Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page AK-47 » Russian
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 12:36:20 AM EST
I want to upgrade the useless (to me) iron sights on my Vepr so that I can actually use it in low light conditions.

The AR-15's rear aperture/front blade isn't highly regarded by high power shooters (they apparently perfer a front and rear aperture system...), but I would like to add a rear aperture and maybe a front aperture for my Vepr.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:18:19 AM EST
Ive been thinking about KNS Precision Inc.'s sights. Anyone else have an opinion on these?

DSA sells these for $24.00 and I have a Williams peep sight for a rear sight on my SAR-1 but would be willing to try RSA's rear peep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:51:08 AM EST
It looks like you have an SKS?

I haven't found any other aperture or "peep" sights for the AK-47 (I have a Vepr K in 7.62x39)

I find the blade rear sight to be a total POS and worthless sight. Coupled with the inaccuracy of the AK design, I don't see how anyone short of an expert marksman can hit anything using AK irons at 300yd+

I was thinking about going with a red dot for my Vepr, but I want a SHTF type of solution and as everyone knows in a SHTF situation, Murphy's Law applies (batteries die, scope cracks, etc...) so I want a reliable but quasi-accurate iron sight solution.

My AR-15's rear Long-Range aperture is very easy to use and you can see the "middle" of the aperture becuase of a weird shadow.

I'm wondering if the Mojo does the same thing. For $40, I hope it works very well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:44:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:44:59 AM EST
Metro, I'd like to try the combo of the rear peep and the KNS and see if it improves my shots. It may be my only real option for my RPK74 other than a ultimak rail.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:52:30 AM EST
Stupid Question: How do you replace the rear sight? Do I stick a punch down the hole in the Mojo sight to push down the leaf spring, then wiggle the sight out?

I saw the Kreb Custom peep sight. It's got the same aperture diameter as the Mojo, with the exception that it uses the elevation slide.

Here's my issue with the elevation slide: Using 7.62x39 bullet trajectory data, you can really only shoot a max of 200-250yd before there's significant bullet drop (-40" or lower) making it difficult to hit a point target at long ranges (maybe you can hit a vehicle using Kentucky sighting).

So what is the significant of an elevation slide that goes to 800m? It looks like I can zero the irons at 25yd and it'd be good from 0-200 yd with some drop at 250yd and a LOT of drop at 300yd.

That means I can just keep the rear sight at one elevation and adjust the front iron sight so I can zero out at 25yd/25m and it'd be "battlesight zero'd" for 200-250yd.

Is there any error in the above statements?

The Kreb's sight looks like the best drop-in replacement by retaining the elev. slide, but if what I said is true, the slide is pretty much useless and the Mojo is less expensive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:09:10 AM EST
I can tell you that putting on my Williams rear peep was a bitch, about what you described.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:43:37 PM EST
I ordered the Mojo sight from Midway but I had to get something else that was on discount. They ship a LOT faster than Mojo from what I've heard.

Anyhow - the Kreb's sight would have been $50 shipped... That's $10 more than the Mojo. Since no one really opposed my opinion about adjusting the elevation, I'm going through with my plan.

I sincerely think that the AK cannot be treated like an AR-15 and have the rear leaf adjusted in a battlefield to hit targets beyond 200-250yd.

Based on the M43 bullet trajectory, I'd be surprised if anyone other than expert marksmen/persons were hitting dead-on at 300yd+ with the factory AK iron sights. So my plan is to adjust the Mojo elevation as close as possible to the "battle sight" setting on the stock AK leaf sight, and adjust the front post to zero out at 50yd or 25yd (it looks like if I zero at 25yd, assuming no windage extremes, that it'll zero at 200yd) and that'll give me only +5" between 0 and 250 yd, thus giving me a relatively "flat" trajectory in a battlesight configuration.

Anything more than 300yd (if I can find a range that long in my area) is tackled by my AR-15 with plenty of glass (to compensate for my poor vision).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:51:20 PM EST
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:13:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2004 2:13:17 PM EST by metroplex]
Hey, BTW - it took me 5 seconds to take off the old sight. I know you said it could be a PITA to install but all I did was stick a flat head screwdriver down that middle groove of the old sight and push down hard and the sight popped right off.

I see the Mojo has an installation detent... you could stick a phillips screwdriver there and push down to install it.

I'm heading over to the range right after I get the Mojo, so I'll post a range report asap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:32:10 PM EST
Yeah, it wasn't take the old site out but installing the new one. The Williams peep sight uses a retaining pin that is not a part of the peep sight itself. That make for a double install of sorts. Maybe my leaf spring is just very tight but I had to put all my body weight down on it to move it down enought to slide the retaining pin and the again to slide the sight under the retaining pin. I may switch to the Mojo because the Williams has popped off during fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:34:09 PM EST
Finished the installation

For one person, it's a royal PITA. So I had a strong helper help out.

The key is to use a strong but small tool to push down the spring while another person slips in the sight. What we ended up using was a large file (the metal file) and used the sharp point part to push down the spring while I slipped in the sight. It took less than 30 seconds to complete.

The Mojo sight is a very solid piece of steel that is machined (not cast) to what appears to be exacting tolerances. The elevation and windage screws use a 1/16" hex wrench to adjust. The aperture can be changed (wow!!) and the instructions say there's a 0.120" and an even smaller aperture available. The aperture is just a tube that threads into the housing and its really neat.

The sight picture is the most interesting part:
Basically the two "wings" on the FSB blend with the round part of the Mojo sight, so all you see is the post with the rear aperture, making a very usable iron sight combo.

I will have to zero it out this weekend and take it shooting.

BTW

My Vepr K has a canted front sight. The stock rear iron sight didn't show this but its obvious and clear as daylight when you compare it with the Mojo. Robinson Arms or Molot or whoever assembled the FSB didn't take their time to check things.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:04:15 PM EST
Got back from the range after expending 40+ rounds...

To sum it up: Wow. It should have been equipped on all AK/RPK/Veprs from the factory...

It made sighting much easier and faster, I couldn't believe it was a RPK/Vepr that I was using. The rear aperture makes a world of a difference.

I found that my Vepr's FSB was very canted from the factory and I had to compensate on the Mojo by adjusting for windage. It ended up requiring the aperture to be moved almost all the way to the right (it certainly doesn't sit flush).

I adjusted the elevation stud to the point where it doesn't block the aperture. I then adjusted ONLY the front post for elevation (ala AR-15).

The rear blade sight was a poor design from the get-go and I have no idea why the Russians didn't develop a rear aperture sight.
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top