Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 4:55:15 PM EDT
I got a guy wanting to sell me a MAK90 for $250

I havent seen the gun yet but Im assuming look for the standard AK stuff when checking it out.

I dont know anything about the MAK90 - in which way does it differ from a standard AK.  I know the stock is a butthole stock and the MAK90 stock mounts entirely different....is there anything else.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes!

+ 1
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a straight cut you might consider it. Guy from work wants to sell me his for $300.
G2 FCG is $40 dollars and Ironwood furniture set is around $88 bills.
That gives you 922 compliance and all new wood to stain/finish how you want.
Or you could do this:
www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=9
Choice is yours....

But $250 is a pretty good deal for sure.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Even with a slant cut receiver it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Id get it
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
why is a slant cut bad???
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
A real good deal! Are you sure it's not HOT? Call the serial number in to the local PD, have them run the #'s thru NCIC. they'll also need the manufacturer and model name. Unless you know the guy real good and he says he bought it new.

OJF
A MAK 90 is a chinese made ak. most dimentions are different from the european made ak's. parts will not interchange from mak's to euro's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, since the assult weapon ban is over why do you need to add American parts to the AK's? I never understood this. Every time I try to read up on it I never really get a good answer. Oh and what is so bad about having a non-compliant gun that was brought into this county legally?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
because the US parts count and 922 compliance doesnt stem from the 1994 assault weapons ban, it is part of the earlier import ban.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are using a stamped receiver and no foreign muzzle device, you need 5 US parts.  With foreign muzzle device, 6 US parts.

Milled receivers only need 4 US parts if you are not using a foreign muzzle device.

You can have no more than 10 foreign parts in the rifle, including trunnions, for it to be considered a US rifle.

If I've missed anything, I'm sure someone will add it.

A domestically produced sporting rifle may have no more than 10 imported parts for it to still be considered domestic. So, depending on whether you have a milled or stamped rifle and whether or not it has a muzzle brake, you will have to replace up to 6 of the imported parts with made in the USA ones.

That's a key phrase there. You can't just slap on some US doohickies and go. You have to replace parts that were on the original rifle with made in the US ones. That's why it works in our favor that the butthole stocks are counted as 2 parts during the parts count for importation. If it were only counted as one part you would be adding another part to the total count when you put a pistol grip on. It could easily be offset by adding a US pistol grip, just like a made in the US muzzle brake will, in effect, offset itself but it would add an additional twist to an already convoluted subject.

Replacement US parts include:

Buttstock 1
pistol grip 1
upper and lower handguards 1
muzzle brake 1
gas piston 1
hammer 1
trigger 1
disconnector 1
magazine body 1
follower 1
floorplate 1
reciever 1

Please note that the upper and lower handguards are counted as one part. If you only replace one or the other it will not be counted as a US part regardless of what is molded into the plastic. Both the upper and lower must be of US manufacture for it to count toward changing it's import status. Also, a muzzle nut is not an attachment if it is secured properly but a brake is an attachment regardless of whether or not there are threads holding it on.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
why is a slant cut bad???

because it severely limits your stock options
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok, since the assult weapon ban is over why do you need to add American parts to the AK's? I never understood this. Every time I try to read up on it I never really get a good answer. Oh and what is so bad about having a non-compliant gun that was brought into this county legally?

It is only non-compliant if it has too many foreign parts, AND has "evil" features such as a pistol grip, etc. If you keep it in the original configuration (thumbhole stock, no bayonet lug, etc) then you do not need to replace foreign parts with US parts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you are using a stamped receiver and no foreign muzzle device, you need 5 US parts.  With foreign muzzle device, 6 US parts.

Milled receivers only need 4 US parts if you are not using a foreign muzzle device.

You can have no more than 10 foreign parts in the rifle, including trunnions, for it to be considered a US rifle.

A domestically produced sporting rifle may have no more than 10 imported parts for it to still be considered domestic. So, depending on whether you have a milled or stamped rifle and whether or not it has a muzzle brake, you will have to replace up to 6 of the imported parts with made in the USA ones.

That's a key phrase there. You can't just slap on some US doohickies and go. You have to replace parts that were on the original rifle with made in the US ones. That's why it works in our favor that the butthole stocks are counted as 2 parts during the parts count for importation. If it were only counted as one part you would be adding another part to the total count when you put a pistol grip on. It could easily be offset by adding a US pistol grip, just like a made in the US muzzle brake will, in effect, offset itself but it would add an additional twist to an already convoluted subject.

Buttstock 1
pistol grip 1
muzzle brake 1
gas piston 1
hammer 1
trigger 1
disconnector 1
magazine body 1
follower 1
floorplate 1
reciever 1

Please note that the upper and lower handguards are counted as one part. If you only replace one or the other it will not be counted as a US part regardless of what is molded into the plastic. Both the upper and lower must be of US manufacture for it to count toward changing it's import status. Also, a muzzle nut is not an attachment if it is secured properly but a brake is an attachment regardless of whether or not there are threads holding it on.

Why would milled/stamped make a difference on US part count?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buttstock 1
pistol grip 1
muzzle brake 1
gas piston 1
hammer 1
trigger 1
disconnector 1
magazine body 1
follower 1
floorplate 1
reciever 1

Why would milled/stamped make a difference on US part count?

On a milled AK, the trunnion and the receiver are one piece of metal. On a stamped AK, they are two parts.  Therefore, a stamped AK has more total parts (of the listed parts). Only 10 of them can be foreign, so on a stamped AK, one more US part must be used for compliance.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#16]
there is a MAK90 for 225.00 at a local store.  its a slant cut though.  if it was a straight cut it would have to be my 3rd AK in a 3 month time for sure!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#17]
IronWood.com makes some damn nice looking stocks for the slant cut MAK's.
I am ordering one for my milled slant-cut MAK-90.
Don't let the slant cut discourage you from buying the gun.
High capacity mags fit them and they are a blast to shoot. Read on, there is a lot of info on the MAKs on this form. Check out the Chinese section on this site.  or go to http://www.ak-47.us/Chinese.php  OR  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/page_2.htm  for a lot of information on the MAK's. A lot go guys would through rocks at anything but a Chinese AK.
Here is another good site  http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

:gun:
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A real good deal! Are you sure it's not HOT? Call the serial number in to the local PD, have them run the #'s thru NCIC. they'll also need the manufacturer and model name. Unless you know the guy real good and he says he bought it new.

OJF
A MAK 90 is a chinese made ak. most dimentions are different from the european made ak's. parts will not interchange from mak's to euro's.

That would be pretty easy to do considering the guy is bringing it to me at work.......I work for the Sheriffs Dept.  If this guy goes to sell me a hot gun that might make my day more than getting a cheap AK........the story I would have would almost be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
because the reciever has been cut at an angle, you cannot buy most regular stock sets and have them fit correctly. however somebody posted a pic recently of a regular stock placed on a slant cut reciever........there was a gap in between the stock and reciever, but to me at least it looked like a little work fitting some extra wood or metel, or maybe some black paint to cover the wood..............................might look ok?????
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought it without hesitation......

It is in absolutely perfect condition.  Its a 94 model, stamped receiver.  I havent taken the stock off yet so I dont know if its slant or straight cut.  I might change the stock at a later date.  I thought I was a butthole stock hater until I fired this gun.  I like firing this over my standard AK stocked weapon far better.  Its doesnt look as good but maybe I can do something to help that along.

Very blonde, good looking wood - far nicer than I was expecting.  Also the fit and finish is FAR superior to my WASR - but then I expected that.

All in all its a really nice weapon.  I had no problem letting go of $250 for it.....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah you'll like it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#22]
You could do this to it:
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I got a guy wanting to sell me a MAK90 for $250

I havent seen the gun yet but Im assuming look for the standard AK stuff when checking it out.

I dont know anything about the MAK90 - in which way does it differ from a standard AK.  I know the stock is a butthole stock and the MAK90 stock mounts entirely different....is there anything else.

Thumbhole or butthole stock?

whats the difference? one kinda sounds funny when your describing it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]
We just call them butthole stocks sometimes as a tribute to the people who necessitated them
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
OK I just took the stock off and its STRAIGHT CUT.

So If I wanted to change it to a standard stock I would use:

normal pistol grip of any variety - should fit correct

then

I need a specific butt stock for a MAK90 stamped due to the increased thickness of the receiver and slight difference in rear tang

is this correct?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OK I just took the stock off and its STRAIGHT CUT.

So If I wanted to change it to a standard stock I would use:

normal pistol grip of any variety - should fit correct

then

I need a specific butt stock for a MAK90 stamped due to the increased thickness of the receiver and slight difference in rear tang

is this correct?

An Ironwood stockset is the best looking choice.  You can get a Chinese drop in replacement from Polytechparts.com

Other stocksets will have to be fitted due to the extra receiver thickness.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top