Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/31/2006 11:35:51 AM EDT
Blaine Bunting from Atlantic Firearms asked me to conduct a no-nonsense, honest range report on my new Lancaster Consulting AKM 47RS.  

So, I got a chance to go out early this morning after a detailed cleaning, and conduct a test.  This examination was non-scientific to be sure, but, here are the results:  

Lancaster Consulting AKM 47RS Built on a Romy "G" Kit--NDS-3 Receiver, 16" CL Barrel

Finish:  The finish on my rifle is excellent.  The exterior wood has been nicely redone in a slightly reddish hue and the metal is flawless; looks to be some type of Duracoat or Gun Kote...not sure.  The plastic pistol grip was replaced with a Z_Recto grip, as I prefer a little larger girth.  

Sights:  The front sight has zero cant.  However, the rear sight is slightly canted on the left side, but nothing I would consider as bad workmanship.  Happily, they were "spot-on" concerning windage right out of the box @ 25 yards.  In my limited experience, this is somewhat unusual, but extremely satisfying and perhaps...lucky?!

Ammo:  I shot exactly 300 rounds of Wolf 122 Gr. steel case, non-corrosive ammunition through the gun.  

Function:  I used an assortment of 30 rd. mags throughout the test; Chinese, Bulgarian "waffle" style and European (E. German, Romanian, etc.).  Throughout the test, I did not have one FTF or FTE.  

Accuracy:  I wasn't expecting match grade accuracy here and this rifle did not exceed my expectations.  Shooting from a rest, (sitting), prone and standing off-hand, the rifle averaged around 3-3.5" groups.  However, milk jugs and bowling pins (25-50 yards) were being taken out consistently, with 7 misses overall; usually hitting low.  

Accessories:  The gun sports a recoil buffer and my first 100 shots were taken with it installed.   Again, no FTF or FTE with the buffer installed, but I didn't notice any real difference in reduced recoil or operational "smoothness" for lack of a better term.  

The rifle also came with a soft-case, but did not include a bayonet or sling.  I would have opted for the latter in lieu of the case, but, a nice touch anyway.      

Overall Impression:  I am very impressed with the gun.  For the price, it's a very competent weapon, looks sharp, fires without a hitch and I am very happy to include it in my collection.  The only real problem I had was removing the mags due to the vertical fore-grip.  After a few times however, you learn to acquire a technique.    

If you're looking for a nice Romanian clone (as I was), for a good price, or considering any type of AKM clone, consider the Lancaster Consulting line.  I'm really happy I did!

Here is a pic of it, with grip from the factory alongside one of my 74s.  

Bud  

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good report Bud. Nice looking AK's too!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  Here's another angle:

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A great honest review,
thank you for posting it!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top