Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:11:16 AM EDT
Care to share your knowledge on what advantages of disadvantages on how the short Krink gas system affects cyclic rate of fire, wear on parts, accuracy and so on? I'm guessing it increases rate of fire like in the AR world.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:22:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DeltaDelta214:
Care to share your knowledge on what advantages of disadvantages on how the short Krink gas system affects cyclic rate of fire, wear on parts, accuracy and so on? I'm guessing it increases rate of fire like in the AR world.
Thanks in advance.

The Krink being shorter has nothing to do with how it fires.
It was made shorter to make it easier for Helicopter air crews (Fighters too I imagine) to keep one in the cockpit. I suppose it (being shorter) also made it easier for transporting in other vehicle types as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:46:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 2:30:02 PM EDT by DeltaDelta214]
LOL. The F4 I flew barely had enough room for an extra sandwich, not to mention a submachine gun. I do realize that it's a compact design for rather obvious reasons. The question is about the short gas system not the overall length. The piston is shorter and travels a shorter distance. Less recipricating mass. Assuming that the gas port is jetted to allow for the shorter distance the piston has to travel, it might follow that the Krinkov system could produce better accuracy ... or not. That is the question.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
In the article, I read concerning the Krinkov 5.45mm, accuracy was 3 inch groups at 100 yds using Wolf 60 gr FMJ. They also said the reason for the muzzle device was to be an expanison chamber for the gases, making functionability more reliable. An increase in the cyclic rate was mentioned to be 800rpm but the Russian website says 650-735rpm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:51:34 PM EDT

The piston is shorter and travels a shorter distance. Less recipricating mass. Assuming that the gas port is jetted to allow for the shorter distance the piston has to travel, it might follow that the Krinkov system could produce better accuracy ... or not. That is the question.

Actually, the piston travels the exact same distance on a krinkov, as on a full length ak-74. It's just shorter.

The bolt carrier has to travel the same distance on either gun. So, the piston (being attached) travels with the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:14:43 PM EDT
They were issued to aircrews. Theres a pic somewhere of some pilots on the ramp in front of some SU-25s, carrying them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ViperEH:
They were issued to aircrews. Theres a pic somewhere of some pilots on the ramp in front of some SU-25s, carrying them.

An SU 25 is a single seat aircraft. So how many of a crew would pilot one? Inqiring minds ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:34:31 PM EDT
Forgive my lack of precise terms. PILOTS were issued them. I'll try and dig it up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:10 PM EDT
Krinkovs aren't even used by the Russian Military anymore.
They're in the hands of the police.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:17:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ViperEH:

An SU 25 is a single seat aircraft. So how many of a crew would pilot one? Inqiring minds ...

Thats not always true. He may have seen a trainer version with the extra canopy. More likely, he saw a SU-27M or SU-27 trainer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:33:45 PM EDT
The picture I saw was of 3 guys walking away in flight gear, line of SU25s in the background. Original series, (not SU-39 or anything) with green paint. I thought at the time it was a Afghanistan shot. You could see the krink cone sticking out behind one guys back, and the rilfe slings. They were the standard single seat model. Looked like something you'd see in a magazine. As both a airplane nut, and a krink nut, I was reasonably certain of what I was seeing. The original reason for the pics was a discussion on pilots being issued krinks, hence the memory. Just seemed odd at the time.
Top Top