Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/27/2003 2:59:48 AM EDT
I saw somewhere on the board here on how to remove the blue/paint on the bolt and also how to fixed a canted front sight. I can't find it on the site now. I must be blind and looking right at it. Can someone point me to it?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:15:59 AM EDT
Should have said the bluing or black paint on the bolt. I havnt looked at it closely. Its a SAR-1.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:59:53 AM EDT
DOH, wrong site. I found the link

http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/chrome.htm

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 1:53:19 PM EDT by M4Madness]
Mr_Wilson, I believe that the instructions you gave are for an AR-15, not an AK-47.

Campbob's instructions for fixing a canted front sight are as follows. Note: instructions are for replacing the front sight. You will just need to re-align the front sight and re-drill holes to Campybob's specs.

"What exactly is involved in doing this project?

The ability to curse in three languages!

The hardest part of this job is driving out the two factory installed pins that locate the front sightbase casting. And this is not too bad, once you know the tricks.

The pins should be driven out from the left side of the rifle. Use a nail set to start the pins moving. This will require firm support on the opposite side of the rifle and a 12-16 oz. ball pein hammer to strike the nail set with.

Once the pins have been moved 1/32-1/16" with the nail set, switch to using a 3/32" (.093") drift punch to drive the pins all the way out.

The sightbase than then be pressed off with a hydraulic press or tapped off with a hammer and wood block.

Some guys choose to use a grinder or dremel tool to split the sightbase casting (scrapping it, which is no big deal since it has no resale value anyway). A cut off disc can be used to score both sides of the casting band and a chisel or hammer blows will finish off the removal.

The new sightbase is simply tapped or pressed into place, located to the vertical...and then drilled for new pins. I recommend going to 1/8" x 1/2" long hardened steel dowel pins for the new installation. These are .0068" bigger than the factory 3mm (.118") pins, and the re-drilling removes just enought material from the bbl. grooves to insure positive location of the new sightbase. The new holes should be drilled with a .120" (no. 31) drill bit, then opened up with a .125" (1/8") bit that has been spun against a stone to get it down to .124" diameter or so.

Really, it's not as difficult as it sounds. I would prefer a drill press for accurate drilling, but guys have used cordless drills with success."

Top Top