Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/9/2003 8:32:53 AM EDT
I just got back from the gun show. I went to get an "AK" but got a little overwhelmed with the millions of variations and models. I am looking at the $400 price range, so that is definitely going to be a post-ban. The three models I came across are the:
Norinco MAK-90 for $435
Romanian AK-47 for $350
American made MAK-90 manufactured by ITM for $380

The Norinco and the ITM looked like they were in the best condition. Do these prices look fair? Should I stay away from a particular manufacturer?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mak 90 price is a little too high.  I usually see them for $350-$375 and NIB for $400.

The Romanian Sar is about right in price.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The Mac 90 on an ITM(OOW) is a kit build. Depends on who built it whether it is priced right. You can get the kits for around $99. The receivers are are $65 or so.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for all the feedback. I was sceptical on the ITM because the guy that was selling (private sale) said it was a preba which I highly doubt for the $380 price. It did look nice. Had a good finish and dragunov stock. I think I am going to go back tomorrow and get the Norinco MAK90.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an MAK-90 which I traded in for an SAR-1. I did it for looks - no hassle way to get the pistol grip stock. The MAK was finished nicer, had a better (double-hook) trigger, thicker metal, etc. The wood wasn't all that great. In the end though, I really *wanted* the pistol grip stock, and I don't regret it one minute. It's hard to beat the SAR-1(2,3) for value, *if* you're not expecting build quality on par with AR's. The SAR's are reliable shooters and I expect no problems from mine for a long time to come. Due to the wide availability of these rifles, there's also a wealth of knowledge out there as well as spare parts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#5]
There are no preban ITM receivers.

Mikew
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top