Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:12:53 PM EDT
I'm completely new to AK's. I've seen the Krebs KTR 03 with the collapseable stock, three rail fore-end, AR type sights and what not. The newest version is running $1350 in 5.45. Is this gun really worth the high dollar cost??? Again I know zippo of AK style rifles so i have nothing to judge it against. I have heard all good reports of his work and not looking to buy a kit gun but a finished quality rifle. Any input appreaciated.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you pay for the rails, the sights, the Voltr, and a good AK. I guess it would be worth it if all that stuff was important to you. You could have an AK that shoots just as well as that Krebs for half the price.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have the money and like AKs I think it is. It just depends on what you are wanting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a more traditional looking AK in the same quality range AK-USA is a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I owned a Krebs M3 A for a period of time. There was no mistaking it for anything except a topflight AK. The workmanship was second to none and the rifle was certainly a looker. Ultimately for me it was just something that ate space in the back of the safe and I sold it. But if you are looking for a topshelf AK Krebs is certainly one of the best palces to start
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you want a more traditional looking AK in the same quality range AK-USA is a better choice.

beat me to it. If you are willing to spend $1350, then you are screwing yourself if you haven't checked Chris Butler's work out yet. His AKs look much more traditonal and his work is just unbelievabe. Nice guy too, and very helpful. I would spend that $1350 at AKUSA in a heartbeat, but that is just me......Not that Krebs isn't a great builder too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

beat me to it. If you are willing to spend $1350, then you are screwing yourself if you haven't checked Chris Butler's work out yet. His AKs look much more traditonal and his work is just unbelievabe. Nice guy too, and very helpful. I would spend that $1350 at AKUSA in a heartbeat, but that is just me......Not that Krebs isn't a great builder too.

ak-103.com here, by the way. Get yourself a nice custom job done, I'm telling you man.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll add a big + 1 for Chris of AKUSA. I have one of his AK103K's (762)(the short 103) and one of his AK101's (223) and they both are of the highest quality and workmanship.heyOld Blind Squirrel
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to Arsenal Inc., if you prefer a (better than stamped steel, IMO) milled receiver.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go to Arsenal Inc., if you prefer a (better than stamped steel, IMO) milled receiver.

I second this. I bought a Krebs straight from them right after the ban ended. I felt the finish was very poor. They blasted it so hard you could barely see the markings, and I constantly got black  specs of finish all over when I shot or handled it. Annoying for $1,000. I tried to sell it and had to basically give it away. I took a huge loss on that gun.

I've since went with the Arsenal line. I pay less and I get much, much more. Fit and finish rivals a Bushmaster or Colt AR.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Not all of Krebs' work is $1000.  I have one of his Saiga AK103k conversions that was around $800 and is absolutely fabulous.  Not a tool mark on it! Perfect.

I also have a Bulkgy 74 done by Chris Butler (AK USA).  Also stellar work.

Serious AK lovers owe it to themselves to dump a SAR or two and pick up a piece by one of the masters.  Throw Ted Marshall in there too.  Hell, throw JNewt in too - I love his work for a lot less money.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top