Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/10/2003 2:53:23 PM EDT
Received from Tantal a few minutes ago:

Kobra sight situation update 10 Aug 03

As you are probably aware, we remain out of stock on all models of Kobra sights. This situation is the result of an unexpected high demand, coupled with the inability of the factory to provide an inventory available for shipping at this time. In fact, the availability of the Kobra sight worldwide (including Russia) is almost nonexistent at the present time.

We have been in contact with factory representatives on a constant basis to make sure that any available shipments originating from the factory will be available to our customers. The factory is in the process of restructuring its international sales, while at the same time streamlining its production lines. Kobra sight production is only a very small part of the product line, which includes all sorts of large medical equipment and electronic devices. Presently Kobra production has been severely curtailed for whatever reasons that are unclear, at least to me. I feel that this situation is due to the economic woes concerning the other equipment they manufacture.

In any case, we are presently negotiating to secure a contract that will insure a steady supply of these sights, which I am confident will happen. I have an excellent reputation within Russia as a company that has supported these products for many years and we have good standing business relations with the sales and engineering departments of the factory, all of which have pledged their support. Although Kobra production may not be the major line in the factory, it is a desirable and most likely profitable item for them.

At this time, I'm going to make it clear that we are not currently accepting any more prepaid orders for these sights. Not until we have a positive word from them that we are making progress and the next shipment is being prepared. I also want to again ask anyone who is currently on a prepaid waiting status with us to decide if they wish to continue to wait, or request an immediate refund. If they decide to wait, I can assure them their money is safe and readily available at any time they wish to seek a return.

As soon as any change in this situation occurs, we would be glad to notify you and accept prepaid pre-orders for those who wish to reserve a unit. I would expect to have some news that will be passed along within the next 2-3 weeks. If the same situation remains unchanged for more than sixty days, I am going to issue automatic refunds to all individuals who remain on our prepaid reservation listing at the current time for all models of Kobra sights.

I will place your name on the notification listing at this time. I wish to thank you for your interest and this opportunity to make a possible future sale. Each and every prospective customer is very important to us. I just wish we currently have the products to meet your needs.

Regards,
Tantal

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Bummer, I was just looking to buy a Kobra.[>(]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn that sucks!  I already have one, but Tantal is the man for Russian optics.  He says he will get more in, and it is most likely worth the wait.

His customer service is tops!

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow...good timing on my part.  Im putting mine in the EE very shortly
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow...good timing on my part.  Im putting mine in the EE very shortly

How much??
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
$214.76

...American Express Travelers Checks only

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Supply is currently dead in the water, would you like your money back now or stay at the head of the line? Can't be more honest or cooperative with your customers than that. Even when he can not get the goods, Tantal's service is tops!

Note the absence of the following words: heartless, asshole, moron.

Note the absence of a privacy copyright or disclaimer from his atty attached to the message.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Freedom Optics has Kobra sights in stock, I just bought one.

Go to www.freedomoptics.com and look there.

Edited to add: I didn't know about the coupon code when I bought mine, it was $144.95.  With the "AR15" coupon its 5% off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to wait to buy from Tantal as he is one of "us". However, with eyes as old as mine iron sights are a moot point beyond 50 yards or so. If all I have are iron sights, a rifle is pretty useless.

I decided to take a chance on Yuri at freedomoptics.com. The goods arrived as advertised: New in wrapper/box, case, adjustment tool etc.

How long did it take? Funny you should ask. From the time I hit the "SUBMIT" button on Paypal, the scope travelled from New York to my office in Arizona in (I'm not making this up) 71 hours and 23 minutes.

Would I recommend freedomoptics.com? What do you think?

SD
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Freedom Optics has Kobra sights in stock, I just bought one.

Go to www.freedomoptics.com and look there.

Edited to add: I didn't know about the coupon code when I bought mine, it was $144.95.  With the "AR15" coupon its 5% off.

Hello Phil,

Is this the sight you ordered? Cobra (Kobra) Model EKP-1S-03M Red Dot Sight?

I just sent them a message asking if they had anymore in stock. I notice from the design and the specs that there is no magnification. I don't know if my eyes could do it on their own. I only need reading glasses but that's a big problem with non-magnified sights. <sigh>

Would I need something like the POSP 8x42VD AK Riflescope (AK Mount) they advertised or would the Kobra be ok? I'm not looking to reach way out an touch someone. Just something that is equal to the gun's ability. I don't need the Hubble observatory or anything.

Thanks....

BTW, I plan on using it with a SAM 7S most likely...

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hello Phil,

Is this the sight you ordered? Cobra (Kobra) Model EKP-1S-03M Red Dot Sight?

I just sent them a message asking if they had anymore in stock. I notice from the design and the specs that there is no magnification. I don't know if my eyes could do it on their own. I only need reading glasses but that's a big problem with non-magnified sights. <sigh>

Would I need something like the POSP 8x42VD AK Riflescope (AK Mount) they advertised or would the Kobra be ok? I'm not looking to reach way out an touch someone. Just something that is equal to the gun's ability. I don't need the Hubble observatory or anything.

Thanks....

BTW, I plan on using it with a SAM 7S most likely...

That's the sight I bought.  Red dot sights are normally non-magnifying.  If you only use reading glasses, you should be OK.  It's easier to aim with a red dot sight as the "red dot" is virtually in the same focus plane as the target, thus your eyes wouldn't have to switch focus between iron sight and the target.  If you are looking to shoot at targets within 25-75 yards, IMHO any magnifying scope would be overkill.

It would be the best if you try somebody else's red dot sight (not necessarily a Kobra) to see if it fits your eyes.  

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's the sight I bought.  Red dot sights are normally non-magnifying.  If you only use reading glasses, you should be OK.  It's easier to aim with a red dot sight as the "red dot" is virtually in the same focus plane as the target, thus your eyes wouldn't have to switch focus between iron sight and the target.  If you are looking to shoot at targets within 25-75 yards, IMHO any magnifying scope would be overkill.

It would be the best if you try somebody else's red dot sight (not necessarily a Kobra) to see if it fits your eyes.  

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I doubt anyone has anything like that around here. But I doubt I'd want to try to use it beyond 100 meters. I have other rifles that are for that.The Kobra is probably the way to go. I'll see if I can pick one up.

Btw, what other Kobra models are there? I believe I see where some adjustments on the one I'm looking to buy are underneath the sight itself while the newer ones I believe are on the side. Did I get that right? I found the info on the Russian AK sight. I'm sure I fould it up though....

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Btw, what other Kobra models are there? I believe I see where some adjustments on the one I'm looking to buy are underneath the sight itself while the newer ones I believe are on the side.

See my post Kobra vs. Kobra in the OPTICS section.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Is this the post you meant?

Yup.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Just recieved this update from Tantal:

Brian, thank you for asking about these. The month of august is some sort of Orthodox religious holiday in Russia and not much can be done, believe it or not, for the entire month. Because of this, it is taking a lot longer to get the contracts finished. I am hoping to get the arraignments completed at least by the middle of this month. I am very sorry I am not able to help you at this time.

Regards,
Tantal

Just figured I'd let everyone know.

I'm going to buy these things from Tantal one way or another...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Or die trying!  Seems like a good guy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Tantal is the best.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top