Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:47 PM EDT
I recently picked up an SSR-85-C2.  Let me first tell you that the shepards crook was installed upside down so that it would not hold the hammer pin in.  Not a big deal but not encouraging to get a new rifle only to have to fix part of it right away.  I ordered a Red Star arms shephards crook replacemnt plate and popped it in the rifle.  I have not had the chance to fire it with the plate in yet but I was wondering if anyone has any thing to say about these plates?  I would hate to see my hammer dislodge while firing.  

My second question is regarding the mag catch axis pin.  Mine is loose to the point that I can push it out with enough force.  I would rather not send the rifle back but was hoping for advice on whether I can crush the pins head enough to stop it from coming out or if there is another solution.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dont get me wrong, the SSR-85-C2 seems to be very nice, except for these strange problems...hopefully it was just bad luck?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The plate should hold them fine, assuming the pins are in the proper locations. Do a quick test and give the pins a light whack with a punch. I was trying to get a pin out of my 74 and the plate was down just enough to catch part of the pin. It doesnt take much and that pin isnt coming out.

As far as the mag catch, you can probably crush it a bit, or peen it out a little. Thats how it looks like its installed anyway.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I tried to fix the magazine catch axis pin and the metal was a little harder than I anticipated.  What should I use to peen it out?  Some sort of punch?  It does not seem like I can just mushroom the ends of it out with a hammer.  Thanks for any help.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top