Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/10/2011 6:24:52 PM EDT
Not getting any info yet in the yugo section

First things first.   I saw on a local ad here in Florida, a Yugo M70 for sale.   asking price....550 with a 75 round chinese drum.    i wasnt really interested as i already had a  Century build M70 but i thought not a bad price with the drum and a mag included..  I went to look at it and bought it on the spot.  It is a Mitchell arms Import  M90 engraved. i assume its one of the 1000 Post ban (thank you to the person who did the list on here) underfolders.   it has the bayo lug ears shaved off and the too long pin to depress slant brake installed pseudo permanent.   the supposed thumb hole stock that they came with was long gone and has a matching wood pistol grip in its place (I have no clue what the post ban looked like with its original stock as i have been googling it and have had no luck.)  the rifle is in incredible shape and if fired it wasnt much.  Now i see all kind of info on the preban Mitchell arms ak 47 value and details, and a lot on the M90 308 rifle.   But what should i know about this postban as i cant find much.   how can i tell if its 922 compliant (i have a g2 trigger to drop in if needed ?   what kind of value would it be placed at?  I have to assume the owner thought he had a normal Yugo century build.   i just sold my century gun for 450 quickly so that the wife didnt scream about missing bank funds

pics

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
you sir are an

good buy!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
OOOOOOO,I really hate your ass right about now!
Congrats on the great deal!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice gun, & great score. 922 doesn't apply to you. It applies to the importer, or assembler. Since you purchased it that way, it is perfectly legal as is. If YOU removed the thumbhole stock & put on the pistol grip, then YOU would have to deal with 922. Just leave it like it is, & you're good to go.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Smokin deal on that Mitchell...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice gun, & great score. 922 doesn't apply to you. It applies to the importer, or assembler. Since you purchased it that way, it is perfectly legal as is. If YOU removed the thumbhole stock & put on the pistol grip, then YOU would have to deal with 922. Just leave it like it is, & you're good to go.  GARY  N4KVE

Pheww thank you gary, that is the info i was hoping to hear.  

and thanks to all of you.   i knew i had a deal, just not sure how good of one

does the gun have any value compared to one of the guns that didnt get the bayonet lug shaved off?    will it hurt the value to reweld a lug onto it or again...just leave it alone?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a great score, friend.

For the record, I have never seen one of the M90 models w/ a thumbhole stock. All had a full wood stock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pheww thank you gary, that is the info i was hoping to hear.  

and thanks to all of you.   i knew i had a deal, just not sure how good of one

does the gun have any value compared to one of the guns that didnt get the bayonet lug shaved off?    will it hurt the value to reweld a lug onto it or again...just leave it alone?

Well, the M90s are valued less than the true pre-ban Mitchell and American Arms Yugos, but are still pretty rare and collectible.
I would not mess with  bayo lug if it were mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For the record, I have never seen one of the M90 models w/ a thumbhole stock. All had a full wood stock.

It ain't pretty:

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I don;t think the UF came with the thumbhole stock only the fixed stock did.  You can drive out the front pin on the front sight and take out the spacer and replace it with a detent spring to make the muzzle brake removable.  

But yeah, the plastic thumbhole stock aint pretty.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#10]
the underfolder did came with that ugly plastic stock. The stock was folded forward and the "thumbhole" stock was attached. That's how I bought mine anyway.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]

I would see if you can find a grenade sb and change it out.

Great find!

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
the Mitchells didn't come w/ the grenade GB. I think adding one would detract from it's value IMO. FYI, on the 2 Mitchells I owned the lugs were ground off, but had just enough meat to still hold a bayo....
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the underfolder did came with that ugly plastic stock. The stock was folded forward and the "thumbhole" stock was attached. That's how I bought mine anyway.

That is indeed how the owner explained the rifle to be.  a thumbhole stock that wouldnt allow the folder to open, yet it was moveable.  

the muzzle brake pin doesnt appear to have a spacer installed?  or maybe it just wont come out.?   are normal ak pins a bit longer on one side than the other?   and where can i get a spring?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, the M90s are valued less than the true pre-ban Mitchell and American Arms Yugos, but are still pretty rare and collectible.
I would not mess with  bayo lug if it were mine.

i think ill leave that aspect of it alone.  TY
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Great score, looks very nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
took it to the range today and i have to say the trigger on the gun is incredible.  it puts my G2 to shame.   a factory double hook.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes that's how I remember seeing them as well, but I bought the fixed stock version, just like liquidmetal's photo.  Not only were the bayonet lug "Ears" milled off, but the flip up tritium night sight was completely gone.   For anyone who does convert back to the Yugo wooden stock, the rubber buttplate that is installed on the end of the plastic thumbhole stock is the correct buttplate for the wood.  So don't through it away!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
By the way I checked my receipts and it was $599 at the time, that was when I was living in CA and right before their semi-auto ban.  So that was a "High" panic price and the underfolders were even higher.  I still have the receipt for the genuine Yugo stock set (Butt stock without rubber buttplate, wooden pistol grip) and it was $29.99 from CDNN.  These were 1998 prices.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
as for the muzzle break, IIRC, they aren't pinned per say, but have the spring removed and a pin in it's place. Buy a spring, know out front pin, and reinstall with spring. Hope that makes sense....
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
luckily my night sights are still there, and amazingly still have a bit of glow left in them
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]
there indeed was a piece of rod behing the flash hider pin.    replaced it wih a spring and good to go.   thanks for all the help everyone
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#22]
awesome, All mine had the night sites also.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top