Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
I was playing with a friends WASR-10 and found mag changes to be very clumsy.  Is there a trick or does it just come with practice?  I've never owned an AK variant so I have no clue.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Release the catch and slap it forward from underneath, and have mags clamped/taped in opposite directions so all you have to do is rotate your wrist.  This is the fastest way I have seen it done.  With one hand it is as fast as I have seen it work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Takes a little practice. Its a lot different than an AR where you push a button and the mag just pops out. And with no bolt hold open it does take more time. But with practice and AK mag change can be done swiftly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Also make sure the mag well is cut away correctly......they were made for single stack mags and then the mag wells were opened here to use hi cap mags. make sure no big burrs or uneven grinds on the sides and back of the well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems easier to change magazines with my right hand than my left hand (I'm ambidextrous so theoretically it shouldn't make a difference).

Sometimes my AK has trouble loading a magazine. Half the time it slaps into place perfectly. The other half it seems that the front of the mag is too far into the well because the back just hits the edge of the mag well. Is this a flaw with the expanded WASR-10 mag well or am I just not used to inserting a magazine yet?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not always the magwell. Most of my steelmags had issues with both my AKs. The all required some filing of the mag catches on the magazines. All now go in smooth one handed with a definitive "click".
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm a right hander, so with my left i grab the mag and hit the release with my thumb as i rock the mag out of the well.  if the chamber is empty i tilt the gun so the charging handle is up and i can operate it with my left.
seems to work the best for me so i'm always supporting the rifle with my strong hand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I grab the magazine with my left hand, using the meaty base of my thumb to depress the mag-release. I then rock the magazine out and drop it, or put it in a pocket. Then load as usual. The slowest part of it is racking the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey thanks for the help.  I was actually referring more to inserting the mag being slow.  I actually went out and bought one on impulse and it functions 100% so far (about 250rnds).  I have already mag changes down pretty good.  I do have a few newbie questions though... I asked them in a new post....  Thanks again guys...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been practicing but it still seems like it takes an eternity compared to the AR.  I love my Arsenal, but I've come to realize that the AR has a huge advantage over the AK when it comes to ergonomics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Magazine changes are a little slower than an AR.

Remember one thing when handling an AK-it is not an AR!!

If you use a lot of ARs it is difficult because the AR was designed to be used to both hands to be put into action. An AK is primarily designed for right shouldered use. Left hand secures the weapon, right hand sweeps forward, simultaneously depressing the the mag. catch lever and sweeping the magazine forward and out. Then reaching down to your RIGHT side (where the mag bag was kept if you were a Warsaw Pact soldier) withdrawing a magazine and then up and rock back till it locks then immediatly retracting the bolt and letting it slam home (assuming that you have a mag. bag on your waist). Your movement is somewhat like a right angle triangle.

For a Chest rig or left side mag. bag it becomes more difficult. Because you have to do it like an AR then. It gets difficult to do until you run a few dry mag change drills and find out what works for you. Your movements here are more circular-with the hardest part being retracting the bolt. So cant the weapon to the left with the the stock braced against your shoulder after you have seated the magazine. And sweep the bolt carrier back with your left hand (I hook my thumb and try to catch the handle  above my knuckle of my pointer finger).

See if that works for you
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is the best technique I found.

With your left hand do a "thumbs up"

Your thumb will push on the lever while your fist will push on the part of the magazine facing you. This one motion will both actuate the lever and rock the mag out for you. When the technique is done with a bit of force it throws the mag out very quickly. Grab another mag, rock it in, roll the rifle over and charge the weapon with your left hand.

The end.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, great info guys, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Magazine changes are a little slower than an AR.

Remember one thing when handling an AK-it is not an AR!!

If you use a lot of ARs it is difficult because the AR was designed to be used to both hands to be put into action. An AK is primarily designed for right shouldered use. Left hand secures the weapon, right hand sweeps forward, simultaneously depressing the the mag. catch lever and sweeping the magazine forward and out. Then reaching down to your RIGHT side (where the mag bag was kept if you were a Warsaw Pact soldier) withdrawing a magazine and then up and rock back till it locks then immediatly retracting the bolt and letting it slam home (assuming that you have a mag. bag on your waist). Your movement is somewhat like a right angle triangle.

For a Chest rig or left side mag. bag it becomes more difficult. Because you have to do it like an AR then. It gets difficult to do until you run a few dry mag change drills and find out what works for you. Your movements here are more circular-with the hardest part being retracting the bolt. So cant the weapon to the left with the the stock braced against your shoulder after you have seated the magazine. And sweep the bolt carrier back with your left hand (I hook my thumb and try to catch the handle  above my knuckle of my pointer finger).

See if that works for you

And Bingo was his namo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Takes pratice, some AKs seem easier then others
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Try the mag release extender from RED STAR ARMS.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#17]

roll the rifle over and charge the weapon with your left hand.

Well I wouldn't have though of that.  I'll have to try that.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
You can change an AK's mag almost as fast as an AR's mag if you practice.

You keep your right hand on the grip and release the mag with the tip of your middle finger of that hand while slightly depressing the muzzle. The mag will fall out by itself 99% of the time. With your left hand holding the reload towards the base of the mag with the bullets facing to your right, hold the mag almost parallel with the barrel and slip the front of the mag into the well and rock it home. Now reach under the rifle with your palm flat against the receiver, fingers back and thumb up and cycle the charging handle with your thumb. I always work the bolt this way, even if I'm just doing a tactical reload, that way the rifle is ALWAYS loaded when I'm done.

One thing you need to watch out for if you load using your right hand and holding the rifle with your left. I know this is the way the Russian soldiers were taught to load, but it also can induce a malfunction that will totally tie the gun up and you wont be able to get the mag out without a lot of work and the gun will not fire or strip a round from the now locked up mag. What happens is, the detent or catch on the front of the mag does not catch the front of the well and when you rock the mag in, it locks at the rear, like it should. The problem is, the mag is not seated, and the catch will now NOT release the mag. Its not a fun malfunction and the best way I know to get the mag out is to put the butt of the rifle on the ground and kick down on the bottom front of the mag to get it out.  

For some reason, this is a malfunction that is prone to happen when loading using the right hand.(if your right handed) I always used my left as described at the top and never had this happen. After I was told about the lock up problem, I had it happen while trying to see if it would. It wasnt much fun after that. I have yet to ever have it happen while using my left hand to do the mag change. While it may never happen to you, you should at least be aware that it can and what to expect from it. With some of the WASR's having mag wells with differing sizes, it may happen easier if the well is a little sloppy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You can change an AK's mag almost as fast as an AR's mag if you practice.

You keep your right hand on the grip and release the mag with the tip of your middle finger of that hand while slightly depressing the muzzle. The mag will fall out by itself 99% of the time. With your left hand holding the reload towards the base of the mag with the bullets facing to your right, hold the mag almost parallel with the barrel and slip the front of the mag into the well and rock it home. Now reach under the rifle with your palm flat against the receiver, fingers back and thumb up and cycle the charging handle with your thumb. I always work the bolt this way, even if I'm just doing a tactical reload, that way the rifle is ALWAYS loaded when I'm done.

One thing you need to watch out for if you load using your right hand and holding the rifle with your left. I know this is the way the Russian soldiers were taught to load, but it also can induce a malfunction that will totally tie the gun up and you wont be able to get the mag out without a lot of work and the gun will not fire or strip a round from the now locked up mag. What happens is, the detent or catch on the front of the mag does not catch the front of the well and when you rock the mag in, it locks at the rear, like it should. The problem is, the mag is not seated, and the catch will now NOT release the mag. Its not a fun malfunction and the best way I know to get the mag out is to put the butt of the rifle on the ground and kick down on the bottom front of the mag to get it out.  

For some reason, this is a malfunction that is prone to happen when loading using the right hand.(if your right handed) I always used my left as described at the top and never had this happen. After I was told about the lock up problem, I had it happen while trying to see if it would. It wasnt much fun after that. I have yet to ever have it happen while using my left hand to do the mag change. While it may never happen to you, you should at least be aware that it can and what to expect from it. With some of the WASR's having mag wells with differing sizes, it may happen easier if the well is a little sloppy.

If this works it would be great, I having trouble with some of it though; you cock with the right hand with your thumb (thumb in the position of hitchhicking)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Hands down an AR is the fastest mag change facilitated by the bolt hold open.If you look at the nature of a reload from first knowing you need a mag change to changing it an AR is faster if for nothing else but not knowing your AK is empty until the hammer falls on an empty chamber.On an AR you feel the carrier hang back when its empty.I can reload my ak pretty fast as its just like an M14 push up to the front with the mag,rock back this with my left then I turn the rifle to its right side and charge it with my left hand.Not rtying to start a war but as a mostly AR owner Ill concede the AK works longer dirty..AR defiantely more maintenence but AR faster mag change hands down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#21]

If this works it would be great, I having trouble with some of it though; you cock with the right hand with your thumb (thumb in the position of hitchhicking)

No, I use my left hand. With the rifle basically just in my shoulder or tucked under my arm, I reach under the gun, and with my palm flat on the receiver, fingers towards the rear and my thumb up, hook the charging handle and cycle the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The following AK techniques got me through a tactical rifle class.  Was able to keep up with my AR using classmates.   Didn't invented any of these techniques, but looked around, tried them out, and keep what worked for me.  In particular Paul Gomez the gtg for the AK, and his explainations are clearer than mine.ht
Safety on/off:
With right thumb around grip, flip safety on/off with right middle finger. Helps to have the other finger out, and do it in a waving guesture.  Also helps to break in the safety

Bolt manipulation:
With rifle on shoulder or brought up for reloading(butt down, muzzle up), first rotate slightly counter-clockwise, then bring left hand over the top, and manipulate bolt with palm of your hand or pinky.  Did I mention to wear gloves?hHold it in your left hand, grasping around the base of the left side of the fresh mag, bring up it with bullets foward.  Place it parallel to the used mag, with you thumb at the height of the magazine catch.  The fresh mag should be a couple of inchs higher than the used mag.  Grasp both mags with your left hand, while at the same time depressing the mag catch with your thumb.  Rock the magazines together out, then move the fresh mag over, and rock it in place, then retain the used magazine.

Speed and emergency reload (reloading from empty, or topping off with immediate threat):
Can be done as tactical, but dropping the used mag after rocking it out or instead, when bring the fresh mag up, rotate it horizontal, and in one swing, depress the magazine latch and knock out the used mag with the forward edge of the magazine body.  The bring the fresh mag back and rock it in place.

But it is all about what works for you and practice.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1 this works great!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 this works great!

An AK mag change is about 25% - 50% slower than an AR mag change.  This has been my experience at 3-gun and "tactical" matches.  (Same goes for FALs.)

Get an RSA tactical mag release.  When you need to change mags, you can keep the rifle in firing position, hit the mag release with your right index finger, while bringing up a fresh mag with your left hand.  If the spent mag released, but didn't drop out, you can sweep the back side of the spent mag with the fresh one, causing the spent mag to fall out.  Put the front of the new mag in, rotate back, lock it in, rack the bolt handle with your left hand and your ready to go.

If you thinking about getting the RSA mag release, also consider getting one of the RSA adjustable triggers.  Mine has a clean 3.5 lb single stage release and NO TRIGGER SLAP!  Next either buy a notched safety lever or do it your self.  Now, you have a "manual" bolt hold open.  Finally, either get a Bulgarian windage adjustable rear sight or the micro click RSA model.

Now, with all of these add ons the AK is much more enjoyable to shoot.  Mine has been super dependable and has never failed to go bang and get the rounds in the "neighborhood" of where I was aiming.  But, you're shooting an AK, a rifle not known for accuracy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top