Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2005 5:48:37 AM EDT
I had been on the lookout for a PSL without the optics, but they were hard to come by. In another thread, someone mentioned that a used one was for sale over on Gunboards.com, and I snagged it up for a pretty good price. SOG continues to show these in their catalog, but they haven't had any in ages. I feel pretty lucky for finding this one.

The fit and finish on this rifle is very much in line with the SAR's that I've seen. The varnish on the stock is brushed on, and brush marks are clearly evident. No effort was made to smooth it out.

I took off all the wood, sanded it smoother with some 220 grit and then hit it with a coat of catalyzed lacquer. I also detail stripped the rifle completely to get rid of all the cosmoline. The shepherd's hook was the spawn of Satan himself. Normally, I'm pretty goodwith those, but this particular one had me cursing like a sailor after about 20 minutes.

The scope is a POSP 8x42D from Yuri at Freedomoptics. Unfortunately, I'm left-eye dominant, so the scope's position being slightly to the left of the receiver isn't ideal. I'll have to cut the rubber on the eyepiece eventually togive a better fit. Here's the rifle:

Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it tomorrow; it's been so hot around here, going out at all is no pleasure...
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
hmmm... very nice.
Is it Romanian? and may I ask you how much you pay for it?
Sweet rifle.... wish I could have one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Mmmmmm...7.62mm X 54mm.........recoilishious..............

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
that thing would look awesome with some russian red stain.

nice rifle, I wish the kits were still around
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That's not a bad idea. I may take you up on that idea sometime...
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Would really be interested in a range report.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW! that is very nice!
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ya mean like this?

That would be awesome.

I'd like to get myself a Romak-3 and get it refinished by Chris Butler and stained deep red like that. THAT would be truly awesome.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to the range this evening to try out my new toy, and came away happy after some problems.

First of all, the rifle functioned 100% shooting cheap Czech silvertip surplus ammo (40 rounds). That wasn't the problem. I had issues with the scope slipping off and not being able to zero at first. I took a couple of shots at 25, and then moved to 100. I never did get on paper at 100. I finally determined that, genius that I am, that I had mounted the scope incorrectly. (You make fun of me, I kill ya')

With that problem resolved, I went back to 25 and 50, then out to 100. It only took a couple of shots to get it zeroed after that. It shot about a 3" group, but I hadn't cleaned the barrel since i got it either, so I'm not too concerned. Remember that this is 60's milsurp ammo too. On a positive note, the cases weren't dinged up at all, so reloading might be an option. I'll keep an eye out for the Wolf 150gr ammo, which is supposed to be pretty accurate. It was also a little windy, which is another reason I'm not concerned about accuracy.

After getting the scope issue ironed out, I feel good about this purchase. I knew going into this deal that I wasn't acquiring a super-accurate sniper rifle. I thought it would be a neat rifle to have for a reasonable amount of money, and cheap to shoot with all the milsurp that's out there. With that in mind, I'm 100% satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice rifle.  RS39 redid his with Gunkote and got it lookin' damn good

I might entertain that thought; it seems like it would not be that hard.
On the other hand, there's something about keeping it looking "ghetto".
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Your'e right, it is hot at hell itself right now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, uh, you were letting the scope kick your ass huh?

Yeah - I feel like a 'tard. I don't know why - I've got two AK's with scope rails that I have scopes for, and I don't know why I was trying to slide the POSP on from front to rear instead of the other way around on the PSL. DUH!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya mean like this?

img231.imageshack.us/img231/959/akpslwoodw9ny.jpg

That would be awesome.

I'd like to get myself a Romak-3 and get it refinished by Chris Butler and stained deep red like that. THAT would be truly awesome.

H-O-T.  I need to find that mythical bag of 3 million dollars from the other thread.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]
My handiwork on the wood furniture and Josh Newton's GunKote work on the metal.

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya mean like this?

That would be awesome.

Hmmm, those look familiar...

-k
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You won't really do better on Wolf, as the CZ is very consistent ammo (why I have 5 crates). Trigger quality varies on these, and I lucked out with a darned nice one. They do care about bbl pressure from your hold.

Summer project is a sling stud where the rec/handguard meet so I can share the Harris bipod from my bolt gun.

That's good to know. I'll buy a box if I see one just for grins.

I was thinking the exact same thing on the sling swivel and bipod idea.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I got the POSP scope sighted in thanks to the owner's manuals. It took some fiddling with the elevation knob to get it to rotate independently. A pair of pliers finally got it separated and moving freely from the top knob.

Still very odd to have the reticle off-center like that...
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.

Me thinks I will have to take a closer look at that soon.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#22]
wow your right

i got my paratrooper from centerfiresystems, about a year ago. it looks like they no longer have them.  the only other place that had them(that i know of) was k-var but I just looked and they are not there either

that sucks

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya mean like this?

That would be awesome.

Hmmm, those look familiar...

-k

Don't they?

Quoted:
wow your right

i got my paratrooper from centerfiresystems, about a year ago. it looks like they no longer have them.  the only other place that had them(that i know of) was k-var but I just looked and they are not there either

that sucks

Quoted:

Classic Arms has one paratrooper model in stock for $800 and the regular version for $650. Both come with the military scopes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My handiwork on the wood furniture and Josh Newton's GunKote work on the metal.

www.newtonfirearms.com/main/plugins/p17_image_gallery/images/324.jpg

That's a beautiful job!  Could you list what you used on the wood and where you got that buttpad?  I've seen them on a couple of other rifles.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#26]
The buttpad is a Bulgarian.  I think I got it from KVAR.

As for finishing the wood, I used 80 and 100 grit to get the shellac off the wood.  I then worked my way up to 180 and 220 grit.  I wiped it down with water to raise the grain and hit it a couple of times with 0000 steel wool.  I used rit dye and denatured alcohol to mix up a custom stain.  Stained it to my tastes, let it dry, and then put on three or four coats of Tung Oil.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy thread resurrection!

I had a chance to shoot this rifle on a KD range out to 600 yards. I didn't expect much in the way off accuracy, but I had no problems hitting steel silhouttes out to 500 yards, a little more sporadic at 600, but the wind was pretty strong. The next day, I shot on paper out to 300, and was very happy. Mind you- this is with cheap 60's Czech Silvertip. I figure, this rifle shoots minute of person at about 500 yards, and that's pretty friggin deadly. The 8x42D POSP scope worked pretty well too.

I'm still very happy with this rifle. I shot about 300 rounds this weekend, and had one failure to feed with no cleaning. It's a heck of a bargain if you can find one...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#28]
My question, does it sound as scary as an M44?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Great. Now you've only reinforced my need to own this gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My question, does it sound as scary as an M44?

No, I don't think it's quite that bad. The only bad thing about the gun is that stupid muzzle brake. It's open on the bottom. I had mounted a bipod on it, and was shooting prone. The weather in Texas has been very hot and dry, and the first day the wind was blowing back towards the shooter. Every shot would pick up a handful of the dry, cut grass and blow it back in my face...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#31]
ive got the PSL model with 8x scope,....

at 100yds i can dump a mag into a 3in. circle shooting as fast as i can with a semi-auto

at 600yds i wont get you with pin point accy,..but i will get ya

i havent tried 1000yds yet but im sure i can f-up someone's day at that distance.

i guess the army training helps

any states allow semi auto rifle for hunting? PA does not and thats the one logical reason i had to buy it,. and boy am i glad i did

if your close to or gonna goto houston theres this range in the george bush state park out there just south off I-10 and HWY 6 i think they go out to 600-800yds and is 7 bucks to shoot there,...theres pistol ,shotgun, rifle, and a skeet/trap range there also

i shot there when i was home for R&R,..super place,
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top