Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/4/2012 3:35:03 PM EDT
Been bubba'd a bit, but nothing that can't be fixed. What year is it? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe MAK 90s that were manufactured after the ban have the year it was made as the first two digits  of the serial number. Since yours is a very low serial number it leads me to believe it was one of the one that was caught in transition and can be assumed it is definitely pre 89 manufactured
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Any idea on value?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I would prob think it is worth ~$600-700 but, with the modified stock, It's close to being out of ban-compliance.   IMHO, I'd get an Ironwood Designs stock set on the rifle, add a Tapco G2 FCG and call it good. The muzzle device and shorty cleaning rod just clutter up the gun but, the Chinese shorty mag and sling are good accesories.

If it had a nice stock set on there, I would think it's worth closer to $800-900
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Only stamped guns were "caught in customs". I have that same gun. The marks on the left side of the receiver above the pistol grip was where the original importer was marked, & then rubbed out. The gun is literally a post ban Poly Legend. Probably has the spring loaded firing pin. Mine in mint shape cost me $560 from a dealer a year ago. I'd leave your gun just as it is. But your photo answers a question I've had for a while. Look what a talented person can do to a thumbhole buttstock. If you decide to use a regular pistol grip, & buttstock, I'd be interested in buying that buttstock for my gun.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
It does have the spring loaded firing pin. And I appreciate your offer on the stock, but I kinda like it.  It's a hairline crack that needs to be repaired anyway. I think I'll strip the paint off all the wood and refinish them.  FWIW, I have less than $500 in this piece.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the milled MAKs were imported in 1993. But, as i said, i cant confirm that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy I bought it from got it in 1993. He told me that he had to go pick it up by boat in the 1993 Iowa floods.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd possibly be interesting in the stock as well, assuming you want to change it and the other guy doesn't take it  (if you do, PM would be easier to contact me).  

I'd say it looks dang purty the way it is.....
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the milled MAKs were imported in 1993. But, as i said, i cant confirm that.

Yep, only one year for milled MAKs- '93.

$500-700 would be a pretty easy sale around here. Maybe more, but not without dropping a few bucks on it. Finding and fitting the correct stock can be a booger because of the missing lower stock tang (ground off for thumb hole abortion). Sometimes you can get lucky and have a nice tight, solid stock. More times than not though, you get loose fitting and wobbly.  

One plus, they require one less compliance part.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I don't get it. If this is from 1993 isn't it preban?  Can it not have preban features on it?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#11]
It's post ban all mak 90s are post ban. 1989 and before are pre ban.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, I don't get it. If this is from 1993 isn't it preban?  Can it not have preban features on it?

I believe you are confusing the '94 assault weapons ban, with the '89 import ban of assault rifles...

Two different critters.

It can have "evil" features added back, but in 1993 it could not be imported with then. Adding them requires 922(r) compliance because you are "manufacturing" an assault weapon, from a weapon that was imported as a "sporting rifle". Assault weapons need a minimum number of US manufactured parts...

Its almost as clear as mud ain't it!

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, only one year for milled MAKs- '93.

I've seen milled MAKs with serial numbers starting with "93" and "92"; would the '92 SN rifle just be an early '93 import?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread is about to make me take my milled MAK-90 out of the safe for a gander at the serial number.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top