Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:04:42 PM EDT
Is there any reason (or law) why you can't stamp matching serial #'s  and markings from your parts kit on your flats before you bend? It would look good and wouldn't be that hard.
I guess just so long as the ATF dosen't think it's the origional FA reciever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
None whatsoever.

In fact, per ATF regulation (which, from a prior thread (don't have the link right now)), it's 100% legal to sell your home built firearm on a receiver you yourself built (or finished, in the case of an 80% receiver), and they want you to have a serial number stamped on it for identification purposes.

(Obviously, you need a license to be building/selling on a regular basis, but if you build something and a few months/years later you decide you don't want it anymore, it's completely legal to sell it off.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
you can stamp any number or lettering you want on them.........some folks even are putting dimples for the full auto position, and putting cyrllic marking on them..........just as long as you don't drill the sear hole, or slot out the rail for the auto sear, you should be OK.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Found the link.

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/legal/sellingbuilds.htm

Big ups to HC_Pookie who did the legwork on getting an answer from the ATF regarding this.

The answer is on page 2 of the letter - it's legal, just needs to be marked.

So, to answer your question, again, no, there's no law preventing you from stamping a serial number on your receiver.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
So if some day I went into a pawnshop or gun store and sold it (God forbid)
Would it make it more valuable?

I did see a Romey build at Sam's in Everette and it was the uggliest Ak I've ever seen
and they wanted $450.00 for it!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the Info
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It says it must be marked if you wish to transfer it
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top