been good posts on them here.

I held one at a gunshow.  My initial reaction was that I wanted to either drop it or throw it at the salesman.  Sorry but compared with other high power military rifles that has got to be the least ergonomic piece of crap ever built.

Try an M1A out first.......... Or at least an AR10.  Then never look back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Happy to report:

His AK shot great. Had some difficulty chambering rounds out of a couple of his mags (the bolt was sticking halfway to the rear) but after a couple hundred rounds all was well.

We had a couple funny moments, one being when we were both blasting away, he safes his rifle, runs over to me with it, and goes "Dude, my rifle is on fire or something!" I look at it and his front grips are smoking, and I started laughing my ass off, "dont worry about it until they actually light on fire bro"

Another not so funny moment for me when was I was off to his right behind some rocks, and we are both blasting cans, and suddenly my left ear is on FIRE, I cant feel the damn thing at all, just horrible burning pain. Scream a seize fire at him, and remove the commie steel case from my ear, along with the earplug that was starting to melt. Ouch! He thought it was hilarious, lol. I quickly and in an oh-so-nicely-colored way gave him a lesson in casing ejection dynamics, and how unlikle with my Colt M4 thats makes neat piles of brass, his communist rifle likes to spread brass/steel over a 20 foot square area, and launches the casings at least 5-15 feet.

All in all a good day, he was impressed how my 5.56 can throw the cans I hit about 15 feet in the air, and how his 7.62 tends to just cover them in dirt once it passes through them, heh.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top