Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 1:16:43 PM EDT
Here's my AK74 that I just purchased today. It's a great gun and I'm going to beging some modifications/ad-ons to it as soon as possible!

[imglhttp://www.hunt101.com/?p=48615&c=548&z=1"]http://www.hunt101.com/img/048615.jpg
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I'm going to add a Russian scope as soon as possible and then head on up to the CO hills to shoot! By the way, I have 12 Russian 30rd mags. for the AK74 that I'm selling. I'm going to post them on the Equipment Exchange tonight, so if you know of anyone who needs some...send 'em over!
Mark
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
When you said AK-74, do you mean a SAR2? and where did you get that uniform? I am looking for a Spetnatz (spell?)combat uniform.

Other than that nice rifle, and I would suggest a Redo dot Kobra sight, they are probably the most awesome addition you can make.

Black_Rifle
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a SAR-2 ( same as an AK74, right? ). I got the Soviet tunic from a Russian guy who somehow brought over a lot of former Commmunistic Russion militaria and now lives in the Sates. I can send his contact info to you vai email of you'd like it. Where do you suggest I get that scope you mentioned? Are they expensive?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot it with the iron sight for a couple outings.  See how you like in the original configuration (iron sighted).  Control the flames guys, but I think optics on AK's is downright ugly.  Just my opinion.  

Boulder,
I have a SAR-2 as well, very reliable shootoer, I was surprised how well it shoots out to 300 yards.  The 5.45x39 is a neat round.  I did replace my stocks with K-VAR plum colored parts, got the longer size and it fits me well.  There are several threads with photos of refinished stocks on SAR1 & SAR2's here.  Some look REALLY nice.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree about the length of the factory stock, I need to get one a bit longer to feel more comfortable. I also want to install a muzzle brake, but can't secide between the slant or flat. Any suggestions? How would compare the accuracy between the SAR-1 and SAR-2 at 100-300 yards? I'm thinking of getting a SAR-1, but wonder if it's worth it. Suggestions????
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
As I mentioned I have a SAR2.  I don't see any need for a muzzle break, there are very controllable as is.  If you want one for originality or for looks then get what you like/want.

On accuracy I repeatedly hear that the SAR2's are typically more accurate than the SAR1's.  Remember we are talking $300 rifles shooting 7 to 10 cent a pop ammo.  I have a couple AR-15's that are more accurate, but unless I shoot from a support AND use 17 cent a round ammo the AK shoots just as good. (but the AR15 cost 3 times as much).

I personally will keep my AK unscoped, I have other weapons that when I need longer range and tighter accuracy I will select them.  My scoped bolt action 308 will put 5 round into a orange at 300 yards from a field rested position.  The AK74 is for under 100 yards and FUN shooting.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#9]
POint well taken. I really would like to add an AR15 to my collection, but you're right about thier cost, so I'm going to have to wait a bit. I was thinking about getting the AK47 now becuase, as I have been hearing from several reliable sources, it's quite possible that whatever current stock of AK's that have been imported, those my be the last for a very long time due to the insidious and illinformed assault weapons ban laws. So I want to get one before thier prices begin to rise substantially.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top