Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 3:44:38 PM EDT
Do you need to bake this stuff in an oven?  If so how hot and long?   Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Only the 1200 degree paint has directions for baking.  If I remember correctly, it was 300 degrees for two hours and then 400 or 450 degrees for one hour.  The paint is really tough though, I am very impressed with it for the price, I just wish they made it in more colors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Only the 1200 degree paint has directions for baking.  If I remember correctly, it was 300 degrees for two hours and then 400 or 450 degrees for one hour.  The paint is really tough though, I am very impressed with it for the price, I just wish they made it in more colors.

Impressed as in good for Mags or good for a Rifle ??
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
SOCANDYMAN's method (I saved to a .txt file)

stuff you need
krylon bbq paint (some others work some dont and wipe right off)
rubber gloves
s hook
2 big cans brake cleaner (3 small)
use of the oven (wait till the wife is gone)

compleatly disassemble rifle
hang the parts and hose them down with brake cleaner use it all even if you think its clean after 1/2 can
let it dry 15 min useing rubber gloves to keep oils off parts move them to the oven
heat them at 250 for 30 min
remove from oven with clean dry rag and hang it to be painted (still hot )
apply a nice thick coat over hot rifle
let it dry about 15 min
then back to the oven
set temp to 425 and cook hour and 15 min then check it if its still smoking keep cooking till it stops
when its done let it cool totaly
put your rifle back together and your done

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Do they make this high temp stuff in olive drab/olive green by chance?

NM, they do. Just found it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Trooper, where did you find it??
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Works great on rifles and mags. Mags are easier to do because its shape is easier to set in the oven. I'd build some sort of jig to hold it while painting and baking. It turns out as a nice black, dull black thats mostly scratch resistent. Mags look awesome when done it it IMO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I have only been able to find the 1200 degree paint in black, white, and your regular engine colors.  I would really like to know where the "camo" colors in high temp come from.  They don't show them on the krylon website.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trooper, where did you find it??

I can't find it now but I'm pretty sure I saw it on their website yesterday, sorry.

However, John Norrell Arms (http://www.molyresin.com) makes some good products which have similar properties to Krylon's high temp sprays. Unfortunately you have to have an airbrush, and having sand blasting equipment is probably a good idea too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you load the mag. then insert in rifle.  Next, turn oven to broil and pre-heat.  Lastly,  insert rifle in oven and run like hell.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top