Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2011 5:22:41 AM EDT
I'm either going to get an Interarms.

Or

One of the century's from Wideners or someone similar.

If I get the Century, I will probably also buy a new Bulgarian barrel for it to have on hand for if (or when) the non-chromed us barrel gives out.

It looks like sever online AK gunsmiths can do a barrel swap for $100 or less.  Would the FSB be reusable on a new barrel?

I know in the long run the century one might cost more, but I end up with a real combloc barreled  Bulgy, which seems like it would be worth more.

And yes, I would change out the stocks on the century at some point for some really nice wood.

Any other good options? I have the money for the century now, and could get the IAC in a month or so, but someting more expensive than that (like Arsenal) would have to wait until the end of summer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd wait and get the Arsenal.  I have several and am happy with each.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I second that!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't discount a kit build from a reputable builder either.  That is the route that I prefer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I second that!

I went down that road.  Its looking to me like a $700+ venture between the parts kit, the 992r, the receiver, and the gunsmith time, plus shipping and such.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What is up with Arsenal, they are out of stock all over the place.  My fear is that I may not have that option when I have the money.

Also, if I replace the plastic stocks with authentic wood I will have 992r issues, won't I?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#6]
AIM has 5 in stock.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ASGL3161&name=Russian+Arsenal+SGL31+Saiga+5.45x39+Rifle&groupid=11
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Why would you buy a Century, plus a barell, then spend another 100 bucks + shippling and FFL crap down the road on it?. I'd suck it up now and buy quality from a reputable dealer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is up with Arsenal, they are out of stock all over the place.  My fear is that I may not have that option when I have the money.

Also, if I replace the plastic stocks with authentic wood I will have 992r issues, won't I?

keep looking around, looks like there are a few on gunbroker. Not sure on the 922r issues, but the SGL-31 is a damn fine rifle and worth every penny
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why would you buy a Century, plus a barrel, then spend another 100 bucks + shipping and FFL crap down the road on it?. I'd suck it up now and buy quality from a reputable dealer.

I guess I don't understand what makes arsenal = quality and I don't see a value proposition.

I've read a few horror stories about issues with various Arsenal's, canted sites, parts that are hammered on looking and bent, and so forth.
I read the same thing about century rifles, however taking the chance on a $400 gun and on a $800 gun is very different.  Perhaps the Arsenal issues were all in the past?

Since no one stocks Arsenal's in this area, I'm going to have to buy sight (and sights!) unseen.

The IAC at $550 (with lifetime warranty, before AR15.com discount) is starting to sound like the better choice for me.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You would have to replace a US made part with another US made part or replace a different foreign made part with a US made part to remain compliant.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Looked around for a SAR-2 or WASR-2? Factory chrome lined romanian barrel is a big plus and relatively inexpensive. IMO the SAR's are much nicer over the WASR's but it depends on what you want to do with it. For just a shooter––wasr.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can't afford the Arsenal get a Saiga and do a simple conversion.  They might not be available much longer in 5.45x39 though, they sell out fast and keep going up in price.

Buy online and ship to a local FFL for transfer.

Try http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=648&categoryId=136

Classic Arms, Centerfiresystems, Atlantic Firearms have also carried them.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the Interarms AK-74 AK-74 wood  from Atlanitic Firearms. I am real happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I am going to go the Interarms route.  Trust me, I appreciate quality, but this is just a toy for me.  With the lifetime warranty I figure I've got little to lose and it will probably never be worth less than I pay for it unless it gets run over by a tank.

Thanks everyone for their opinions.  When I get the 74 I will post my impressions and range report.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top