Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2005 11:44:35 AM EDT
Hello again to all - been a while since posting; goo to be back.
With the upcoming ban on kits, I felt it was time to go for an underfoder. Local FFL did the transfer, rifle was ordered with a copy of FFL overnited to them, & it was here in less tha a week from the day copy was sent. The receiver is an Armory USA, with original serial # showing on the barrel trunion with a date of mfg. in 1985. Came with 2 mags, pouch, a 2 chamber oil bottle, sling, cleaning rod & kit, but NO bayonet.  (The one in the pic is a Russian, but it fits) Overall I give it a B-, the laminated lower handguard is nice but the upper on the gas tube is rough and the color is way off from the bottom handguard. One of the mags had a healthy dent in its side, but both mags had duracoat or whatever the finish is that has been applied to the rest of the weapon. Cleaning rod was not refinished and does not match well as its finish is worn and coming ooff. Test fired last week w/100% reliability, no hiccups whatsoever, and no noticeable trigger slap. Trigger is not bad, but like most in the AK family is too narrow for my taste. Point of impact was about 6 inches right, but was easily set w/AK sight tool.
(The front sight was way left as deivered, now it is centered and hitting the bull - unlike my Romanian that is way left to center its groups) Bore is chrome lined and definitely not shot out, this thing has some serous lands. Underfolder is in excellent shape and locks tight, but has a cheekweld like a cheap tennis raquet. (Not unlike any other AK underfolder, but who cares - It certainly has a cool factor that brought lots of oohs, ahhs, and looks of concern from fellow shooters in plaid at the range)

If you buy one of these, don't expect a museum or safe queen piece as these are 20 plus year old rifles that have been cut up and parted out, but the cost is way less than a new Arsenal or used Polytech. All in all I don't think it was a bad investment at $599 + transfer fee.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I like your new baby. Very "purty"!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it, thanks for the review.  The polished bolt carrier looks real nice I like the way it sets it off from the rest of the gun.   What US parts did they use?  I wonder if you could add one inside (gas piston maybe) to allow the use of the original pistol grip.  Nice rifle.  Now I have to go start on my polish kit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Apears that  the trigger group, gas piston, bolt carrier, and pistol grip are US made new parts. Weren't the original Polish pistol grips wood & a lot thicker? Most US grips seem skinny to me..
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Apears that  the trigger group, gas piston, bolt carrier, and pistol grip are US made new parts. Weren't the original Polish pistol grips wood & a lot thicker? Most US grips seem skinny to me..

It would be interesting to know which parts are US.
I would imagine that you have a US FCG (3), receiver (1), PG (1) and the 6th is either the piston or the brake.

I plan to finish mine using the above parts with piston AND brake so I can use the OEM polish PG (bakelite?) for more of a traditional look.

Enjoy the rifle!

The Other Chris
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I would bet he's got a US piston because his brake looks correct Polish and I am finding it hard to find a made in the US that's not long like the Romy ones...

I've got a kit that will be built using a Tapco piston so I can use the bakelite pistol grip- it's the same exact size as that particular black grip.  A guy on this board is making me an authentic Polish type brake so that will be the brake that goes on the rifle.  My wood matches great but is darker than your lower handguard.  your upper handguard looks like it was mixed up with another set but it's kinda neat that none of it matches.  you could always get in touch with laukart on the EE and get some nice polish wood that ALL matches if you get a US piston and brake...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top