Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:33 AM EST
Ok, I'm settled on some sort of AK varient, but still sweating the details. Need some feedback.

I want .223 for the following reasons:

flat trajectory at range. (Like out to 200/250 yards)

NATO ammo availablity.

But my budget is only a little over $300 (gotta keep some money aside for mags, ammo and excessories)

Problems,

Saiga puts funny crimps on shell casings (Uncomfortable with that for a variety of reasons)

SAR too expensive

HI Cap WASR in .223 not yet available, and details like quality, which mags etc unknown.

I would be content to settle a little and go for a 5.45, but quality ammo availability seems to be difficult.

As far as 7.62x39 I'm very familiar with the round and have shot a lot through SKSs, but I've never tried to hit anything beyond 100 yards with one. I don't feel confident in its abilities beyond 150 yards.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:43:03 AM EST
I've got a SAR3, which I love. If you're waiting for a WASR in .223 thinking it will be as good as a SAR3, I'd be careful. The SAR3 is not reliable with the Century supplied mag, you have the either buy the Weigers or modify 5.45 bakelites with the Robar VEPR follower. With the WASR, who knows if these fixes would work? I would hold off until you hear for certain that the WASR will work with the Weiger mags, otherwise, I'd pass. The .223 AKs are kind of mag sensitive, it's their weak point. Less than $300 might not be enough money to get a good one.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:40:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:42:46 AM EST
5.45 all the way!!!!!

1. Its a real AK round ...
2. Cheaper than 5.56 ..
3. Mags cheap and work well..( I havent seen a bad E. German yet)
4. You cant beat an AR for shooting 5.56..
Top Top