Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:30:43 PM EDT
Hello All, Sorry my first post has to be a question. I have a Mak-90 kit that I finally have time and $$ to build but I can't seem to find the right AK receiver. It had a stamped, fixed stock, straight cut receiver and I just want to make sure I get the best comparable replacement. And if any one has done a Mak kit build where is the best place to get 922 parts that actually fit. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank You.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Was this an assembled MAK that was demilled? Does it have the front trunnion? Most MAK kits didn't have trunnions and they are almost impossible to get. I built two from kits and bought two of the last three Chinese trunnions from Global Trades back in 2006.

The Chinese used a thicker receiver than most others. So the trunnions are going to be slightly narrower. IIRC, the difference was 1mm vs. 1.5 on the Chinese.

Haven't been keeping up with who makes receivers in that thickness. Armory used to. Elk River Tool and Die makes a 1.6mm. Other than flats or blanks, Firing Line makes milled chinese type receivers.

922r compliance can be had with receiver, FCG (3 parts), gas piston, muzzle device or furniture. Ironwood Desgns makes Chinese pattern furniture for compliance.  

Links that may help:
Elk River
Ironwood Designs

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
jbd3, Thank you for the info.

Yes it has a front trunion & yes it was an assembled Mak Kit. Shortly after I bought the gun CA decided to ban the Mak-90 by name. (I guess the name sounds evil) As soon as I found out I now had an illegal weapon I had to dispose of the receiver per the new laws.

I will measure the front trunion and see how narrow it is. Hopefully this will not turn out to be a nightmare of a first AK build.

Maybe I am better off selling the Mak Kit and starting on something a little more interchangeable.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The trunnion is the key with Chinese kits. You have parts that were already assembled as a functioning rifle. Plus you already own it. I'd say you have a pretty good start. OTOH, some guys will pay more for a Chinese kit.

Are you wanting to build from a receiver blank or 100% receiver? Do you have anyone local who may be able to help if you run into a problem during the build?

The only receiver blanks I can think of right now in the thicker version is from coldsteel. They have been known to take their time processing and shipping orders. http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/csi,_inc_003.htm

Maybe someone else could chime in on availability of receivers???

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
jdb3, Thanks again for even more help.

I am wanting to build from a 100% receiver. I really don't want to buy a bunch of tooling and jigs that I wont use again.

I guess it is taking the easy way out but if I can just get 922 compliant furniture, trigger group, rivet set and the finished receiver i'll basically just do assembly. My boss builds experimental aircraft so I have access to all the rivet tools to buck it together.

I don't know if my plans are reality but I sure hope they are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The only receiver that I can think of would be the Elk River. There may be others, but that's the only one I know. The site says they have very limited quantities of those and don't plan on making more.

The other option is the cold steel blank. It's already bent to shape but has no holes drilled or rails welded in.

The receiver and FCG are good for four 922r parts. You need two more. Muzzle device, pistol grip, gas piston, stock or hand guard are options. Ironwood has pistol grips and handguards if you don't want to change the piston or can't have a muzzle device (Don't know Ca. laws).
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again jdb3,

I talked with Hector at Elkriver and they do have stock on the 1.6mm receiver. I can get it I just have to sent it through a middleman (the whole no ship to Ca thing) Thanks to Adam at Freakshow I will be able to build this thing.

For my 922 stuff I will change my FCG, pistol grip, stock, and handguard. I just don't know if I will go with some nice looking wood or go the Tapco plastic route to lighten it up.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Your rifle, your choice, I've always liked the Chinese wood. Mostly the light blonde color. The Tapco stuff is probably cheaper. If you already have the handguards, I'd just buy a stock and pistol grip. If you don't have/use a muzzle device you can drop one part from the list.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top