Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/5/2003 9:07:58 PM EDT
I am new to this forum and am in the process of getting a Romanian SAR-1. I have done about a month's worth of research and have found that, online, AIM Surplus offers the best deals on new SAR-1 rifles. Well, anyway, to my question: they are now offering SAR-1 rifles with a laminated furniture set instead of the usual ones. Are the laminated stocks better than the original stocks? To me, it looks nicer in quality and is more visually appealing. The only difference is like $20. So any advice anyone has either with either their dealings with AIM Surplus or with SAR-1 rifles in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/6/2003 12:11:03 AM EDT by WildWes]
First I've heard of these! I'll add the link, but I'll have to check it out myself. Personally I like the Romanian laminate, if what AIM is offering is similar to the $80 set K-var sells, it's a damn good deal compared to the typical Rom. furniture.

www.aimsurplus.com

Edit and checked link, that's the best looking factory SAR I've seen yet! I spent $100 more to make mine similar. Bummer for me, but I'd go $320 over $300 for that stock-set, any day.

(small edit, since AIM's pic lacks in detail, hard to say what they really look like. I'm wondering about the gas block now...)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:02:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:52:32 AM EDT
So from what I gather the laminated stocks on these guns are nice. :) Ok then, I'll have to make some arrangements with my local dealer to get them to ship it to him, and, when it arrives, I'll report back as to the quality of the wood, so far as I'll be able to tell since I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks for your support and this board has been extremely helpful in my endeavours.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:54:43 AM EDT
Oh yeah and what do you mean about the gas block? Are you referring to whether or not it is canted? Like I said before I am new to this board and am in the process of learning the "AK Lingo". And if that is not right then what does it mean? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:05:47 AM EDT
Yeah, I saw those in Shotgun News. They're also putting out SAR-1s with welded "folding" stocks too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:39:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/6/2003 2:54:08 PM EDT by WildWes]
mattld, with the Romanian AK's canted gas blocks can be a problem but that wasn't what I was referring to.

Someone recently posted a late model SAR from AIM that had an investment cast gas block instead of the more typical stamped gas block. No difference whatsoever in performance, just a slightly different "look".

I'm just beginning to wonder if the Romanians are digging through some different parts bins to configure the rifles. I suppose the wood sets might be being installed here. Hmm, makes ya wonder what K-var pays for a set when the set only adds $20 to the price of a complete rifle.

I'm not saying the price I paid was a rip-off, but I'd have much rather just paid $20 more!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:59:04 PM EDT
Oh ok. I do not know the difference between a cast vs. stamped block anyway and if you say that it does not affect performance then I will not worry about it. I sent an email to AIM to see if they make sure the rifles they sell do not have stuff wrong with them like canted gas blocks but I have yet to recieve a reply. If they don't then I guess I'll go ahead and take a chance and get one anyway because the urge to get one has yet to subside. Thanks again Wes for the info.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:07:00 PM EDT
If you were to recieve one of these Ak's but the coloration of the furniture didn't match and you wanted to refinish the wood then wouldn't the laminated wood serve you no purpose? This is what has stopped me from going for this new "feature" from aimsurplus.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:19:09 PM EDT
Beats me as I have no prior experience with refinishing wood, especially the wood furniture of Romanian SAR-1s. It sounds like a good observation but I would assume that more than likely, all of the furniture would be the same color. But then I again, like I said, I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:34:59 PM EDT
I've got 2 rifles with Romanian laminate furniture, you could more or less swap any of the pieces within the two rifles and still have a close match. I hear "Golden Pecan" is a close match to most Romanian laminate for touch-up, etc. (yet to try it on a Baltic Birch laminate pistol grip, I'll post the results though)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:44:45 PM EDT
Sounds cool. I'll post back on what AIM has to say about both furnitre matching and cantedness on their new rifles but their customer support has not yet gotten back to me on my first question...(it's been 2 days now...) Oh well, we shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:14:45 PM EDT
This may sound like a dumb question, but would it be accurate to assume that the laminate stocks that AIM is installing are U.S.-made? I'm guessing that they are, but $20 is an unbelievable bargain for the U.S.-made laminate furniture. It sounds too good to be true. Ironwood sells unfinished laminate stocks for $85. Surely something is amiss.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:58:31 PM EDT
Nothing is amiss, the stocks are Romanian, pistol grips are US made black plastic. Same as before, just better looking furniture.

My opinion of the furniture is a biased one as I have several AK's with variations of laminate wood sets. We all know what most SAR furniture looks pretty crummy, I've seen a few that looked great compared to the "average".

With that in mind, some of the refinished Beech I've seen on the boards looks great! Look down a few threads, forgot who posted his but it looks fantastic with a little tlc. If you don't like the glossy/shiny look of the laminate the standard SAR funiture and a refinish job is probably a better bet.

But for $20 extra...
Top Top