Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2003 7:32:40 PM EDT
Maadi pre-ban 000XX two digit serial no,bayo lug ,threaded barrel ,with some kind of angular blast thing on barrel.

Guy at gun show wanted 599,I traded him a Tauras pt-92 satin-stainless,with rose wood grips,and two 15 rnd nickle plated factory mags(I had them plated)and 100.00 bucks!

So I have 450.00 in it,thats about right wouldn't you think?

My daughter is in Iraq and said she is sending an AK bayo to her husband(whom I sold a SAR)  Ha HA it won't fit his ,but just might fit mine!

Course I will have to trade him the 17 rnd Metgar mag (that I held back on the trade) for his pt-92 ,for the bayo!

Good trade or not?

Bob

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hate to say it, but it sounds like a Post Ban in preban clothes. The NO bayo lug bothers me more than any thing else. What are the importer stamps?

Thats low serial no,bayo lug,no as in #  ,yes with bayo lug!

Did look kind of funny the way I posted it!  Ribbed crumb cover and all match nunberwise that is the wood is another thing!

A friend told me that the Maadi aks were the worst of the imports,I say no way as this one looks like it was brought here in the early days and taken care of!

And it was brought in by CIA,and thats the only thing I ever want to see on any of my rifles(imported by)!

What would MISR S/A mean under the rear sight?

I've been screwed before at gun shows,and it wouldn't supprise me if I got screwed again,and under the MISR S/A  it says AK M  .

Oh well its really a tight well made rifle(much more than my SAR-1 I used to own!

I'm happy just wanted to know If any of you guys in the know could tell me more about the Pre-ban Maadi!

Thanks    Bob
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The pre-ban Maddi was imported by Steyr.  Steyr was also the ONLY importer of pre-ban Maddis.  All others, like Century International (CIA), are post-ban.  

The Steyr imports were very well fitted and finished for a Maddi.  For quite some time they were the only AKs in the country.  They came with a brownish pistol grip instead of the black one on later guns.

Your gun is a post-ban Maddi MISR, imported by Century.  All MISR's are post-ban. Your serial number is only two-digit, but they don't run in sequence with the other importer's guns.  They only run in sequence for MISR's.  The Pre-ban Maddis have completely different numbers, as will the other post-bans from Pars, or ACC/intrac.  Each importer technically brings in a different rifle beacuse they are named different and the serial number sequence pretains to that model.  On Maddi's the serial number means nothing about pre-or post.  The only thing that matters is importer.  Styer was the only importer of pre-bans, and Century only imported post-bans.

As far as the rifle goes, it's a great AK IMO.  I've owned three over the years, and they work fine and generally don't have odd things like canted sights, etc. that plauge some SAR-1's.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The pre-ban Maddi was imported by Steyr.  Steyr was also the ONLY importer of pre-ban Maddis.  All others, like Century International (CIA), are post-ban.  

The Steyr imports were very well fitted and finished for a Maddi.  For quite some time they were the only AKs in the country.  They came with a brownish pistol grip instead of the black one on later guns.

Your gun is a post-ban Maddi MISR, imported by Century.  All MISR's are post-ban. Your serial number is only two-digit, but they don't run in sequence with the other importer's guns.  They only run in sequence for MISR's.  The Pre-ban Maddis have completely different numbers, as will the other post-bans from Pars, or ACC/intrac.  Each importer technically brings in a different rifle beacuse they are named different and the serial number sequence pretains to that model.  On Maddi's the serial number means nothing about pre-or post.  The only thing that matters is importer.  Styer was the only importer of pre-bans, and Century only imported post-bans.

As far as the rifle goes, it's a great AK IMO.  I've owned three over the years, and they work fine and generally don't have odd things like canted sights, etc. that plauge some SAR-1's.  

Ross

If what you say is the real skinny,then its not a good AK at all!      It would mean I have a post-ban with a Bayo-lug ,and a threaded barrel!!!

I have the card of the dupe that sold me this (private sale piece of crap)  guess I will check around before decending apon him with the hounds of hell!

I saw one on gunsamerica.com just like it same discription MISR S/A  ,Pre-ban maadi CM 000xxxx!
AKM

Thanks for the leg up ,so to speak!

Bob
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ross I saw another pre-ban maadi advertised on Gunsamerica,dixiegun works!    They claimed it was a transitional pre-ban,with partial bayou lug and removable barrel cap!

So I went to AK Pre-ban forum and they say what you did that Steyr Daimler Puch was the only real importer of good Maadi pre-bans!

So this gun person(actually he sells reloads copper eagle defender) but always has guns to sell also!    Should have known something was up when he tried to sell me a R1a1 on a Hess receiver(telling me how good they were)

The pt-92 I traded him is registered to me,and my son-in-law saw me give him the 100.00 cash to put it under the table till I could rush home and bring back my pistol!

My son -in-law witnessed the whole transaction(except me handing over my Satin stainless Pt-92) for this piece of crap maadi!

What should I do contact the man(have his handwritten piece of paper needed to get out the door and his personal business card with his company name ,phone,address !)

I will not have an illegal weapon in my house,I doubt that he has an FFL,but how would you handle this if you were in my shoes! (other than not be such a dumbass again)!

Any replies appreciated     Bob  

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this looks like a cluster-fuck ,but I would also like to ask you guys if instead of just posting Maadi ser# oooxx,if I had posted Maadi ser# CM oooxx would that have made a difference?

Would this had been a transitional gun .ect?

I feel really dirty about now,and I'm resolved to get to the bottom of all this!  I don't like getting screwed with out a kiss!

I'm feeling that when the seller said quote(you're getting a hell of a deal,don't forget me now!)  That maybe I'll not forget him now!

Me-thinks he is the reason the private sales shit has led to so many reasons the people protest,he sold to me without any reservations of nationality,or possibly about legality of sale!

Please tell me I'm wrong!

Bob (about to get shit started)  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]
First of all, you really didn't get screwed that much.  The actual trade-in value of a PT-92 is about $250.  Add the $100 and maybe $50 for the hi-caps and stainless.  You paid about $400 for a $350-400 rifle, so you didn't really get ripped off.  If you were buying a real pre-ban Maddi, you would have been handing over $1000 or more.

Second, there is no such thing as a transitional gun.  That's just a BS line invented to sell post-bans as pre-bans.  Any gun caught in customs had to meet the post-ban requirements before it was let out of bond.  The actual date it was released from bond is the date the item legally entered the country.  Just because it was in a bonded wharehouse before the ban doesn't mean jack.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TRANSITIONAL PRE/POST-BAN.  It's either a pre-ban, having been in pre-ban configuration on the date the AW ban went into effect or it's post-ban, having been in a post-ban configuration on or after that date.  "caught in customs" doesn't hack it.  It's the date that it was RELEASED from customs that matters.

There are transition guns, in that they show the transition from pre to post.  They were caught in customs, modified to post-ban standards by the importer, then released for sale.  They are all post-ban.  A great example of this is the Chinese AK underfolder with a thumbhole on it as well.  Certainly many have taken the thunbhole off and sold them as pre-ban's or "transitionals" but they are 100% post-ban.  It's like being pregnant.  It either is or it isn't.

Third, many seller toss around the term "pre-ban" pretty freely.  There are a number of bans, and your Maddi is pre-94 ban.  The problem is your Maddi is Post-89 ban.  The 89 ban is the one that regulates imports, which your Maddi is.  Many sellers have resorted to using pre-ban as a sales gimmick.  There is a ban on Norincos, so magically ALL Norincos become "pre-ban" even though many are post-89 ban (the one that counts).  Many sellers also use "pre-ban" to mean it has pre-ban features, even if they aren't legal.  When the SARs first came out (a definate post-ban gun) they were advertised in Shotgun News as "Pre-ban type" because they had a pistol grip.  Most sellers are actually very ignorant of the laws.  It could be very likely that he thought it was pre-ban, because that was the story handed to him.  You thought it was pre-ban, didn't you?  In the end, buy the gun...not the story.  Know what you're buying, and disregard any stories.  Everything has a story to sell it.

Lastly, what you do with it is up to you, of course.  But you really didn't overpay for the gun, and they ARE good AKs.  Making this one legal would be just as easy as any of the other AKs.  The advantage is you can "have it your way" like Burger King.  It sucks to be sold a bill of goods, there is no doubt, but turn this around to your advantage.  Rather than get frustrated, think of it as a way to have the AK exactly the way you want.  

The Maddi AK is the closest AK to the actual Soviet AKM.  The Russians set-up the factory and did all the technical advising.  You can make this a shit-hot AK.  Getting it legal is dead simple.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for replying Ross,I have a preban Polyteck that was made in 82,but was caught in customs and had its bayou lug ground off,and its threaded barrell ground off,the hole in the upper grip was weided shut so you coudn't even put a cleaning rod in it and they put a thumb-hole stock on it(I love it as it is)!

This Maadi is really very great in all ways tight fitting matching numbers(wood all mismatched but thats par)!  But what bothers me it has a threaded barrel with the little push pin that alloys you to reverse thread off the muzzel angular blast deflector!

But what bothers me is that the bayo lug is intact.and these things would make it a no.no!

What happens when I am at the range and I have to tell the ATF guy that it's no problem as this is a preban!

And he tells me it's not!  Bam going to jail!

Are you saying I should just cut my shit and grind off the threaded barrel,and nueuter the bayo lug as well?

So it will be just like my 1982 Poly-tech post=ban?

And buy the way the pre-ban Pt-92 satin stainless retailed for 650.00!

Go to tauras .com even today and look it up!

But like you said if I thought it would be legal,I would gladly trade a 9mm pistol for any kind of AK variant!

I traded a High Standard duramatic 1960's pistol shot about eight times (virtually new) and 135.00 for a new in box walther P1 P-38 made and test fired in 1995!

I knew what I was giving and what I was getting!

This time I was lied to right from the start!  

If it is allright to have a post-ban with a bayo-lug,and a threaded barrel then I will throw in with you all in saying I'm confused!

And I know bottom line is if it is too good to be true,Blah,Blah ,Blah!

Oh well thanks again Ross for your candor,and knowledge!

I'll sleep on it!

Bob
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Ross and Rotdorn for your professional and quick replys!  Why in gods name did the factory decide on the black paint finnish?

Even the bolt carrier,should I leave it as such?

Had a Russian SKS that had the same hidious treatment!

Thanks again guys   Bob
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
The black finish is cheap, durable, and fast/simple to apply.  Pretty much sums up an AKM.  Unless it's all scratched up, I'd leave the finish the way it is.  The thing to do is take care of the important stuff first, then change cosmetics.  

The actual changeover to legal configuration can be as cheap or expensive as you want.  The path Rotdorn outlined is tried and true.  If you're strapped for money or time, you could just put a thumbhole on it, grind off the lug, and tack the blast defelctor in place.  You can get a thumbhole for dirt cheap.  I would go with the US parts personally, as I think a Maddi set-up correctly would be a pretty nice gun.

As for your PT-92.  Yes, Taurus MSRP is $650.  But that's MSRP for a brand new unfired gun.  That's not what you had.  You had a used gun.  The MSRP isn't what Tauri go for either.  Just check the various gun auction sites.  A brand new, never fired PT-92 stainless goes for $379.00.  They also don't hold their value well.  As your's was a used gun, it was worth $250 all day long as a trade.  Sounds brutal, but that's just the way it is.  

Back to your AK, many of the MISR were sold as bare receivers.  Your's may have started life as one, and someone built it up out of parts.  That would explain the bayo lug etc.  

If you like the gun, there's no reason not to keep it.  You didn't get badly abused in the price, and you didn't wind up with anything most people wind up with when they buy a Maddi.  They are a good gun.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The black finish is cheap, durable, and fast/simple to apply.  Pretty much sums up an AKM.  Unless it's all scratched up, I'd leave the finish the way it is.  The thing to do is take care of the important stuff first, then change cosmetics.  

The actual changeover to legal configuration can be as cheap or expensive as you want.  The path Rotdorn outlined is tried and true.  If you're strapped for money or time, you could just put a thumbhole on it, grind off the lug, and tack the blast defelctor in place.  You can get a thumbhole for dirt cheap.  I would go with the US parts personally, as I think a Maddi set-up correctly would be a pretty nice gun.

As for your PT-92.  Yes, Taurus MSRP is $650.  But that's MSRP for a brand new unfired gun.  That's not what you had.  You had a used gun.  The MSRP isn't what Tauri go for either.  Just check the various gun auction sites.  A brand new, never fired PT-92 stainless goes for $379.00.  They also don't hold their value well.  As your's was a used gun, it was worth $250 all day long as a trade.  Sounds brutal, but that's just the way it is.  

Back to your AK, many of the MISR were sold as bare receivers.  Your's may have started life as one, and someone built it up out of parts.  That would explain the bayo lug etc.  

If you like the gun, there's no reason not to keep it.  You didn't get badly abused in the price, and you didn't wind up with anything most people wind up with when they buy a Maddi.  They are a good gun.

Ross

10 4 on taking care of the important things first(tig weilder comming up monday) the rest is a shoe in as the thumbhole has been replaced,amd the trigger group is ok!

Thanks guys   Bob
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep a Choate thumbhole around for just such events.  

The same thing's happened to me.  I bought a supposed pre-ban Norinco .223 off the net that turned out to be a MAK-90 post-ban.  I overpaid about $100, but I liked the gun so much, I didn't mind being taken in the end.  The week after I made a killling on a pre-ban 84s (same basic gun) that more than made up for it.  It was a strange deal in that a bunch of mags were involved, and that's where the dough is on the Norinco .223's.  In the end I sold the pre-ban and have very little in the MAK-90 and mags.  At least that's the way I choose to look at it as opposed to getting ripped off .  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes I understand where you are comming from,I bought a Thompson 54 Cal renegade for 80.00 sold it for 200.00!  Still a bargin!

Win some lose some,I'm tack weiding this blast brake in place!  It's truly a great AK,fit and finish!

It's got the required number of peices to make it just right!

Thanks Guys   Bob
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Maadi RPM 20" barrel made in 94 that will shoot a hole n hole at 100 yrds. I wouldn't  take a preban for it. It shoots that good. You don't find many AK's with that kind of accuracy.  Maadi's are good dependable weapons. Keep what you got and learn to shoot it... Thetodd
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top