Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I did a search for this and nothing came up but this may have been discussed before so forgive me.  I don't step over to the dark side of the site too often.

I was hoping someone could tell me if a convertion kit exists to install an AK pistol grip and stock on a MAK-90.  If so where would I buy one? Will there be gunsmithing involved?  Is this even legal?  Thanks a lot!

EDIT** spelling error
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do it if the final result is a rifle with no more than 10 foreign parts.

I did it with one of those black synthetic stock, foregrip, pistol grip kits.  It said that it would fit the Mak90, but didn't exactly fit on my first try.  I had to sand the plastic down to make the stock fit, but eventually it did. Looks fine now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried to edit the last post, but my connection is screwy.  You'll need a pistol grip screw too. It's longer than the one on your current thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Mak 90 conversion to Pistol Grip.  No MOre than 10 foreign parts sooooo......

Mak 90 WITHOUT a muzzel brake or Flash Hider has 15 parts.

Change out stock for US MADE pistol grip (1 part)
and US MADE butt Stock (1) part

Change out the Fire Control Group - Hammer, Sear/disconector, trigger  with a MADE IN USA FCG (3 parts)

Waalaaaa, A US compliant Mak 90 that has the "evil looking"  pistol grip
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What about the "AWB-era" MAK90s that have a metal panel where the buttstock would normally go?  Can anything be done with those?

I have a couple of those collecting dust in a safe - too many other "evil" AKs to play with.  They used to do "trunk duty" but have been replaced for that role.  The synthetic t-hole stocks are a big improvement (to my freakishly small hands, anyway ) over the original wood, but I'd rather make them less "PC" if it isn't cost-prohibitive...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can do it if the final result is a rifle with no more than 10 foreign parts.

I did it with one of those black synthetic stock, foregrip, pistol grip kits.  It said that it would fit the Mak90, but didn't exactly fit on my first try.  I had to sand the plastic down to make the stock fit, but eventually it did. Looks fine now.

Thanks for the replies guys.

This weapon is one of two that my father bought before the ban (not sure why he didn't just buy some AK's) that I want to convert.  So if this weapon isn't an AWB MAK, standard AK furniture should fit (with a little sanding)?

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The receivers on MACs are 1.5 mm thick as opposed 1.0mm on others.  That is why the "sanding is needed.  Ironwood Designs have stock sets that fit correctly.  Be careful, even original Chinese  version may not fit,  the receiver on the "ban" models were angle cut at the rear. so they could not be modified like you are trying to do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
yep, the thicker metal is why I had to sand.  Worked fine for me in the end.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I don't have the "slant cut" receiver
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top