Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2003 2:27:26 PM EDT
Ok - so my buddy has a norinco MAk90 bought in 92 with an after market side folder with the big extnesion block  - liiks like an ace stock but not as nice and I've never heard of the brand before.

top cover doesn't match the receiver ser. no.  looks ripe for building a krink.

with re-cycling as many parts as I can, how much trouble would this be?  Keeping it 7.62,   Get the parts kit from K-Var, gotta add the catch for the side folder...  need to attache the bbl trunion.  

How hard is it to take the existing bbl out of the trunion and put in the 23mm Krink barrel?

Just curious.  He showed me the rifle this weekend, thinking about making him an offer or something.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be no problem expecially for an experienced builder. If it were me i would just buy and OOW receiver and hope the ban went away instead of chopping up an already legal side folder. I would buy the kit now and hold on to it, leave the pre ban as it is.
Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you're purchasing an "expensive" receiver for your Krinkov Build.

You can use the receiver, but if you order the $400 Krinkov Kit from K-VAR, you will have everything you need, but will wind up with a bunch of leftover parts from the MAK90.

www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=211&1=214&2=-1&6=1

If it were me.....I would keep the MAK90 as a CHICOM AK (full stock) and have a Krinkov built separately.

$400 for the kit
$65 for the receiver
$400 for the gunsmith

and then you have two weapons!

KF
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.

the reason I wanted to use the MAK was so I could have a folding stock.

+200 for SBR.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
There are no legal side folder MAK90s.

KF
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
purchased in '92 and configured as such pre '93.  should be good to go.

if not, then screw it.  the $65 receiver is the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If it were me......

I would keep the MAK90, but resurrect it to acceptable levels...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=58060&w=searchPop

ORF has OOW receivers in stock.....KVAR has kits....hook up with both companies and have your Krinkov built.

Just my .02 cents.

KF
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
 It is actually much easier to atart from scratch on the build, versus using your chinese rifle.

The trunnion would have to be changed out to accept the Bulgarian barrel which is 23mm versus the chinese 19mm barrel. The trunnion can be bored to accept the bulgy barrel, but this is a last resort type of operation. The difference in rivet patterns from chinese to european necessitates welding up a hole or two also.

If you absolutely have to have a sidefolder, either use the receiver that you have for the build, or say screw the Gov., and go for what you want.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks!

the trunion BS seals it.  If I ever get around to building one I'll do it from scratch.

I just wanted to beable to do as close to authentic as I could.  actually have the SBR with a side folder.

sounds like a big pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
 If you are going to attempt the build yourself, then yes it would be a bit of a pain.
 Depending on your aptitude and the equipment that you have available for your use though, not undoable.
 Having the side folder would be a plus over a fixed version, it all depends on what you want to go through to complete the build.

Assuming that you buy a complete krink kit, you will already have the trunnion to change out. You can number the trunnion to natch your receiver if you wish to.
 You may want to consider doing a 104 build, or a 103K type of thing if going SBR dosen't bother you.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Another alternative is to turn the chinese barrel down to krink specs. This will help to avoid issues over the trunion. I had a full length .223 barrel turned down for my krink build. This allowed me to build a small bolt pattern (Russian/AK74) .223 instead of the large bolt pattern (Bulgarian/AKM) gun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, a non chinese rear trunion will have to have .5mm milled off of each side due to receiver thickness differences.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
 Another viable alternative to be considered, and one that slipped my mind. Sometimes I amaze myself at the stuff that I forget. That ever happen to you guys too?

Good call Mark.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont feel bad, happens to me all the time. I'm gonna be screwed when I get old.  
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top