Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/19/2004 2:33:36 PM EDT
My SAR1 is going to be my "AWB- Sunset" project since my AR's are already where I want them to be...

I was thinking about a Kobra optic.  My other option was an Ultimak Rail with an EoTech...but that seems like it'd heat up wicked fast and melt the EoTech right off!!!  I tend to put alot of rounds downrange when I bring the ol' AK to the range.

Anyway, I was thinking the Kobra might be the winner here.  I did a search but don't see a ton of reviews.

The AK isn't an ultra-accurate weapon...so IMHO if I'm getting 12" groups at 200 yards (which I am) then I'm doing fine.  How's the Kobra stack up?  Should I just stick to the irons and save my money?  Opinions anyone?  Gripes?  Praises?  I'd like to see some feedback here.

Freedom Optics has them for a good price freedomoptics.com/Comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=101
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an HoloSight ( which you know is the "cheap EOTech" ) on one and a Kopra or Kobra on another.

I like them both.  The Holo/Ultimak combo does get hot.  I have wondered if I was going to melt that puppy, but it holds up.  The EOTech should do even better, I would think.  The shield should help disapate the heat better.  I don't do mag dumps, though.

I prefer the reticle of the Holo.  65 outer ring and 1 dot.

That tiny dot in the Kobra is hard to see sometimes!

The Kobra would certainly be the cheaper way to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my Kobra just fine.  It aint no aimpoint.... and it doesnt have to be!  I can ring steel at 300yds all day long with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Kobra works fine for me....

Sighting in gets 'interesting' due to the fact that the dials are marked in, well, Russian....

Apart from that, no complaints...

I like the small dot, and generally use the 'Dot over Chevron' reticle (which puts a nice red chevron below the dot so you don't 'loose' your dot)...

Oh yeah, I have a Gen II sight...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I use dot over chevron as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up my Kobra about 8 months ago from Freedom Optics. Paid $125 shipped for it. On my SAM-7s I get 2-3 inch five shot groups at 100 yards using Uly ammo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My first generation kobra blows dead gaots.  The controls were designed by an alcoholic dodo bird.

The later models are very nice.

lol I don't know what 'gaots' are but I assume it ain't pretty.  How do the Kobra's hold zero with that side rail mount?  I guess....if I had to dig through my own intricate psyche to find the real reason I started this thread...was in hopes that someone would assure me that the EoTech/Ultimak combo wouldn't get that hot after a few mags and would be the more sensible answer!

I keep forgetting though, that it's an AK47....

and that spending more than the rifle is worth would be........ so AR15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd suggest checking out the PK-01 and PK-A series of optics rather than the Kobras.  At the price the latter currently sell, they no longer appear to be a good value.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've owned/used both the Eotech & the Kobra on my AKs. If the Kobra was still selling for $150 then it would get the nod even with the &$%#@#$ windage/elevation adjustments (once it's sighted in no need to touch them again). However, with the Kobra's increased price I find the Eotech on the BP-02 low weaver mount preferable for my needs (much longer battery life, easier to use controls/adjustments, superior [IMHO] reticle).
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I love mine.  Just need to get an AKS-74 for it....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I love mine.  Just need to get an AK-74S for it....

One of these?

AKS-74. Folding butt version for the airborne troops

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, one of those things.  

Grammar Nazis.........sheeshhhh.........
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I have enjoyed my Kobra site, easy to zero, minimal poa shift from being removed to clean the rifle. Insofar as accuracy the farthest shot at a local range is 200 meters, so keeping them (bullets) on the target is not a problem. I would have to say this is the best 119.00 I have spent on a optic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Kobra works fine for me....

Sighting in gets 'interesting' due to the fact that the dials are marked in, well, Russian....

Apart from that, no complaints...

I like the small dot, and generally use the 'Dot over Chevron' reticle (which puts a nice red chevron below the dot so you don't 'loose' your dot)...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with the Russian markings on the adjusting knobs.  I sighted in a PK-AV on my SAR3 recently and kept getting myself screwed up since I forgot which way to turn the knobs.  I got close enough - the red dot is about 4moa on the PK-AV so it isn't a precision aiming device by any means.  I can actually fire the SAR3 faster and more accurately with the iron sights (Go figure!)  After the Sunset, I'm putting it on my 7.62 Hungarian (which will have a folder on it by then).  It should suit the folder better, can't really get a solid cheek weld anyway with those.
Sorry for the hijack!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The adjustment knobs on the PK-01V are in French.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#20]
The one I played with, the recticle bounced with recoil.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Had mine for a few years now.....  its been dropped ......removed countless times during cleaning .....-20 degree weather..... no defects kept good groups out to 200 yards with SAR1 then mounted and dialed in to AK74 really tight groups unreal!!!!!....nice rugged col sight. Remember these things were designed to be used in some pretty crappy weather in Russia......I am real happy with it. Yes dialing it in was a interesting introduction to cyrillic!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got one for my SAR-2. Very fast aquisition, the dot over chevron is a great aiming aid as well...

Downside is you can't use irons with it on, upside is that it comes off in a second.

I've had mine for 2+ years now, I think..maybe 3? It's always held it's zero; grouping at 100 yards each time is always the same, same spot, everything.

The only time I had to re-adjust it was after I sent it off to Gunplumber to put on a threaded Romy front sight block and refinish the rifle. The brake changed the POI a bit, but nothing that 5 minutes of diddling with the sight couldn't fix. (moving the front sight post in the FSB was another ordeal, but that's zeroed now too).

Tantal was whom I bought mine from; I got the  EKP8-02 model. If you can, get the sunshade for it as well; it helps if you're in a really bright environment (like, outside on a perfect day)...that's the one thing I didn't get and should probably pick up soon.  Email Tantal for prices and whatnot; he's a great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After the Sunset, I'm putting it on my 7.62 Hungarian (which will have a folder on it by then).  It should suit the folder better, can't really get a solid cheek weld anyway with those.
Sorry for the hijack!

That's what I was thinking too....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
After the Sunset, I'm putting it on my 7.62 Hungarian (which will have a folder on it by then).  It should suit the folder better, can't really get a solid cheek weld anyway with those.
Sorry for the hijack!

I hope that that is not an underfolder, as I think most underfolders do not have allow the use of a side-mounted scope rail.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry for the hijack!

I hope that that is not an underfolder, as I think most underfolders do not have allow the use of a side-mounted scope rail.  hr

Nope, it's a Romanian side folder.  Folds to the opposite side of the receiver as the mounting plate.  I trimmed it to fit at the same time as I did all the 922r work and installed the side plate, so come 9/14, I'm just turning screws.  Even have the sling already on the folder.  I ordered some of the Silver Bear "match", once I get it, I'm going to the range to zero the PK-AV for the SA85M.
By the way, the PK-AV sits over the centerline of the bore and high enough so you can still use the iron sites with the sight mounted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#26]
My SAR1 will have the following:

Folding stock as mentioned above
Tri-rail lower hanguard
Kobra
BMAS folding grip
RSA Trigger
RSA Mojo Sight
RSA Ergo grip
Streamlight M6

Together the accessories are worth WAY more than the SAR1...lol...but hey, same logic applies to my AR so it's all good.

Come on Sept 14th!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys with Kobras...  do you think the reticle is a little on the dim side?  Don't you wish it were a little bit brighter?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You guys with Kobras...  do you think the reticle is a little on the dim side?  Don't you wish it were a little bit brighter?

No, because it has adjustable brightness levels.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I really like mine.  I have it mounted on my Saiga 12 guage.  Holds zero just fine with all that recoil.

Never had a problem sighting it in.  The knobs were logical to figure out.  The brightness is adjustable.

Had a red dot on an Ultimak mount on my SLR-95.  Didn't like the Ultimak because it was a pain to clean, unless removed.  Removing it messed with zero.

I have an EOtech on my FAL.  Very nice, but man was it expensive.

I would put a kobra on my ak, but not sure waht the prices are now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone have the skinny on the price increase? I know there's been a solid demand for several years and there have been some design improvements, the Kobra prices have really taken a leap though. I have an older EKP-1S-01 but I wouldn't have spent $200+.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I paid like 139 (from cdnn IIRC) before they ran out and its been fine on an AR (don't tell anyone). The different reticle choices are cool, but the adjustments took some figgerin' out. I put one on a buddy's SAR-1 and its been solid also. His needed some major adjustment to zero with the low profile side mount, but seems to hold okay.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
well, everything is ordered!  I'll post a detailed report with pics AFTER 9/14!

Ironically, 9/14 is also my wedding anniversary!  I'll not forget this year!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I recieved the Kobra from Yuri at  Freedom Optics - superb customer service.  Placed the order Friday afternoon and had it in my hands Monday at lunch.

Read the manual, mounted it on the AK, turned it on and cleared my basement a couple of times.  This rig kicks ass.  

I love this optic.  I'm hitting the range tomorrow!  I like the 1.8 MOA dot over the Chevron.  Sturdy mount too, this set up is a solid one.

H
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Roger that...

I also bought an ergo grip (mimics the G27 grip design).  I plan on stowing a couple AA's in there.

I noticed the same thing about the chevron.  The way I see it, I'll always opt for the dot-over-chevron reticule.  Seems to be the best choice out of the 4 options.  I'm also amazed at the BMAS folding grip....it's a lot higher quality than I assumed it would be.  I really like it.  Same dimensions as the Tango Down grip, only folds flat against the handguard - pretty sweet.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top