Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:30 PM EDT
Im contemplating changing the black furniture on my Arsenal SLR-105A1R from black to plum.  Does anyone here know if the plum furniture set Kvar has is actually russian as they say?  If so, does this mean it was from a demilled russian AK-74, or from a demilled bulgarian AK-74 with russian furniture?  Lastly, can anyone comment on how their US plum pistol grip looks/matches with the set?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of their sets. The grip matches just fine. I was told, per Bob, that these are pulled off from Bulgarian 74's but they originated in Russia. The only problem is they are only marked with a number here and there like most Bulgarian stuff. No Izhevsk triangle unfortunately!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It is Russian,some is new take off or unissued.  I have not seen a complete set to compare but my US plum grips are a pretty good match to my used/excellent Soviet plum stuff.

You need to  realize that if you swap 2 US parts for Soviet you will need to replace 2 others with US parts.  If you do it we need pics!

Edit..I knew Templar would post those pics!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, and that brings me to the next question.....   What parts can I replace with US parts to make everything legit?  To my knowledge the trigger group is already US made, and since I will still be using a US pistol grip, that puts me at 4 parts.  The only other part I can think of to replace would be the gas piston, would that be enough?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, and that brings me to the next question.....   What parts can I replace with US parts to make everything legit?  To my knowledge the trigger group is already US made, and since I will still be using a US pistol grip, that puts me at 4 parts.  The only other part I can think of to replace would be the gas piston, would that be enough?

Gas piston and some one is making a AK74 muzzle break....can't remember who.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda off topic, but is there any advantage to the plum color or was the color mix wrong one day and some russian guy thought it looked cool?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gas piston and some one is making a AK74 muzzle break....can't remember who.

www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html#ak74brake
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The story goes like this...............at the time they went from wood to black plastic (polymide?) the chemical or die used to achieve the black color caused the material to become brittle (not good). As they removed enough of it to get the plastic to behave like normal plastic they ended up with the "plum" color. Things have apparently improved in the chemical industry in Russia as they now have BLACK stocks that are tough as nails. So the story goes................
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kinda off topic, but is there any advantage to the plum color or was the color mix wrong one day and some russian guy thought it looked cool?

When the Russians switched to synthetic, they wanted black.  The dye that they were using was making the synthetic too soft, so they went with the darkest color they could and still have a good polymer, it turned out to be the plum.

They've since fixed the dye issue and all new Russian synthetic has been black for many years.

A lot of us like the plum because it represents later Afghan War, first Chechen War.  A lot of AKS-74's are still in inventory and being used with the plum stocks.

WOW.......you were posting while I was typing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you big time. It was just too odd of a color for it to millitaty issue. But with that explaination it makes perfect sence.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies, now I just have to get a set ordered from Kvar!  Who sells the best condition plum mags?  Kvar or ORF?  Looks like both have a set of 4 with pouch in the $100 range.  Oh and whats with all the black paint on some of the mags?  I only have 1 that I ordered from KVAR and it had black overspray on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I love Plumb!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Did most of you get your plum stock sets from KVAR?  I see that tantal offers a set that is hand selected for the pieces to match in color, but its a bit more expensive than the set KVAR sells....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My K-Var set matched perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought two plum sets from k var, and the pistol grip matchs great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Do these have any ink stampings or mold numbers on them?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do these have any ink stampings or mold numbers on them?

yes, just on the stock one of mine has a A inside of a circle stamped on it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Did most of you get your plum stock sets from KVAR?  I see that tantal offers a set that is hand selected for the pieces to match in color, but its a bit more expensive than the set KVAR sells....

A waste of money in my opinion.

Of the Plum pieces that I have gotten, either direct from Russia, Via Bulgaria and the US market, and even K-var's US made stuff, never had to match it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I will be getting the KVAR set then, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Honestly, I would go with the Kvar US made set anyway.. Pretty sure its made on Bulgarian or Russian (via Bulgaria) made molds anyway.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top