Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/19/2007 6:44:31 PM EDT
During my search for a flat i came across a laser cut flat.  From what i gather, a guy wouldnt need a jig and all that.  Am i correct? And if so, are these worth buying?
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't these the ones you have to weld up?
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
technically, all flats are laser cut

if this is what you are talking about, you will still have to spot weld the lower rails, heat treat the holes and weld the bends that are perforated.  mox nix on time, setup and tools, depending on what you already have.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 5:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Way more trouble than they're worth.
They are too thick, which causes all sorts of fit issues. The top cover, selector lever, selector stop, axis pins, front and rear trunnion will all require modifications.

If you do decide to go ahead and build on one anyway, you can't use the lower rails that come with it. You will need to buy OE style rails from AKBuilder or Kvar.
The crappy Tapco style rails that come with them lack the mag stabilizers. You can get away with those rails if you have a dimpled receiver, but these laser cut flats do not have dimples.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
technically, all flats are laser cut

if this is what you are talking about, you will still have to spot weld the lower rails, heat treat the holes and weld the bends that are perforated.  mox nix on time, setup and tools, depending on what you already have.  

Yes that is the one i was talking about, i dont mind the welding part.  I just looks like a guy would have less room for error with that kit.  And as someone mentioned, i was wondering if i was going to run into problems with the extra thickness.  But once a guy sorts out the fitting problems due to the thickness, wouldnt it be stronger?
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
There are untold millions of AKs operating in FA mode, in some of the absolutely worst environments and climates in the world, from jungles to deserts for 50+ years, while also being used as a shovel or a pry bar, by people with the equivolent of a third grade education, with no problems.

Yet you feel you need something stronger?  LMFAO

Link Posted: 9/20/2007 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are untold millions of AKs operating in FA mode, in some of the absolutely worst environments and climates in the world, from jungles to deserts for 50+ years, while also being used as a shovel or a pry bar, by people with the equivolent of a third grade education, with no problems.

Yet you feel you need something stronger?  LMFAO

I didnt say i needed it any damn stronger.  I just said that it would be stronger.  Trying to get to the need for heat treating.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
OK - so as far as building an AK from a kit, what receiver flat does everyone suggest?  Which one will make for the  most hassle-free build and quality rifle?

Should we start a poll?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe that is the question i should have asked
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
what receiver flat does everyone suggest?  Which one will make for the  most hassle-free build and quality rifle?

I'm not everyone, but remember it depends on the model of the rifle.  Copes has some good flats, the Tapco flats with the bent upper rails are VERY close, but still require a dremal tool to get them to fit.  I belive AKbuilder.com has their own flats that people like.

personally, I doubt I'll ever do another flat again..too much effort, and, for what you get from NoDak, building from a flat is not worth my time. NDS receivers are very nice.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Tapco flats.....Cheap and fitting issues..

Ak-Builder flats....Alittle work but final result is WAY better than Tapco.

I would recomend getting flats without pre-drilled holes for the trunnions.
They are usally off anyways.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well i have to say that i learned a very good lesson during this build.  Get a good flat such as a tapco flat.  Dont be afraid to use a jig, the flat that i used was one that didnt require a jig.  It seemed like the way to go but i quickly realized that it lacked features that you get in the others.  Such as the dimple in the mag well, the cutout for the bolt carrier, and i had to cut down the top rail to properly fit the front trunion.  But the biggest thing was after welding, i had alot of work to do to get it looking good again.  Still looks like crap! (Guess i needed a truck gun anyway)  And im still not done.  My next build will be on a tapco flat.

Dude, Did you even bother to read my first reply to you in this thread?
I warned you about all that.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top