Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2003 6:57:00 AM EDT
To amplify a bit upon the very clear descriptions you can pull down from Tantal's website: Although apparently designed as an evolutionary upgrade, the EKP-8-02 seems to me a giant step backward from the earlier EKP-1S-03M.

To wit;

The -8- weighs a full 25% more than the -1S-, althought the mount on the -1S- is a good deal stronger.

The sight plane of the -8- sits a full 1/2" higher than the -1S-. Cheek weld is enough of a problem with the -1S- without making matters worse.

The brightness and reticle selection controls stick out the right side of the -8- where they can be easily bumped by accident. The same controls on the -1S- are located on the left side on the bottom of the upper rail mount; damned near impossible to bump by accident yet, very easy to get to when you want. Furthermore, for those of us who are right handed , having the controls on the right side of the weapon on the -8- are a real PITA. You have to remove your firing hand from the grip (just what I want to do in the middle of a serious cultural interaction) in order to adjust brightness or switch reticles. Now you try to stabalize the weapon with your left hand while you adjust the controls with your right (and try not to move your right shoulder during this process so as not to lose your sight picture). With the controls on the left, a la -1S-, you just hold the gun in firing position with your right hand and right shoulder, reach up with your left hand to adjust the scope controls, and get back in the war. You leftys may consider the control placement on the -8- a gift from Allah but for the rest of us it's poopy-ka-ka.

I consider the debate over the respective battery types in the two scopes to be a non-issue. The 3V coin batteries for the -8- are cheap, easy to find, and one of them is a good deal lighter than the two AA's needed for the -1S-. The real issue is having to remove the scope from the rifle in order to change batteries on the -8-; unlike the -1S- where the scope remains mounted during this process. Not a big deal on the bench in the air-conditioned shop; a real PITA out in the field.

Finally, the -1S- comes with a sunshade whereas the -8- does not. While perhaps unimportant to some of you, a very BFD to those of us in the Arizona desert where we have enough sunlight to jump start a nuclear reactor. More importantly, the sunshade radically reduces the probability that the other guy (or gal, or undecided: gotta stay PC) will see the glint off the front of your highly reflective scope lens.

My $0.02.

For those of you who cannot live a complete life without an EKP-8-02, I will be putting mine in the EE at what I have in it.

Best to all.

Shoot a Commie for mommy.

SD

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:27:10 PM EDT
Hmmm. Now I don't know what the hell I want! I was all set on the EKP-8-02. Where is all the weight in the 8?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:35:27 PM EDT
Where is all the weight in the 8?

A bunch of it appears (I'm no engineer) to be in the solid-plate mounting bracket. Also, the body of the scope has more square (as opposed to the -1S-'s rounded) corners; thus using more metal to obtain the same interior envelope.

In any event, I weighed both scopes (with batteries installed) with my trigger scale.

Hope this helps.

E-mail me with any other questions. I sure ain't no Tantal but, I'll help as best I can.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:39:59 PM EDT
Sailor Dude,

Do you recommend the EKP-1S-03M then? I know you don't like the new "8" version. Would you suggest something else then?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:27:58 PM EDT
I know you don't like the new "8" version

It's not that I dislike the -8-. In fact, it's a pretty good piece of gear. However, I believe the precessor model (-1S-) is better in most respects.

I decided to sell either my -8- or my -1S- because I really don't need both and had to make a choice about which one goes. That got me to studying the differences in some detail.

Mind you, I am not privy to long term durability/reliability issues of the two Kobras.

Another setup I like real well is the Ultimak with an Aimpoint. The downside here is a total cost of about 270% of what you would pay for a Kobra.

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:03:07 PM EDT

My -8 has a sunshade.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:16:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SailorDude:
I know you don't like the new "8" version

It's not that I dislike the -8-. In fact, it's a pretty good piece of gear. However, I believe the precessor model (-1S-) is better in most respects.

I decided to sell either my -8- or my -1S- because I really don't need both and had to make a choice about which one goes. That got me to studying the differences in some detail.

Mind you, I am not privy to long term durability/reliability issues of the two Kobras.

Another setup I like real well is the Ultimak with an Aimpoint. The downside here is a total cost of about 270% of what you would pay for a Kobra.

Good luck.

SD

Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be fine....
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:30:00 PM EDT
After this verification from Tantal I just ordered a EKP-1S-03M from freedomoptics.com.

"EKP-1S-03M KOBRA SIGHTS

LATEST GEN 1 SIDE MOUNTING AK VERSION (AA BATTERIES)

Newly upgraded after extensive use on the Chechen battlefields, combat sight EKP-1S-03M is the latest version of the original side mounting AK model using AA battery type. Versions of this sight have been identified in photographs of SPETsNAZ forces in action in Chechnya, attached to the mounts of Russian AK-74M rifles.

Model -03M has several improvements designed for severe use, including a reinforced, finned mounting bracket that offers more rigidity and strength over all previous models. Advantages over other Kobra sights include the fact -03M has the strongest rock solid mounting bracket, it uses cheap and easy to find AA batteries (which last every bit as long as the more expensive coin cells). The sight also sits lower and hugs the receiver cover which allows a much better cheek weld, and is also far lighter than the EKP-8. it also is the only model currently offered with the popular rubber hood, commonly referred to as a "sun shield".

Compared to other optical aids, the Kobra combat sight is the best choice, period, since it most closely matches the performance, range, and primary strengths of the Kalashnikov rifle. It has the ability to make the shooter more effective as a small arms operator by enabling him to acquire targets more rapidly, aim without the need to align sights, and pay more attention to the surrounding field of view while keep both eyes open. We have found that most people who have tried the sight are extremely happy with it, and have become more accurate and enjoy using it over the iron sights."

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:56:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
After this verification from Tantal I just ordered a EKP-1S-03M from freedomoptics.com.

"EKP-1S-03M KOBRA SIGHTS

Newly upgraded after extensive use on the Chechen battlefields, combat sight EKP-1S-03M is the latest version of the original side mounting AK model using AA battery type. Versions of this sight have been identified in photographs of SPETsNAZ forces in action in Chechnya, attached to the mounts of Russian AK-74M rifles.

<snip>

I just ordered one today. As a matter of fact, Yuri sent a personal note saying it would go out Monday.. Can you imagine such customer service? Writing on a Sunday..The guy is going to go far. Especially if he keeps good product.

Many American companies could learn from him...
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:14:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Montag:

"EKP-1S-03M KOBRA SIGHTS

<snip>

I just ordered one today. As a matter of fact, Yuri sent a personal note saying it would go out Monday.. Can you imagine such customer service? Writing on a Sunday..The guy is going to go far. Especially if he keeps good product.

no kidding, coincidentally, I just ordered one as well and he sent me an email telling me it would ship tomorrow and I would most likely get it on wednesday (I live a lot closer to him than you). I can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:40:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cduarte:

Originally Posted By Montag:

"EKP-1S-03M KOBRA SIGHTS

<snip>

no kidding, coincidentally, I just ordered one as well and he sent me an email telling me it would ship tomorrow and I would most likely get it on wednesday (I live a lot closer to him than you). I can't wait to get it.

Picked mine up from the post office this morning.

Woohoo!

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:30:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shadowblade:

Woohoo!

mine just came, and with a little persuasion, it's on the rifle now! yeah baby, yeah I really like it. I can't wait until friday now, so I can go shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:44:07 AM EDT
Mine showed up today in AZ. Ordered it Sunday night. Yuri did good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:23:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Shadowblade:

Woohoo!

mine just came, and with a little persuasion, it's on the rifle now! h I really like it. I can't wait until friday now, so I can go shoot it.

I thought I read that your weapon was down? Or do you just have many toys?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:35:45 PM EDT
while I do have many toys, I will be shooting my SAR2 at the range on friday, to see if some of the fixes suggested worked. It doesn't misfire all the fime, just 9-10%. Either way, I'll get it fixed. I'll also be shooting my Winchester M1.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:01:52 PM EDT

while I do have many toys, I will be shooting my SAR2 at the range on friday, to see if some of the fixes suggested worked. It doesn't misfire all the fime, just 9-10%. Either way, I'll get it fixed. I'll also be shooting my Winchester M1.

Glad to hear it! BTW, just received my cobra today as well!! Also, where did you get the SAR2??? Inquiring minds wanna know??
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:59:17 PM EDT
I bought the sar2 at Valley Firearms in Shelton, CT.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:45:27 PM EDT
I can't wait to sight mine in this week if the weather is decent on my day off, pretty sure it's the 1S model
Top Top