Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/8/2006 3:40:10 PM EDT
I am in the market for a kobra to use on my arsenal ak but I don't know which battery is better the camera or the AA. By better I mean longer life being most important if both are readily available. Can you smart asses folks give me some thoughts? I was gonna buy one used but most are selling within 20 bucks of tantal so now I am forced to make a choice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:47:42 PM EDT
I've got the kind that uses the small quarter sized batteries...I've taken it out several times, and have not noticed it getting any dimmer...also I screw around with it at home sometimes, so I've used it quite a bit....they say it will hold-up for about 70 hrs. constant use. I guess I need to stock up on batteries for SHTF senarios...they're easy to find at Wallmart, or any drugstore. I don't know how the AA batteries hold up, but I'm sure they're comparable...good-luck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:48:11 PM EDT
I prefer the 'AA' version myself as I already own lots of rechargeable AA batteries plus have a solar charger should the SHTF.
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:55:49 PM EDT
Go for the AA model, it too has the professed 70 hr battery life. Though i have not continuously run the batteries in a test, I have had the sight on for a total time exceeding 70 hrs. The reason for the coin cell type batteries is not total run time, but instead, better extreme cold weather performance. If you choose the coin cell model you should choose it for its other merits such as a a raised lens housing to clear the elevation dial for a better view. My advice to go with the AA model, because it comes with the anti glint hood, and flip caps to cover the windage and elevation dials. Both are good models i just prefer the AA operation, cheaper batteries in the long run, and rechargable if u wanted to go that way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:48:04 PM EDT
I just bought one this weekend from a guy I know ,and it has 2 -3.6 volt batteries in it, is this the same as AA batteries?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:30:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spaceghost:
I just bought one this weekend from a guy I know ,and it has 2 -3.6 volt batteries in it, is this the same as AA batteries?

No. That sounds like one of the old original Kobras that use a special 3v battery that's the same size as the AA but 2x the voltage. Pricey, but Radio Shack used to carry them. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:15:36 AM EDT

AA batteries run at 1.5V
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:34:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zaphar:

AA batteries run at 1.5V

True, but the original military Kobra uses a special AA-sized 3v battery.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:27:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hank_612:
I am in the market for a kobra to use on my arsenal ak but I don't know which battery is better the camera or the AA. By better I mean longer life being most important if both are readily available. Can you smart asses folks give me some thoughts? I was gonna buy one used but most are selling within 20 bucks of tantal so now I am forced to make a choice.

I've got one of each. The "AA" version is easier to change batteries on. My coin-type sight is for a weaver rail and has to be removed from the weapon to change the batteries. I assume the siderail version also has to be removed? It's no big deal, as the sight seems to return to zero when reattached.

When I bought the "AA" version I put new batteries in it (cheapo generic AA batteries) and left it on at full brightness. After 70 hours or so, the sight was just starting to dim. The sight continued to run for about 100 hours or so. The dot was usable for most of that time.

I haven't tried this with the coin-type sight.

Either is a good choice but I'd have to go with the "AA" version. Get some rechargeables for it and use the crap out of it!
Top Top