Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:51:31 PM EDT
Purchased a wire side folder off the EE for my new SAR-1.

The damn thing came from the original owner with the wrong screws.  Anyone have a line on where to find a pair of screws?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They are metric 5mm machine screws which you can get two for under a dollar at ACE hardware.  Those are what most of the vendors used when they sell them as I have bought some and went and got the same ones at ACE.  You may have to cut them done but it takes a minute with a dremel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect - Do you happen to know the lengths for the front and back screws?

* guess I need to break down and buy a Dremel (bracing for Dremel-nazis)

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I don't know the length as it depends on what rear block your rifle was built with and which of the available folders you have and the two screws may be need different lengths. Too long and the folder will not fold, too short and you may not get enough of the screw into the folder threads.  

Your just going to have to get the screws and cut them to the correct length.  You can grind them or try cutting with a hacksaw but a dremel is the way to do it.  You can put the stock on, open the folder and measure the depth of the rear hole to get an idea but I don't think the screws will be short enough for the rear hole without shortening.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i used hex head machine screws cut down to length. had to shave down the head on the screw under the recoil spring. 5mm sounds about right, but i forget

they are less than 1/4" long.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i used hex head machine screws cut down to length. had to shave down the head on the screw under the recoil spring. 5mm sounds about right, but i forget

they are less than 1/4" long.

There are a variety of lengths and heads available.  I used a button head type with the allen wrench slot and they fit without doing any grinding of the head for the hole in the block, but I have had to grind down other head types.  It also depends what type of rear block the SAR comes with because I think they used two different types.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you will have to cut ONE of them down. The other fit fine.

I would use a little blue locktite or something similar. I think I just put a tiny drop of fingernail polish on mine.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They are metric 5mm machine screws which you can get two for under a dollar at ACE hardware.  Those are what most of the vendors used when they sell them as I have bought some and went and got the same ones at ACE.  You may have to cut them done but it takes a minute with a dremel.

Mak - you nailed this one.  $0.13 at TruValue hardware.  
Of course, I ended up spending $80 on a Dremel tool (and a million accessories I NEEDED)
Couple drops of Blue Lock Tight and shazam!  It looks great, every thing is snug.

Does a clean SAR-1 with a wire folder command a premium over a model with stock wood or synthetic furniture?

Thanks again - love this board.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does a clean SAR-1 with a wire folder command a premium over a model with stock wood or synthetic furniture?

Yeah, the folding stocks are like 50-60 bucks, whereas a wood stock isnt worth much.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mak - you nailed this one.  $0.13 at TruValue hardware.  
Of course, I ended up spending $80 on a Dremel tool (and a million accessories I NEEDED)
Couple drops of Blue Lock Tight and shazam!  It looks great, every thing is snug.

Thanks again - love this board.

Your welcome.  Of course, we could have just waited, someone would have come along and told you that you needed a 5/16" machine screw.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top