Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/26/2012 9:51:22 PM EDT
Im now looking to purchase a top tier custom AK 47.
I would like to get some opinions of the best Custom AK Builders?(Regardless of Cost)
Krebs, Marshall Arms, In Range C2?
Any Others?

Thanks Much
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Jim Fuller.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]

the one i got back from him was great. i have used one other builder that is well known and will only use Jim now

stuck
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Marshall Arms is the best of the best if a historically correct rifle is what you want.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Marshall Arms is the best of the best if a historically correct rifle is what you want.

This.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

yes historically... but id take a krebs over rifledynamics anny day
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

yes historically... but id take a krebs over rifledynamics anny day

It all really depends what your looking for.  

I think Marshall Arms, PoHF, and AK-USA are the places to go if historically accurate is what you want.

If you just want a working AK, then pretty much any well known builder can deliver that.  The three above, InRange, Rifle Dynamics, JBI Armory, Investment Grade Firearms, etc.

I think Krebs is the way to go if you want something really custom done up.  Rifle Dynamics is probably comparable, or maybe just a hair below.

But of course, there will always be people saying their $100 build from the local guy with a hammer is just as good as a Ted Marshall piece.  Or that there WASR is just as good as a Krebs because they both work.  Whatever..haha
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at Krebs AKs and Rifle Dynamics AKs as they are two different AK master gunsmiths in different regions of America., different people, and different philosophy.  To each their own.  I say one is not better than another.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look at Krebs AKs and Rifle Dynamics AKs as they are two different AK master gunsmiths in different regions of America., different people, and different philosophy.  To each their own.  I say one is not better than another.

Would you suggest one over the other to send a SGL for a "tune-up"?
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I really think it depends on quality of the work, turn-around time, and cost. A lot of the "2nd tier" builders out there do awesome work for less, and have better CS. Basic builds and tune-ups can be done for a lot less than the top dogs charge. You are buying into a brand by going the Fuller/Krebs route and will pay and wait accordingly.

Randy at sledgehammer arms does great work, as well as JBI Armory.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a complete waste of money.  What are you trying to have "tuned up" on a $800+ AK?
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a complete waste of money.  What are you trying to have "tuned up" on a $800+ AK?

"compliance" for NY State... shaving bayo lug if it has one, and pinning welding brake...and a more durable finish since the Arsenal's finish is widely reported as not very good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"compliance" for NY State... shaving bayo lug if it has one, and pinning welding brake...and a more durable finish since the Arsenal's finish is widely reported as not very good.

There are much less expensive options for something that basic than Krebs or Rifle Dynamics.  It would probably take them 6-8 or more just to get that simple work done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

K-var sells NY, NJ, CA compliant firearms. Sending it off to a big name for a "tune-up" would be a gigantic waste of money unless you're going to have some real work done. Your local gunsmith could do the aforementioned work at a fraction of the cost. Gunsmithing and firearms manufacturing isn't rocket science.

Arsenal's finish isn't as bad as everyone claims. You're not supposed to use harsh solvents, but it's not a big deal.

K-Var
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Piece of History Firearms would be a place I would send an AK receiver to get it engraved with the right selector markings as he is the best AK Reciever engraver in the nation.   I will not promote either company over the other as the Krebs safeties are one of the best designed safety levers, (If you like those) in the AK world today.  Krebs retainer plates (if they fit in your rifle, which most of them do) are the best retainer plates that I know of and is worth that extra coin over the cheap knock offs ( i won't elaborate on the materials used.)  The best way to tell how good a gunsmith is by how far each of these AK companies, including the other ones I have not mentioned are backlogged.  The builder that I have used was Rifle Dynamics three times, three different rifles in two years because he is local and I love his work but, like I said I am not putting anyone down or promoting anybody.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top