Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 4:13:39 PM EDT
Local sporting goods store has a WASR rifle that looks a heck of a lot like an AK-47 varient.
Price is less than $200.

I bought a Mak-90 10 years ago for twice that,
and they are still selling for over $400.

Why the difference?

Aren't they all the same except for the wood?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:17:28 PM EDT
if its less tehn 200$ then its probably the single stack version, meaning it only takes 10rnd mags. this can be fixed with a dremel. check www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml for more info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:20:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:54:41 PM EDT
I just bought a mak-90 and was very impressed with the finish and smoother operation over my wasr. The trigger is worlds better than the wasr and is comparable to a tapco G2.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By krinkfreak:
I'd take the Chinese AK hands down.

+1 I wouldn't even have to think about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:58 PM EDT
MAK-90
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:46:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

+2

h/w, the converted WASRs run just find

but they have crappier finish and furniture-WTF? rommy beat by chicom??!!?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:

+2

Dude, the Romanian's are lucky that the Chinese can't export semi-auto AK's to the U.S. Otherwise you'd see brand new ChiCom underfolders at Walmart for $250 including a case of steel-core ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:

+2

Dude, the Romanian's are lucky that the Chinese can't export semi-auto AK's to the U.S. Otherwise you'd see brand new ChiCom underfolders at Walmart for $250 including a case of steel-core ammo.

Thought that was a two year ban and it was over? WTF? I thought we were about to see a flood of 1911s and AKs?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:43:50 PM EDT
MAK-90
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:02:01 PM EDT
from wat i uderstand the chinese ban was after 1994. so no more guns imported after 1994. tis why some dealers want a premium for MAKs.

Originally Posted By Mattl:
Thought that was a two year ban and it was over? WTF? I thought we were about to see a flood of 1911s and AKs?

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 8:30:57 PM EDT by clange]
Well, i went against the trend and sold a great looking MAK-90 then picked up a SAR-1. Why?

1) The SAR has an optics rail
2) The SAR is already in a pistol grip configuration, with US parts (namely the gas piston, which is hardest to sawp)
3) The SAR holds a cleaning rod
4) The SAR has a front sight block that can accept a detent pin (for threading the barrel and adding a slant brake)

The same applies to a WASR, as they are very close to a SAR.

Depending upon what you want your AK to be, a MAK-90 could be a very expensive way to go, but they are fine weapons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:55:20 PM EDT
When I bought my mak90 in 96 everyone was like oh thats chinese those norincos are cheap but I held on to her becuase I was young and she was mine now look shes almost at the top of the food chain......Go with the mak I have never had any problem with mine,
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:44:06 AM EDT
I have a MAK, but I wanted another.
I was thinking I could get the WASR and put the thumbhole stock on, and have the same thing.
Now I see that the WASR doesn't take the same magazines, so ... screw that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:30:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Reaper:
I was thinking I could get the WASR and put the thumbhole stock on, and have the same thing.

The WASR thumbhole is useful only as a placeholder for a real stock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ttman:
from wat i uderstand the chinese ban was after 1994. so no more guns imported after 1994. tis why some dealers want a premium for MAKs.

Originally Posted By Mattl:

No, chinese "ban" started in 89 and was "finalized" in 94.

MAK 90 has a better trigger, thicker receiver and is designed to take full cap mags. Only drawback is having to make it 922r compliant after purchase if you want a pistol grip, normal stock or muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 6:34:28 PM EDT by ttman]
i kid u not i have seen MAK90s try to sell for *GULP* $799.99, high end. most are selling them for $400-500. pick 'em up while u still can.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
As an FFL earlier in my life, I sold a shitload of MAK90's in the mid '90's. I condidered them to be cheap sheet metal concoctions from red chinese meant to take all of our american dollars. The Chinese never invented anything- just copied everybody else's inventions cheaply.

Now they're treasured posessions? The most I charged for them was $240 and the least was $190. Wish I could have all of those back now....

FWIW Bulgi stuff beats Chicom any day IMO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:24:56 PM EDT

Aren't they all the same except for the wood?

NO! The Chinese rifle is far superior to the Romanian.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:57:26 AM EDT
The Romys are a trunk (or back of pickup bed) gun. They look rough, feel rough (until you do some polishing). The FCG from Century sucks and I ened up replacing it (even after I tried polishing it up).

I droped my SAR1 on the concrete at a range one day, and could not tell any damage done to the weapon. My SAR1 is a beast, and it is great for abuse and I love it.

The MAK90's I have seen are much nicer and have much better triggers. They only physical issue I have seen on them is where someone ground off the bayonet lug and or welded on the FSB and it looked like crap. This is only with a very few. Fit and finish are much better. You can sometimes find ones with the under folder receiver cutouts blanked off.

My SAR 1 goes bang everytime and feeds wolf ammo like candy. It all depends on what you are after. A guy I know has a MAK90 and really loves it and he says it shoots great.

I would expect the MAK to be a more accurate shooter. You can always add the side scope mount.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:12:18 AM EDT
Bought My MAK90 in '93. Great bang for buck! Have added Tapco trigger group & black polymer stock, PG, & HG's. What an improvement! Plus it looks cooler now. Bump-Fire Heaven. (Hang on for dear life & lean into it!!!)
The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT

So the WASR don't take regular AK mag.?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:03:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tommy2399:

So the WASR don't take regular AK mag.?

If it's a single stack AK , it takes single stack mags and if it takes double stack mags , then they take double !!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:35:10 PM EDT
Okay... so where do I find another new MAK-90?

Or what do other people prefer, and where do you get them?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:08 PM EDT

Okay... so where do I find another new MAK-90?

Or what do other people prefer, and where do you get them?

Cruise pawnshops and M&P G-shops who sell evil guns cheap because they are just evil. If you are real lucky you will find an early Mak 90 with a threaded muzzle and cleaning rod.
Top Top