Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/20/2003 1:28:51 PM EDT
First off I'm  a newbie....Like to say hey..Now the question..I'm looking for an AK-74 variant of course..Just wanted some advice on the best one's...and is the ammo hard to get??? And will it become hard to find?? Thank's too all that reply:)
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, welcome to the boards.  

Now to your question.  If you want a decent AK-74 variant then I would recommend getting the Special Edition AK-74 that is about to start here in the next month or so for AR15.com members.  If that is a little too high a price then I would recommend shopping around the EE or any of your local gunshows for a SAR-2.  These will be a little rougher than the SEAK but durable nonetheless.  And for that matter, most AK-74 variants, aside from the SAR-2, will be in the $450 - $750 price range.  For something better than a SAR-2 and a little less than an SEAK, I would recommend an Arsenal AK-74 type rifle.

The ammo (5.45x39mm) is not that hard to find.  Offhand, I know that Wolf and Barnaul make the 5.45 rounds and they are pretty darn cheap.  I just got a box of 20 for $2.95 at a local show.  The ammo itself is not hard to find though, and one website I know will have it is www.ammoman.com.  

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Best quality 5.45 is Robarms VeprII www.robarm.com...$475-600 range.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo is easy in this area with dansammo near Pgh, ammunitionstore near Canton, and aimsurplus near Dayton, and the 5.45 is getting more common. If it is not readily found in your part of Ky and you hate the mail order teather, consider a blasphemous 5.56 AK. There are other places like centerfiresystems in Ky.
My votes are for the SEAK project, VEPR, Arsenal of Nevada, and ak-103.com for the best bought 74 varient under $700.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
When are these Seak 74's gonna be ready????
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]
see the sticky thread up top
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There are 3 prominent builders of the AK across the country that all have loyal followings.
They are kreb's customs, AK usa and marshalls firearms.
If your looking for the best, it will be built by one of them.

As for over the counter rifles, it's a personal thing, the hungarian stuff looks good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the board,

Where in Ky are you located??

Go with the SEAK build From Ohio Rapid Fire,
and don't ever look back.
TOP quality and workmanship. Great package gun
and great place to deal with.
Well worth the money.

You will love whatever you do get...
Trust me on this...:)

KyARGuy
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top