Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 5:58:43 PM EDT
Howdy.  I'm in the process of making an AK-104 clone out of a post-ban 7.62 gun using a gas block I got from K-Var.  To be true to the Russian original I should use a Krinkov brake and am wondering if the US Krinkov brake sold by Global Trades is a legal post-ban part.  I emailed Global about this but have gotten no response.

I plan on cutting the barrel at about 13 1/2 or 14 inches and then welding on the brake to give me an over length of 16 1/2 inches.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it is a part you can put on your rifle.  It is not classified as a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
 The four piece device that looks like some kind of mini soup can is a flash suppressor, or flame extinguisher I believe they call it.

I have no proof that this is what the ATF thinks, but I have heard that it is classified as such.

Take it for what you will.

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking of the AK-74 brake. The Krinkov flash hider dosen't do much hiding, but they say it's illegal, so it is.  Even if it's made in the US, you can't use it, unless it has some kind of ATF aproval for it, like the Tapco STG-58 replacement for the Stole flash-hider.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
So am I okay if I use a cone-style brake and drill some gas vent holes in it?  Brownell's has one in their catalog that says it already has some gas ports in it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So am I okay if I use a cone-style brake and drill some gas vent holes in it?  Brownell's has one in their catalog that says it already has some gas ports in it.

Got a item number or link??

www.brownells.com
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Never mind.  I got a Global Trades piece and they list it as 922r compliant.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
How is the -104 conversion going?  I am curious, cause I am attempting the same with a SAR-2.

Thanks!

-William
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The conversion is coming along nicely.  I have cut the new barrel and have it installed and headscaped.  I have the gas block in place and all that's left is to attach the muzzle brake.  I want to make a spacer to fit between the gas block and muzzle brake so I don't have a step there and haven't quite figured out what I'm going to use yet.  Then I need to attach the scope rail and refinish everything.  I'll post some pictures soon.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top